revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 9:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 4:14pm
Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 3:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 3:38pm
Yikes. So I'm guessing Rolling Stone only gave it 4/5 stars?
Yeah, it was pretty well reviewed initially I think, but definitely the rare Bob Dylan album where the critical assessment gets revised downward over time. In this case, quite a bit downward.
I'm curious whether that's part of a revisionist pattern—of significant artists from the 60s whose 80s releases were initially praised but have subsequently been considered bad trend chasing. Because my rough impression is that established artists really looked foolish in the 80s while seeking to be contemporary.
When I do my MTV lecture, I mention the pressure of video on older musicians to look younger. To illustrate it, I show photos of The Who and Yes in the early 80s, with the perfect haircuts and trim suits.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by matedog »

Did a deep dive into Tattoo You and this one is a banger. What I find particularly interesting is Charlie Watts' performance. It is so ramshackle throughout, sounding like he's just about to fall apart. It is such a hard style to emulate. For a generally tight jazz drummer, his rock drumming is so weird and this particular song is so shambolic and I love it.

This video, however, is pretty awful.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I'm thinking how AI could make Micks voice back to 1972 and they they could finish up those outtakes and demos from that time period.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 12:20pm

Did a deep dive into Tattoo You and this one is a banger. What I find particularly interesting is Charlie Watts' performance. It is so ramshackle throughout, sounding like he's just about to fall apart. It is such a hard style to emulate. For a generally tight jazz drummer, his rock drumming is so weird and this particular song is so shambolic and I love it.

This video, however, is pretty awful.
Top track good choice Matey.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This is another great one from Tattoo You.

It's originally from the Black and Blue sessions, so that's not actually Ronnie playing the solo he's "playing" in the video. Wayne Perkins, I believe.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I really liked Jagger's recent theme tune for the fantastic "Slow Horses" tv series.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:51pm
I really liked Jagger's recent theme tune for the fantastic "Slow Horses" tv series.

Just started this series. Yep that a very decent theme tune. Mick sounds great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:33pm

It's originally from the Black and Blue sessions, so that's not actually Ronnie playing the solo he's "playing" in the video. Wayne Perkins, I believe.
Another one that shines at the Mocambo show:

Though Mick's falsetto never does much for me. Seems to do it less on this version.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
09 May 2023, 5:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Though Mick's falsetto never does much for me. Seems to do it less on this version.
That Mocambo show in general is really freakin' awesome. When we were in Toronto in 2019 I went and visited it (having some time to kill). There was also a killer poutine stand across the street.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
09 May 2023, 5:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I think what's great is that by 1977... they were somewhat written off, but here is this tight set played in a small club in Toronto. For that moment (at least), they sounded relevant in a musical world that was rapidly changing. I think that's one thing I've always dug about them. When I saw them in 2021 they were still wonderfully ragged. It wasn't like seeing Pink Floyd in the end where they had 20 musicians on stage... it was still just a 5 piece (with the awesome Darryl Jones and Steve Jordan). Old warhorses like Satisfaction still had a pounding, punk vitality to them. I know they're rich beyond belief, but somehow they haven't quite lost touch with where they started out. There are bands and musicians where it's like hey, it's time to stop. I will legit be sad when the Stones finally cease to be.

Also, as much as I loved Charlie... Steve Jordan has breathed some fire back into their live act. He doesn't deviate from Charlie's playing, but he also brings in his own style and he's a powerful, propulsive drummer.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2023, 4:51pm

Yeah, this is solid. Mick has somewhat of a Dorian Gray quality to him. His voice hasn't changed/aged much and he still moves really well on stage. Also, he's one of the few old time rock stars who can manage to sound current.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This is from the show I saw. There are plenty (or too many) younger bands who don't bring this kind of energy.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I previously dug into Undercover in my attempt to work my way through the band's later history. Today I'm looking at Dirty Work. Dirty Work takes the Jagger/Richards divide from Undercover to its breaking point. Charlie Watts was addicted to booze and heroin. He's credited with playing drums, but Steve Jordan (who would ultimately replace him following his death) and Anton Fig (who once drummed for Kiss) apparently play on some of the tracks.

Side A
1) One Hit (to the Body) - This is probably the strongest track on the album. The playing is tight, though a bit too glossy. There is a guitar solo from a guesting Jimmy Page. Charlie's drumming is rock solid. This song is a bit deceptive because the band sounds more alive than they actually were. 3.5/5

2) Fight - This is a nice little rocker. It's simple, driven by some classic Keith riffs. 2.5/5

3) Harlem Shuffle - Here we get our first cover. It's listenable but also disposable. This is the Stones going through the motions. 2/5

4) Hold Back - I like this one, even if the drum sounds way too 80's. It's a tough track. Jagger snarls the vocal and the guitar playing is great, with Wood and Richards trading licks back and forth. 3/5

5) Here is the second cover, a Richards sung cover of a reggae classic. Minimal production, but it's subtly charming. 3/5

...and that's as far as I can get right now. Side B coming sometime in the future...

So far, it's been a better listen than I remembered. Clearly not their best, but not garbage bin awful, either.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Ouch, that's brutal, but hilarious. :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung