Covering Album Covers

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2021, 7:14pm
Ex-Beatle, more money than Ganesh, yet goes with the kind of shit you'd expect from a bar band that scrapes together enough money to put out their collection of wretched covers of "Takin' Care of Business" and "Satisfaction."
Photograph by Gered Mankowitz. Some of his other work:

That's quite the disparity in quality.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2021, 8:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ex-Beatle, more money than Ganesh, yet goes with the kind of shit you'd expect from a bar band that scrapes together enough money to put out their collection of wretched covers of "Takin' Care of Business" and "Satisfaction."
But look at how happy George is. He's on cloud 9.
… thinking of how much he saved by getting some kid at the corner print shop to do his sleeve for an autographed photo.

edit: Holy crap, Hoy's post makes this much more depressing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2021, 8:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2021, 8:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
But look at how happy George is. He's on cloud 9.
… thinking of how much he saved by getting some kid at the corner print shop to do his sleeve for an autographed photo.

edit: Holy crap, Hoy's post makes this much more depressing.
:scared:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Makes me think of this:

GeorgeHarrisonCloud9.jpg
GeorgeHarrisonCloud9.jpg (182.77 KiB) Viewed 30823 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 6:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Makes me think of this:

GeorgeHarrisonCloud9.jpg
I don't know the reference/source. Little help?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 9:08am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Makes me think of this:

GeorgeHarrisonCloud9.jpg
Sorry, it's El Guapo from Three Amigos. The "It's a sweater!" scene. Just thought GH looked like El Guapo in the Cloud Nine photo.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 11:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Makes me think of this:

GeorgeHarrisonCloud9.jpg
Sorry, it's El Guapo from Three Amigos. The "It's a sweater!" scene. Just thought GH looked like El Guapo in the Cloud Nine photo.
I know I've seen it, but I honestly remember nothing about that film. Same time period, tho, no?

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 11:25am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Makes me think of this:

GeorgeHarrisonCloud9.jpg
I know I've seen it, but I honestly remember nothing about that film. Same time period, tho, no?
Yeah within a year or so, 1986-87.

matedog

Post by matedog »

What the hell happened in the mid 80s?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 12:08pm
It's neat how Bob and George embraced the same hairstyle. Let's call it the Wilbury. But that sleeve is seriously ugly. It's like a mid-80s archetype for album covers.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 11:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Makes me think of this:

GeorgeHarrisonCloud9.jpg
And men embraced fluffy hair.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 12:17pm
matedog wrote:
It's neat how Bob and George embraced the same hairstyle. Let's call it the Wilbury. But that sleeve is seriously ugly. It's like a mid-80s archetype for album covers.
Springsteen must have been miffed he didn't get into the WIlburys.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

matedog wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 12:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 12:17pm
matedog wrote:
Springsteen must have been miffed he didn't get into the WIlburys.
Ha, was just looking for a Springsteen image to post, but in my brief search couldn't find one with fluffy enough hair. Well done.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 12:19pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 11:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

And men embraced fluffy hair.
I think it was equally George's toothy grin and facial hair that made me think of El Guapo/Alfonso Arau.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Have we discussed what a god awful cover this is?