The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by coffeepotman »

Doom and Gloom, Ghost Town....all good songs. Their extras on the Tattoo deluxe are also great. They may not have made an original album in 20 something years but they have been polishing up old outtakes and they are great.

I'm really looking forward to this new album, I've got a good feeling about it.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

who the fuck is this a picture of? AI, you're fired
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
01 Oct 2023, 1:34pm

The Rolling Strokes?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 4:42pm
Old man still thinks rap is crap: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/keith-ri ... 9562536977
Probably gets his arse kissed too much to rethink his position, which is as predictable and as establishment as it gets. Like Winston Churchill not liking the Rolling Stones.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 9:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Old man still thinks rap is crap: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/keith-ri ... 9562536977
Probably gets his arse kissed too much to rethink his position, which is as predictable and as establishment as it gets. Like Winston Churchill not liking the Rolling Stones.
I’m always more surprised by musicians of his age who are open and enthused by newer developments. McCartney, for example, is wonderfully catholic in his tastes and endlessly curious.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Reminds me of Ben Shapiro trying to explain that rap is t music using the most wrong understandings of music theory.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:

L to R: Izzy stradlin, ???, Steven Tyler, mick Jagger, and Leif Garret.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Reminds me of Ben Shapiro trying to explain that rap is t music using the most wrong understandings of music theory.
Did it involve the eventual destruction of white people?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 10:42pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I’m always more surprised by musicians of his age who are open and enthused by newer developments. McCartney, for example, is wonderfully catholic in his tastes and endlessly curious.
Agree about McCartney. That is one of the most interesting things about him. Keith is an old crab. Mick, on the other hand, seems to be more like McCartney.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 10:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Agree about McCartney. That is one of the most interesting things about him. Keith is an old crab. Mick, on the other hand, seems to be more like McCartney.
For both Paul and Jagger, I've no doubt that their preferences lie with the blues and sun sessions that first galvanised them, but they have a professional interest in understanding modern music and take some pride in staying abreast of the sounds on the popcharts and the names of the superstars and indie darlings.

Does it lead to their making better music? Probably not, but it's definitely better for their brains and connection to culture.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 11:38am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For both Paul and Jagger, I've no doubt that their preferences lie with the blues and sun sessions that first galvanised them, but they have a professional interest in understanding modern music and take some pride in staying abreast of the sounds on the popcharts and the names of the superstars and indie darlings.

Does it lead to their making better music? Probably not, but it's definitely better for their brains and connection to culture.
I don’t think it’s quite so mercenary in McCartney’s case. I’d point to his collaboration with Youth as The Fireman, where it was initially hidden who was involved. Going back to his Beatles days, Paul’s very hungry to absorb what can be done with sounds.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:09pm
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I don’t think it’s quite so mercenary in McCartney’s case. I’d point to his collaboration with Youth as The Fireman, where it was initially hidden who was involved. Going back to his Beatles days, Paul’s very hungry to absorb what can be done with sounds.
Yeah, I'll rephrase it slightly with Paul, I think genuine love and interest is there. The professional part of him is competitive and soaks up what interests him.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:09pm
Silent Majority wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, I'll rephrase it slightly with Paul, I think genuine love and interest is there. The professional part of him is competitive and soaks up what interests him.
While I’ve never heard him speak negatively about hip hop, to his credit he’s never tried to rap, has he? I can’t help but think it’d end up being like Brian Wilson’s “Smart Girls.”