03 May 2021, 10:18pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:21pm
Sparky wrote:
03 May 2021, 5:32pm
gkbill wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:30pm
Hello,

Somehow I really like Keith's songs. You can tell me his voice sucks, it's nasal-y, he mumbles....I'll agree but I still really like a lot of his songs - perhaps the unique-ness of his voice?
Yeah, for me, Keith just puts out the Rock 'n' Roll attitude in the way he sings. For the most part, I think the RS's should have hung it up after Some Girls, the majority of their albums after that haven't done it for me.

Increasingly devolved into tuneless 12 bar blues tedium. Tattoo you is pretty good but most of those songs are old outtakes and reworked oldies. Waiting on a friend dates back to the Goat Heads Soup sessions if I'm not mistaken. I love Ron Wood in Faces but Mick Taylor is clearly the best guitarist they ever had.
Hello,

As I stated earlier I won't defend Keith as a singer - but in my opinion this is one of the best 3 songs on Some Girls (Respectable and Shattered being the others). I'm not sure if I'm not addressing your point which is more directed at songwriting (?) but ...hey, I like these songs.
Nope I agree some girls is mostly a great album, as is tattoo you. I was simply agreeing with sparky that they’ve mostly been hit or miss since then. Honestly instead of being on a release cycle of mediocre album ever half decade, these legacy bands should just focus on coming out with a really good single once a year around Christmas or something. They already have a stellar back catalog, no need to chuck out LPS with tons of filler. It kind of also keeps the band vital in a way idk.
I thought the Blues cover album was pretty inspired.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Guest1

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
04 May 2021, 3:13pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
04 May 2021, 2:59pm
gkbill wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:18pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:21pm
Sparky wrote:
03 May 2021, 5:32pm

Yeah, for me, Keith just puts out the Rock 'n' Roll attitude in the way he sings. For the most part, I think the RS's should have hung it up after Some Girls, the majority of their albums after that haven't done it for me.

Increasingly devolved into tuneless 12 bar blues tedium. Tattoo you is pretty good but most of those songs are old outtakes and reworked oldies. Waiting on a friend dates back to the Goat Heads Soup sessions if I'm not mistaken. I love Ron Wood in Faces but Mick Taylor is clearly the best guitarist they ever had.
Hello,

As I stated earlier I won't defend Keith as a singer - but in my opinion this is one of the best 3 songs on Some Girls (Respectable and Shattered being the others). I'm not sure if I'm not addressing your point which is more directed at songwriting (?) but ...hey, I like these songs.
Nope I agree some girls is mostly a great album, as is tattoo you. I was simply agreeing with sparky that they’ve mostly been hit or miss since then. Honestly instead of being on a release cycle of mediocre album ever half decade, these legacy bands should just focus on coming out with a really good single once a year around Christmas or something. They already have a stellar back catalog, no need to chuck out LPS with tons of filler. It kind of also keeps the band vital in a way idk.
I thought the Blues cover album was pretty inspired.
Yeah they definitely fulfill the role of elder blues men pretty well. That’s why I actually have no issue with them continuing as a legacy act. Their music doesn’t really become embarrassing for old men to play. Same reason I’m hoping for a kinks reunion.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
23 May 2021, 2:55pm
It's wild that that isn't the more accurate to Mick's age "teenage grandson"
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:08pm
wow, Tattoo You is 40 years old!

https://therollingstonesshop.com/produc ... LE,1LOVO,1
"Waiting on a Friend" is a flat-out shitty song and nothing will ever convince me otherwise. "Start Me Up" is okay, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:11pm
tepista wrote:

"Waiting on a Friend" is a flat-out shitty song and nothing will ever convince me otherwise. "Start Me Up" is okay, tho.
Little T&A is as rockin as anything, Hang Fire and Neighbors are fun, Black Limousine is good, and I like Tops a lot. Probably not even in my top 10 Stones LPs, but it was coming of age record for me, I was 11, and that tour was my first concert

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

Little T&A is as rockin as anything, Hang Fire and Neighbors are fun, Black Limousine is good, and I like Tops a lot. Probably not even in my top 10 Stones LPs, but it was coming of age record for me, I was 11, and that tour was my first concert
Tep's a youngster, I think I was in high school when that shit came out. I remember in 9th grade? some kid forget his name came in with pics from an outdoor show. I told him the Stones sucked.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:19pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

Tep's a youngster, I think I was in high school when that shit came out. I remember in 9th grade? some kid forget his name came in with pics from an outdoor show. I told him the Stones sucked.
I'm clearly in a dickish mood because I want the kid to have cried.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:28pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

He didn't it was 9th or 10th grade but I clearly caught him off guard. He thought he was all cool showing off the pics that were from like 100 yards away and I popped his balloon. His best retort was "no they don't ".

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I like Emotional Rescue better than Tattoo You

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:28pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He didn't it was 9th or 10th grade but I clearly caught him off guard. He thought he was all cool showing off the pics that were from like 100 yards away and I popped his balloon. His best retort was "no they don't ".
He grew up to be a county Republican operative or a prison guard.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:37pm
I like Emotional Rescue better than Tattoo You
Okay, fully acknowledging that I ain't a Stones fan by any stretch—like Bono ruins anything good about U2, Jagger does about the Stones—my rule is that if the Beatles have broken up, I don't care about what the Stones have done. A singles comp from the 60s is about all I need, and I probably would skip thru a lot of that.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:43pm
like Bono ruins anything good about U2, Jagger does about the Stones—
I can't even
Dr. Medulla wrote:
my rule is that if the Beatles have broken up, I don't care about what the Stones have done.
So Yoko ruined TWO bands

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 9:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
like Bono ruins anything good about U2, Jagger does about the Stones—
I can't even
Don't worry—I can do it for both of us.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
my rule is that if the Beatles have broken up, I don't care about what the Stones have done.
So Yoko ruined TWO bands
I blame Maureen Cox, not Yoko. Fucking drummer wives.