The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 11:20am
Great version. She belts it out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Mick is objectively not a very good singer, but god is Keith a bad lead singer. I hadn't heard this before, but this is so much better than the Let It Bleed version. Side note that Brian Jones' autoharp is actually audible in this version. It doesn't really add much, but it's interesting that his two contributions on the album are mixed so low that they are basically inaudible.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2021, 12:28pm
Mick is objectively not a very good singer, but god is Keith a bad lead singer.
Somewhere, Muppet has just burst into flame and his spirit vowed vengeance on the heretic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 12:35pm
matedog wrote:
Somewhere, Muppet has just burst into flame and his spirit vowed vengeance on the heretic.
I really like his harmonies, but I can't get into anything like the supposed classic "Happy."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2021, 12:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
I really like his harmonies, but I can't get into anything like the supposed classic "Happy."
Yeah, you're still going to be haunted until the sweet release of death. And then he's going to torment you in the afterlife.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 12:42pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah, you're still going to be haunted until the sweet release of death. And then he's going to torment you in the afterlife.
We haven't seen that guy in awhile. Did he get the boot or just get bored?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 May 2021, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 12:42pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
We haven't seen that guy in awhile. Did he get the boot or just get bored?
Checking people's classic rock loyalty scores for entry into the RnRHoF is serious work, man.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Somehow I really like Keith's songs. You can tell me his voice sucks, it's nasal-y, he mumbles....I'll agree but I still really like a lot of his songs - perhaps the unique-ness of his voice?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

gkbill wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:30pm
Hello,

Somehow I really like Keith's songs. You can tell me his voice sucks, it's nasal-y, he mumbles....I'll agree but I still really like a lot of his songs - perhaps the unique-ness of his voice?

Much prefer his singing to Jaggers. The guy can actually inhabit a song. Hate It When You Leave is a great performance.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Yeah, for me, Keith just puts out the Rock 'n' Roll attitude in the way he sings. For the most part, I think the RS's should have hung it up after Some Girls, the majority of their albums after that haven't done it for me.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Sparky wrote:
03 May 2021, 5:32pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Yeah, for me, Keith just puts out the Rock 'n' Roll attitude in the way he sings. For the most part, I think the RS's should have hung it up after Some Girls, the majority of their albums after that haven't done it for me.

Increasingly devolved into tuneless 12 bar blues tedium. Tattoo you is pretty good but most of those songs are old outtakes and reworked oldies. Waiting on a friend dates back to the Goat Heads Soup sessions if I'm not mistaken. I love Ron Wood in Faces but Mick Taylor is clearly the best guitarist they ever had.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:21pm
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Increasingly devolved into tuneless 12 bar blues tedium. Tattoo you is pretty good but most of those songs are old outtakes and reworked oldies. Waiting on a friend dates back to the Goat Heads Soup sessions if I'm not mistaken. I love Ron Wood in Faces but Mick Taylor is clearly the best guitarist they ever had.
Hello,

As I stated earlier I won't defend Keith as a singer - but in my opinion this is one of the best 3 songs on Some Girls (Respectable and Shattered being the others). I'm not sure if I'm not addressing your point which is more directed at songwriting (?) but ...hey, I like these songs.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

gkbill wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:18pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:21pm
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

As I stated earlier I won't defend Keith as a singer - but in my opinion this is one of the best 3 songs on Some Girls (Respectable and Shattered being the others). I'm not sure if I'm not addressing your point which is more directed at songwriting (?) but ...hey, I like these songs.
Nope I agree some girls is mostly a great album, as is tattoo you. I was simply agreeing with sparky that they’ve mostly been hit or miss since then. Honestly instead of being on a release cycle of mediocre album ever half decade, these legacy bands should just focus on coming out with a really good single once a year around Christmas or something. They already have a stellar back catalog, no need to chuck out LPS with tons of filler. It kind of also keeps the band vital in a way idk.