Covering Album Covers

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 11:04am
It's like that cliche about art when people say "Oh, I could have painted THAT." "Yeah, but you didn't."
Similarly, people who get snippy by a skilled artist who can whip something off rather quickly and then expect to be properly compensated. You're not paying for the, say, ten minutes it took them to draw it; you're paying for the twenty-five years of training and experience to draw it in ten minutes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 11:10am
JennyB wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 11:04am
It's like that cliche about art when people say "Oh, I could have painted THAT." "Yeah, but you didn't."
Similarly, people who get snippy by a skilled artist who can whip something off rather quickly and then expect to be properly compensated. You're not paying for the, say, ten minutes it took them to draw it; you're paying for the twenty-five years of training and experience to draw it in ten minutes.
Shit, I wouldn't even think to do that. I would just be thankful that I could afford something by an accomplished artist. Plus, I am super impatient, so I would be thrilled.
Last edited by JennyB on 11 Dec 2018, 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

You guys would be dream clients.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hey Kory, are you familiar with Freezepop? Fun synthpop band from Boston. Anyway, I learned that the singer Liz Enthusiasm (Jussi Gamache) is also a graphic designer: https://www.jussigamache.com/

Opinions of her work?

(Also, Liz Enthusiasm is a fucking great pseudonym.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 3:49pm
Hey Kory, are you familiar with Freezepop? Fun synthpop band from Boston. Anyway, I learned that the singer Liz Enthusiasm (Jussi Gamache) is also a graphic designer: https://www.jussigamache.com/

Opinions of her work?

Never heard of the band, but the work looks good. The easiest and fastest way to judge a designer is with typography and she's definitely good at what she does. Overall, her design is clean, and I really like her portfolio site. Easy to navigate and doesn't swamp the user with too much info, but still displays pertinent details like UX process (Creative Managers love that shit).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Opinions of her work?

Never heard of the band, but the work looks good. The easiest and fastest way to judge a designer is with typography and she's definitely good at what she does. Overall, her design is clean, and I really like her portfolio site. Easy to navigate and doesn't swamp the user with too much info, but still displays pertinent details like UX process (Creative Managers love that shit).
My untrained eye likes the orderliness to it all, both her work and the site, but I was wondering if it seemed too slick to you. There can be a rather impersonal vibe to stuff that's so clean.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 1:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Opinions of her work?

My untrained eye likes the orderliness to it all, both her work and the site, but I was wondering if it seemed too slick to you. There can be a rather impersonal vibe to stuff that's so clean.
No, I try to be that kind of designer myself, so it appeals. Peter Saville is a big favorite of mine, for example. I think her Living Proof email project definitely has some warm, more organic touches though, so she definitely has the versatility to go both ways when it's called for. There's a little of that in her gig posters too.

I would guess based on her portfolio's quality that she gets a lot of work, but the reliance on designs for her own band makes me wonder. A few possibilities

!. She's somewhat new to design and doesn't have a lot of work yet
2. She's not quite as skilled an interviewer
3. She really does think that's her best work (and it is good, but you generally want more diversity of clients just to show you are able to work with a lot of different kinds of people to give them what they need).
4. The clients wanted changes that she didn't agree with (this is a common one for me)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Opinions of her work?

No, I try to be that kind of designer myself, so it appeals. Peter Saville is a big favorite of mine, for example. I think her Living Proof email project definitely has some warm, more organic touches though, so she definitely has the versatility to go both ways when it's called for. There's a little of that in her gig posters too.

I would guess based on her portfolio's quality that she gets a lot of work, but the reliance on designs for her own band makes me wonder. A few possibilities

3. She really does think that's her best work (and it is good, but you generally want more diversity of clients just to show you are able to work with a lot of different kinds of people to give them what they need).
4. The clients wanted changes that she didn't agree with (this is a common one for me)
Her linkedin page suggests she's been a designer for twenty years, so that seems out. I wonder if the band stuff is a combination of promo (even if unconscious) and seeking out clients that want a more "fun" approach. Your #4 rings true, tho. I've always hated having to submit editing samples because not everything I suggest gets accepted by the client, so I'm being judged (potentially) by stuff that ended up out of my hands.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 3:38pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Opinions of her work?

Her linkedin page suggests she's been a designer for twenty years, so that seems out. I wonder if the band stuff is a combination of promo (even if unconscious) and seeking out clients that want a more "fun" approach. Your #4 rings true, tho. I've always hated having to submit editing samples because not everything I suggest gets accepted by the client, so I'm being judged (potentially) by stuff that ended up out of my hands.
The suggested solution is usually to include in your portfolio what YOU would have wanted it to look like, but by the time I'm done with a project like that, I'm not really in any mood to work on it further.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 5:04pm
The suggested solution is usually to include in your portfolio what YOU would have wanted it to look like, but by the time I'm done with a project like that, I'm not really in any mood to work on it further.
I'd get all paranoid that it'd make me look like I'm difficult and think the client is an idiot if they don't agree with me 100%.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 5:12pm
Kory wrote:
I'd get all paranoid that it'd make me look like I'm difficult and think the client is an idiot if they don't agree with me 100%.
I think that's where having a really diplomatically-minded description next to the project could be helpful, if recruiters are even paying that much attention. I've been in an hiring position where the person's design did not match the live site after we Googled it, so that always becomes a fun interview question. If you're allowed to address it in an interview and can clearly explain why you think your solution is better (even if you gave the client what they ultimately wanted), it's usually a plus. Most Creative Directors will have been through the same thing so they're likely to be on your side if you have a good reason for it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 5:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think that's where having a really diplomatically-minded description next to the project could be helpful, if recruiters are even paying that much attention. I've been in an hiring position where the person's design did not match the live site after we Googled it, so that always becomes a fun interview question. If you're allowed to address it in an interview and can clearly explain why you think your solution is better (even if you gave the client what they ultimately wanted), it's usually a plus. Most Creative Directors will have been through the same thing so they're likely to be on your side if you have a good reason for it.
As I said, tho, that's me being paranoid (i.e., irrational). Any place you'd want to work would understand how these things go, and, as you say, it'd be a great opportunity in an interview where you can talk aesthetics and ideas and how the conversation went with the previous client.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 5:57pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
As I said, tho, that's me being paranoid (i.e., irrational). Any place you'd want to work would understand how these things go, and, as you say, it'd be a great opportunity in an interview where you can talk aesthetics and ideas and how the conversation went with the previous client.
When all the while you're thinking "that client was a dumb idiot."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Apologies for quoting Kevin Smith but: "This would be a great place to work if not for the fucking customers."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 6:25pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Apologies for quoting Kevin Smith but: "This would be a great place to work if not for the fucking customers."
When I was at the record store, I preferred the customers to my coworkers by a lot.