Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 11:01am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:22am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:21am

Umm you were how old in 1976? Go to your room and once you've tidied it up properly you can wear your R2-D2 t shirt.
Ha! She did get me a classic-design Star Wars shirt several years ago. I have no reservations about wearing that.
Well I hope you were one of the extras on the movie at the very least.
😎
I did my part by pouring a lot of my allowance into the franchise. *A lot of my allowance.*
As long as you're not jumping on the bandwagon or the Death Star for that matter. :mrgreen:
I confess I did not see Star Wars 100 times in 1977, but probably 3–5 times during its first run. I have a recollection of seeing Empire and Jedi on opening night, but I'm surer about Jedi.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 11:47am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:22am

Ha! She did get me a classic-design Star Wars shirt several years ago. I have no reservations about wearing that.
😎
I did my part by pouring a lot of my allowance into the franchise. *A lot of my allowance.*
As long as you're not jumping on the bandwagon or the Death Star for that matter. :mrgreen:
I confess I did not see Star Wars 100 times in 1977, but probably 3–5 times during its first run. I have a recollection of seeing Empire and Jedi on opening night, but I'm surer about Jedi.
I saw all three of those on opening. Thought it was great.
Then later when my kids were young we saw the first three movies and I felt a little deflated but the kids loved it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 12:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

😎
Then later when my kids were young we saw the first three movies and I felt a little deflated but the kids loved it.
You mean the prequels? I remember going with the Boss' cousin's boy to Phantom Menace. I was meh, but he was over the moon. So much of it is a stage of life thing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 1:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You mean the prequels? I remember going with the Boss' cousin's boy to Phantom Menace. I was meh, but he was over the moon. So much of it is a stage of life thing.
Yes are the prequels not the first three? The ones from 1977 onwards being 4-5-6 in reality.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 2:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes are the prequels not the first three? The ones from 1977 onwards being 4-5-6 in reality.
Depends on how you categorize them—order of the narrative or order of release. Fucking Lucas.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 2:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Depends on how you categorize them—order of the narrative or order of release. Fucking Lucas.
Well I like to start at the beginning and finish at the end.

Confused the fuck out of me when my kids were explaining they had the podracing in the first movie.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 2:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Confused the fuck out of me when my kids were explaining they had the podracing in the first movie.
I recall someone suggesting that a viewing order of 4,5,1,2,3,6 is better … if you feel obliged to watch 1, 2, and 3. It's still a helluva drag in the middle, but it's arguably a better way of making Anakin's story more compelling.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 2:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I recall someone suggesting that a viewing order of 4,5,1,2,3,6 is better … if you feel obliged to watch 1, 2, and 3. It's still a helluva drag in the middle, but it's arguably a better way of making Anakin's story more compelling.
Yeah, I think that was called machete order or something, and they even recommended skipping 1 entirely
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 2:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't feel this is really possible. I thought McGregor was bad too but when you're acting mostly with CGI and a horrible actor with shitty dialog I dont see how you get a better outcome.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Let's get back on track. Here is one of my favs and fav video. I've played this song well over 100 times while gigging.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

coffeepotman wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 4:04pm
Let's get back on track. Here is one of my favs and fav video. I've played this song well over 100 times while gigging.
Cool video, I hadn't seen that before.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 4:04pm
I really like this B-side to Jumping Jack Flash. However it owes a debt to The Beatles "Rain".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

It's a fantastic song, almost like a bridge between Satanic Majesties and the more blues rock of Beggars or JJF....and the video is amazing. It's also a fun song to play.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Inspired by Matey's hard work on digging into the less than popular areas of the Beach Boys discography, I'm going to look at the less than popular areas of the Rolling Stones discography.

The worst of the Stones is nowhere near the worst of the Beach Boys, but they did hit a point where they started being less than brilliant.

First up, Undercover.

