revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 7:36pm
101Walterton wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 7:25pm
Did sleeve art become less important with the move to cassette then CD then streaming?
When you used to have racks of LP sleeves it was important to stand out. Seems bizarre now but I remember working in a record shop when people would actually browse. They would often bring a sleeve to the counter and ask if it was any good or if they could listen based solely on the cover art.
Gut sense? Yes. Less real estate for the art and more competition in the racks based on the relative size of the cassette and cd to the lp. The cd booklet may have offered alternative means of visual expression, but as something to catch the eye on the racks? Uh uh.
Plus listening to an LP demanded a different mindset and lent itself to really looking at the cover art etc. When music became more portable it became a different listening experience. Ill say a large percent of my music listening is done while driving or while doing something else.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 7:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Did sleeve art become less important with the move to cassette then CD then streaming?
When you used to have racks of LP sleeves it was important to stand out. Seems bizarre now but I remember working in a record shop when people would actually browse. They would often bring a sleeve to the counter and ask if it was any good or if they could listen based solely on the cover art.
Gut sense? Yes. Less real estate for the art and more competition in the racks based on the relative size of the cassette and cd to the lp. The cd booklet may have offered alternative means of visual expression, but as something to catch the eye on the racks? Uh uh.
Plus listening to an LP demanded a different mindset and lent itself to really looking at the cover art etc. When music became more portable it became a different listening experience. Ill say a large percent of my music listening is done while driving or while doing something else.
Heh. You weren't inclined to get up and switch records after a song or two, so let it go and look at the sleeve. Which isn't to say that that was a superior form of listening, but the lp and staring at the sleeve did go together.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 8:05pm
revbob wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 7:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heh. You weren't inclined to get up and switch records after a song or two, so let it go and look at the sleeve. Which isn't to say that that was a superior form of listening, but the lp and staring at the sleeve did go together.
Yes they did and the more detail in the sleeve the more you studied it.
I am jealous of the young me who used to put a record on then sit and listen to it, I never do that now as Revbob said.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 9:32pm
I am jealous of the young me who used to put a record on then sit and listen to it, I never do that now as Revbob said.
Some cultural critics would argue that it's better that we not be so committed to the listening, that it controls us, that it's better to be distracted because it means we're more in control of our relationship to the art. I'm not advocating for one position or the other, only throwing out there that the lp format, to some critics, encourage a passivity to the art.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 9:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
Some cultural critics would argue that it's better that we not be so committed to the listening, that it controls us, that it's better to be distracted because it means we're more in control of our relationship to the art. I'm not advocating for one position or the other, only throwing out there that the lp format, to some critics, encourage a passivity to the art.
Hello,

I would substitute engaged for committed. If I'm engaged, I'm not necessarily committed - if I am committed, it's by choice. Speaking anecdotally about my youth, when people would ask what I did on an afternoon, I often replied "I listened to a couple of albums". Given all the options available today, I doubt any current youth would reply the same - perhaps "I listened to a couple of albums, watched a episode of whatever, uploaded a video to whatever platform, etc."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 11:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 9:49pm
101Walterton wrote:
Hello,

I would substitute engaged for committed. If I'm engaged, I'm not necessarily committed - if I am committed, it's by choice.
However one gets to that point, tho, the idea is that we go to the technology or medium, and then follow its lead. Telling us how to appreciate it. The cd remote or iPod button that lets us change the song whenever we want while we do something else is asserting authority over the experience.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 3:35pm
Kory wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 3:30pm
I would like to read this.
https://mega.nz/#!s4UgGYQb!bxEXB9cNBSk2 ... BSGUa1EviY

133mb download
I love this board. Thank you!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
I don't think so. There are some beautiful CD-era covers that can rival anything on an LP. I don't think size equals importance.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 12:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
I don't think so. There are some beautiful CD-era covers that can rival anything on an LP. I don't think size equals importance.
Yeah cover art was pretty important in that way. You couldnt just look stuff up on the internet and if you didn't see a review in some publication you were sometimes flying blind. Cover art would catch your eye and then you would check out song titles and personnel.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Chortle. I hate wine moms.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 10:53am
A couple years ago, a few of the middle-aged women on our block invited the Boss over for one of their regular "stitch n bitch" meetings. Which consisted of drinking wine, knitting/cross-stitching, and complaining. The Boss wasn't invited back because she didn't have much to contribute, especially when it came to complaining about the people who don't belong at the lake and ruin everyone's vacation.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
My community is full of wine moms and I'm now at the age (42) where I personally know quite a few. Their Facebook feeds are full of wine related "joke" memes: "I saved a glass of wine today. It was tripped in a bottle" sort of stuff. There is also a real "bubble mentality" thing that goes on in my town. People tend to get very insular and only want to hang out with one another - which goes hand in hand with the whole wine culture. There is also a lot of joking about how they need wine to just get through their difficult lives: taking Johnny to soccer practice, selling homemade jewelry, planning the next vacation to Disney World (wine moms also tend to be Disney moms).

We also tend to have a lot of local festivals. My town likes to think it's very quaint and cute. We just had one last weekend called "Hay Days" and the wine moms were out in force: REO Speedwagon tribute band on Satuday night, craft fair, farmer's market.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 11:24am
JennyB wrote:
My community is full of wine moms and I'm now at the age (42) where I personally know quite a few. Their Facebook feeds are full of wine related "joke" memes: "I saved a glass of wine today. It was tripped in a bottle" sort of stuff. There is also a real "bubble mentality" thing that goes on in my town. People tend to get very insular and only want to hang out with one another - which goes hand in hand with the whole wine culture. There is also a lot of joking about how they need wine to just get through their difficult lives: taking Johnny to soccer practice, selling homemade jewelry, planning the next vacation to Disney World (wine moms also tend to be Disney moms).

We also tend to have a lot of local festivals. My town likes to think it's very quaint and cute. We just had one last weekend called "Hay Days" and the wine moms were out in force: REO Speedwagon tribute band on Satuday night, craft fair, farmer's market.
They also tend to be the type who jokingly talk about borderline abusing their kids. It's such performative nonsense.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 11:36am
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 11:24am
JennyB wrote:

They also tend to be the type who jokingly talk about borderline abusing their kids. It's such performative nonsense.
Yes! It's totally all about the performance.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble