RAMONES

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: RAMONES

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:02am
Am I in the minority because I have no interest in hearing EOTC de-Specterized?
As someone here famously said (I can't remember who) but can't it be both?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:38am
JennyB wrote:
I always thought the demos were basically the de-Specterized versions. And they are fine, but I prefer the final versions.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I always thought the demos were basically the de-Specterized versions. And they are fine, but I prefer the final versions.
Yes I agree. The new box sets have the albums mono counterparts and they are proving to be the best versions of any of the Ramones stuff. The remasters/mixes are great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The boxes have been excellent. I might be academically interested in an alternate mix of EOTC, but not out of any sense of being unhappy with the album as it is now. It's a reat record, and Spector's production is top notch. Musicians aren't always the best at assessing their own output.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 2:56pm
The boxes have been excellent. I might be academically interested in an alternate mix of EOTC, but not out of any sense of being unhappy with the album as it is now. It's a reat record, and Spector's production is top notch. Musicians aren't always the best at assessing their own output.

Much truth spoken here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Ed Stasium writes a bunch about It's Alive: https://pleasekillme.com/ramones-its-al ... bjmEL_djo8

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 9:40pm
Ed Stasium writes a bunch about It's Alive: https://pleasekillme.com/ramones-its-al ... bjmEL_djo8
I remember buying the vinyl back in the day and being blown away. Such a fantastic show.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 12:09pm
matedog wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yes I agree. The new box sets have the albums mono counterparts and they are proving to be the best versions of any of the Ramones stuff. The remasters/mixes are great.
Going back to this. I checked the first album remaster back in October and although the sound is good it's still heavily brickwalled.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

EOTC is such a unique anomaly in the Ramones catalog, I do love it as it is but I would like to hear it without all the Spector "wall of sound". I don't know how it would sound, I don't think it will be like the demos I think it will be more like the Stasium version of RnR High School.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 4:14pm
EOTC is such a unique anomaly in the Ramones catalog, I do love it as it is but I would like to hear it without all the Spector "wall of sound". I don't know how it would sound, I don't think it will be like the demos I think it will be more like the Stasium version of RnR High School.
Yep this.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Haven’t listened to much live Ramones. What’s the general consensus best place to start?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 1:16am
Haven’t listened to much live Ramones. What’s the general consensus best place to start?
the king biscuit flower hour release is the fuckin' tits. recorded a week after it's alive and benefits from playing at the correct speed and no overdubs. great, great performance. it's alive is their second best live record. just such peak-era RAMONES.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 1:32am
matedog wrote:
the king biscuit flower hour release is the fuckin' tits. recorded a week after it's alive and benefits from playing at the correct speed and no overdubs. great, great performance. it's alive is their second best live record. just such peak-era RAMONES.
My favorite footage is that German show from like 78.ill see if I can track down king biscuit.

I remember something about overdubs on Alive but was susrprised they didn’t mention it in that article.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
I second this opinion. It is simply fantastic. It's available as "NYC 1978". It's pretty much the same set as It's Alive - but as Flex pointed out - no overdubs...so it comes across rougher (and more fun in my opinion). Honestly, both of those discs are essential. There are a handful of later day live releases: Loco Live, Greatest Hits Live, We're Outta Here...and while they're not awful - they simply don't compare to the early live recordings.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 10:24am
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
My favorite footage is that German show from like 78.ill see if I can track down king biscuit.

I remember something about overdubs on Alive but was susrprised they didn’t mention it in that article.
I think that comment comes from Marky Ramone...who wasn't even in the band when it was recorded. He claims the entire album (except for the drums) was re-recorded in the studio.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble