Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 5:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 4:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 4:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 12:34pm

Pleasant Dreams is sort of a lost classic in my opinion. I'd even place it ahead of fan fave Too Tough to Die if I were ranking their albums. I don't think Graham Gouldman was the right producer for them - but they somehow made an enjoyable together.
I think it's great and some producers work better than others of course. But then the RAMONES were not just 1234 go they were sixties bubblegum pop with elements of glam. Fuck every time I talk about them it makes me realise just how much I miss them.
I gave it a spin today after Matey mentioned it - and there really isn't a bad track on it. It feels like a natural progression from Road to Ruin (as does End of the Century, for that matter) - the "classic" sound is still there - but there is also a lot of bubblegum, girl group, and pop thrown into the mix. Subterranean Jungle has always been more difficult for me - there is something about the sound that doesn't quite hook me. The first 4 albums are unimpeachable - but there is some really good stuff in the second half of their discography if one is willing to put in the time.
I like all their albums. There are some great tracks on SJ Psycho Therapy, Highest Trails Above, Outsider. I love their cover of Liitle Bit O' Soul.

Weird, I thought Little Bit O'Soul was an Equals original.I have some big gaps in my music knowledge.
Hello,

Chambers Brothers, if I recall. I like that track a lot as well. Everytime I Eat Vegetables It Makes Me Think of You is a great track. I originally wanted to consider it a novelty track but it's stuck with me as something more.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: RAMONES

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 11:46pm
matedog wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 5:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 4:24pm

I think it's great and some producers work better than others of course. But then the RAMONES were not just 1234 go they were sixties bubblegum pop with elements of glam. Fuck every time I talk about them it makes me realise just how much I miss them.
I gave it a spin today after Matey mentioned it - and there really isn't a bad track on it. It feels like a natural progression from Road to Ruin (as does End of the Century, for that matter) - the "classic" sound is still there - but there is also a lot of bubblegum, girl group, and pop thrown into the mix. Subterranean Jungle has always been more difficult for me - there is something about the sound that doesn't quite hook me. The first 4 albums are unimpeachable - but there is some really good stuff in the second half of their discography if one is willing to put in the time.
I like all their albums. There are some great tracks on SJ Psycho Therapy, Highest Trails Above, Outsider. I love their cover of Liitle Bit O' Soul.

Weird, I thought Little Bit O'Soul was an Equals original.I have some big gaps in my music knowledge.
Hello,

Chambers Brothers, if I recall. I like that track a lot as well. Everytime I Eat Vegetables It Makes Me Think of You is a great track. I originally wanted to consider it a novelty track but it's stuck with me as something more.
Sadly old pal your memory has let you down. The Chambers Brothers song that the Ramones covered was/is "Time Has Come Today".

"Little Bit O' Soul" was originally recorded in 1965 by "The Little Darlings" then again in 1967 by The Music Explosion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Sub Jungle has a place in my heart but I think Pleasant Dreams has better songs, SJ could have used a tougher production and more originals. What's killer about SJ is Psychotherapy, Time and Outsider

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 9:18am
Sub Jungle has a place in my heart but I think Pleasant Dreams has better songs, SJ could have used a tougher production and more originals. What's killer about SJ is Psychotherapy, Time and Outsider
Yeah, I've always felt that the production lacks punch. There are definitely some good tracks - but overall - they sound worn out.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 5:09am
gkbill wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Hello,

Sadly old pal your memory has let you down. The Chambers Brothers song that the Ramones covered was/is "Time Has Come Today".

"Little Bit O' Soul" was originally recorded in 1965 by "The Little Darlings" then again in 1967 by The Music Explosion.

The faster tempo really improves the song.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 11:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

I love the Ramones version best but I also think it's a solid song and like all the versions I've heard.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 1:16pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
matedog wrote:

Hello,

I love the Ramones version best but I also think it's a solid song and like all the versions I've heard.
Maybe because I grew up on the oldies station, but I actually prefer the original. But it’s a great song in every version.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 1:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Maybe because I grew up on the oldies station, but I actually prefer the original. But it’s a great song in every version.
I think Joeys vocals are really great on that track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 2:32pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

One of THE most underrated vocalists in rock music.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 2:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

You are correct sir. Joey had an amazing way of rhyming that is truly unique to him.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 3:08pm
Wolter wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 2:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

You are correct sir. Joey had an amazing way of rhyming that is truly unique to him.
And capable of heartbreaking emotional truth.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Especially when you consider his awkward beginning with a faux British accent, he really grew into the part as frontman. I love the videos from 74 and 75 he is so awkward on stage

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:29am
Especially when you consider his awkward beginning with a faux British accent, he really grew into the part as frontman. I love the videos from 74 and 75 he is so awkward on stage
Yeah those clips are great. He is so lanky and the oddest looking frontman but that's the real charm. Then he stands with his leg back so he is the correct height at the Mike. It all just clicks with Dee Dee and Johnny moving and jumping in unison brilliant stuff. To be honest it's really amazing they existed at all when you consider the music of the time they had to break through.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Oops.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:35am
coffeepotman wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:29am
Yeah those clips are great. He is so lanky and the oddest looking frontman but that's the real charm. Then he stands with his leg back so he is the correct height at the Mike. It all just clicks with Dee Dee and Johnny moving and jumping in unison brilliant stuff. To be honest it's really amazing they existed at all when you consider the music of the time they had to break through.
I was explaining that to my wife who isn't old enough to have seen them, the choreography that went into their shows was amazing. I'll never forget the first time I saw them, Johnny and Dee Dee moving in unison from upstage to backstage. Johnny twirling around with his guitar, both of them moving forward standing on the monitors at the same time. These were not stupid people, they had a plan, they executed with military precision.