gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: RAMONES

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:35am
coffeepotman wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 9:29am
Especially when you consider his awkward beginning with a faux British accent, he really grew into the part as frontman. I love the videos from 74 and 75 he is so awkward on stage
Yeah those clips are great. He is so lanky and the oddest looking frontman but that's the real charm. Then he stands with his leg back so he is the correct height at the Mike. It all just clicks with Dee Dee and Johnny moving and jumping in unison brilliant stuff. To be honest it's really amazing they existed at all when you consider the music of the time they had to break through.
Hello,

This is very true having been in High School/undergrad at the time. The cool people just didn't get it. Now, they (and their kids) are all wearing Ramones T's.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 8:54am
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Especially when you consider his awkward beginning with a faux British accent, he really grew into the part as frontman. I love the videos from 74 and 75 he is so awkward on stage
Yeah those clips are great. He is so lanky and the oddest looking frontman but that's the real charm. Then he stands with his leg back so he is the correct height at the Mike. It all just clicks with Dee Dee and Johnny moving and jumping in unison brilliant stuff. To be honest it's really amazing they existed at all when you consider the music of the time they had to break through.
I was explaining that to my wife who isn't old enough to have seen them, the choreography that went into their shows was amazing. I'll never forget the first time I saw them, Johnny and Dee Dee moving in unison from upstage to backstage. Johnny twirling around with his guitar, both of them moving forward standing on the monitors at the same time. These were not stupid people, they had a plan, they executed with military precision.
Most definitely. I only got to see them live once (which I'm very thankful for) - but they totally knew how to put forward a great live presentation!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
As is often he case I think the stars were just aligned at the right time like the Beatles and the Cavern and Mersey Beat. The Ramones and CBGB were made for each other thanks to the vision of Hilly Kristal, as long as you played original material you could play there and as most people got in free (certainly anyone who played there) there was always a crowd to play to.
Perfect way to create a movement.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 9:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
As is often he case I think the stars were just aligned at the right time like the Beatles and the Cavern and Mersey Beat. The Ramones and CBGB were made for each other thanks to the vision of Hilly Kristal, as long as you played original material you could play there and as most people got in free (certainly anyone who played there) there was always a crowd to play to.
Perfect way to create a movement.
The thing I like the most is how all those bands had their own style and attitude forming their own originality from their individual influences.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Yup you could see a bill with Television, Talking Heads, Blondie and the Ramones. None of those bands, except maybe Blondie, sound like anything that came before them. True artists in a very dark and dangerous world. The Bowery was not somewhere you wanted to be. I live around the corner and so many dark nights I would walk home and get excited because I'd see the lights and people at CB's and know I was almost there and didn't get jumped.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I like to sing beat on the brat as I'm putting the little Duder to bed so I sent that to the missus when I saw it and she thought it was pretty funny.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 9:38pm
I like to sing beat on the brat as I'm putting the little Duder to bed so I sent that to the missus when I saw it and she thought it was pretty funny.
Gotta be better than "the KKK took my baby away". 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Ah, yes, CJ. The young Ramone.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 12:03pm
Ah, yes, CJ. The young Ramone.
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Merry Christmas, I don't wanna fight tonight

(PJ Soles on the quote)
Attachments
ramones.jpg
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Direct from my imagination to actual, living reality.

Hear Joey Ramone Sing a Piece by John Cage Adapted from James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake

https://www.openculture.com/2013/09/hea ... -wake.html
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 7:01am

Hear Joey Ramone Sing a Piece by John Cage Adapted from James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake

This is great.
It's all ball bearings nowadays. - Irwin M. Fletcher

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 7:01am

Thanks for sharing that.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

The Ramones also played 4 33 in under 2 minutes.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?