1. Undercover (Of the Night) - I like this song musically. Urgent drumming from Charlie, some funky bass from Bill. Keith's riff is pretty much Keith-by-numbers, but it works. Ronnie provides some nice playing on top of that. Mick's lyric is pretty lurid, but his delivery works. This is a good opoener. It's got a pulse. 8/10
2. She Was Hot - This sounds like a song they've done before, but better. It's not terrible. There is a grittiness to it, but it doesn't chart any new territory. 6/10
3. Tie You Up (The Pain of Love) - This is like some glitzed up 80's version of the blues. The tempo drags a bit too much. Jagger's vocal is overwrought. 4/10
4. I Wanna Hold You - Here we get to Keith's vocal spotlight. Again, it's Keith-by-numbers: a riff, a ragged vocal, a hard luck story. That said, it's got some power behind it. It's instrumentally quite basic, but Charlie's drumming is tight. 5/10
5. Feel On Baby - This track has an interesting dub quality to it. I kind of like the slow groove, that feels like it's being pulled through a taffy stretching machine. This is one that gets better the more you listen to it. It's nothing deep and it feels like they didn't put a ton of effort into it, but hey, you don't always have to put a ton of effort into everything. 6/10
6. Too Much Blood - I love this song. It's over the top. Charlie plays a cool, disco shuffle. The horns are just right. Jagger's lyric is again lurid, but so lurid you can't help but laugh. The guitars alternate between tight and edgy and chiming with a very 80's sound. The spoken word sections are goofy and fun (yes, I know they're violent - but again, so over the top, what else can you do). 7/10
7. Pretty Beat Up - This is an okay one, though a song that gets buy on groove more than substance. 4/10
8. Too Tough - This is a tough little rocker. I don't hate when they keep it simple, but like many tracks on this album, it's nothing new. 5/10
9. All The Way Down - I guess this song rocks, but it feels a bit too tepid. This isn't Keith-by-numbers, it's Stones-by-numbers. The bridge is kind of interesting where they slow it down with an interesting descending chord pattern. 4/10
10. It Must Be Hell - Keith's riff feels like it's lifted straight from Street Fighting Man. 4/10

This isn't a bad record, but it's also not that interesting. You can hear the two sides of the band: Mick's embrace of a more modern sound against Keith's meat and potatoes rock and roll. In my opinion, Mick's sound is more interesting on this album and I can dig his desire to move forward.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 1:40pm
Inspired by Matey's hard work on digging into the less than popular areas of the Beach Boys discography, I'm going to look at the less than popular areas of the Rolling Stones discography.

The worst of the Stones is nowhere near the worst of the Beach Boys, but they did hit a point where they started being less than brilliant.

First up, Undercover.

1. Undercover (Of the Night) - I like this song musically. Urgent drumming from Charlie, some funky bass from Bill. Keith's riff is pretty much Keith-by-numbers, but it works. Ronnie provides some nice playing on top of that. Mick's lyric is pretty lurid, but his delivery works. This is a good opoener. It's got a pulse. 8/10
2. She Was Hot - This sounds like a song they've done before, but better. It's not terrible. There is a grittiness to it, but it doesn't chart any new territory. 6/10
3. Tie You Up (The Pain of Love) - This is like some glitzed up 80's version of the blues. The tempo drags a bit too much. Jagger's vocal is overwrought. 4/10
4. I Wanna Hold You - Here we get to Keith's vocal spotlight. Again, it's Keith-by-numbers: a riff, a ragged vocal, a hard luck story. That said, it's got some power behind it. It's instrumentally quite basic, but Charlie's drumming is tight. 5/10
5. Feel On Baby - This track has an interesting dub quality to it. I kind of like the slow groove, that feels like it's being pulled through a taffy stretching machine. This is one that gets better the more you listen to it. It's nothing deep and it feels like they didn't put a ton of effort into it, but hey, you don't always have to put a ton of effort into everything. 6/10
6. Too Much Blood - I love this song. It's over the top. Charlie plays a cool, disco shuffle. The horns are just right. Jagger's lyric is again lurid, but so lurid you can't help but laugh. The guitars alternate between tight and edgy and chiming with a very 80's sound. The spoken word sections are goofy and fun (yes, I know they're violent - but again, so over the top, what else can you do). 7/10
7. Pretty Beat Up - This is an okay one, though a song that gets buy on groove more than substance. 4/10
8. Too Tough - This is a tough little rocker. I don't hate when they keep it simple, but like many tracks on this album, it's nothing new. 5/10
9. All The Way Down - I guess this song rocks, but it feels a bit too tepid. This isn't Keith-by-numbers, it's Stones-by-numbers. The bridge is kind of interesting where they slow it down with an interesting descending chord pattern. 4/10
10. It Must Be Hell - Keith's riff feels like it's lifted straight from Street Fighting Man. 4/10

This isn't a bad record, but it's also not that interesting. You can hear the two sides of the band: Mick's embrace of a more modern sound against Keith's meat and potatoes rock and roll. In my opinion, Mick's sound is more interesting on this album and I can dig his desire to move forward.
You know, their 80s output is a bit of a blind spot for me (beyond Tattoo You). This could be my next video review endeavor.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.