The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Heston »

Most underrated Stones songs are Yesterday's Papers and Connection, both from Between the Buttons.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 7:15pm
Most underrated Stones songs are Yesterday's Papers and Connection, both from Between the Buttons.
Connection may be underrated, but in my book the lyrics are so spot on I just love it. All the scrutiny and BS the band had to put up with.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Both really great songs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Sparky wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 7:46pm
Heston wrote:
Connection may be underrated, but in my book the lyrics are so spot on I just love it. All the scrutiny and BS the band had to put up with.
I love "Connection"
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dance Little Sister is another one I don't think gets a lot of airplay, but I can listen to it over and over again.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 8:19pm
Dance Little Sister is another one I don't think gets a lot of airplay, but I can listen to it over and over again.
Hello,

Agreed. This is a really good track.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
If You Can't Rock Me is another underrated track from that LP.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 12:51pm
Sparky wrote:
when Mick had his heart surgery I kept singing "I got one heart and it hurts like hell"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 1:41pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Sparky wrote:
when Mick had his heart surgery I kept singing "I got one heart and it hurts like hell"
😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 1:41pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Sparky wrote:
I had forgotten he had heart surgery. I guess we're lucky even 3 of them are still around. Woody just got the throat cancer all clear earlier this year.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

been listening to RS radio on Sirius for about 3 hours today during housework, and a couple hours driving the last couple days. light on 60s, heavy on 70s, which is cool, cuz Underground Garage is the opposite. I've heard Hand of Fate 4x times this week! (if you include last Saturday, when I played Black & Blue before the Charlie news)

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I was going to mention how many times I heard "Memory Motel" this past week, but then "Angie" came on right after

iso74
Corner Soul

Post by iso74 »

Heston wrote:
"Between the Buttons" is one of the most underrated albums full stop! Not least by Mick who thinks Loog Oldham ruined it by swamping it with too many over-dubs. I don't know, I think Loog Oldham winging it in the studio is one of the things that made them so influential, inspiring all those garage bands. I think the second album they did at Chess is too polished, not as good as their first.

Charlie gives it some welly on "Complicated" another great track on it, along with "She Smiled Sweetly". In the early Rock Encyclopedias you used to read that the Stones were a great "singles band" like they didn't come up with great albums like the Beatles. But probably every album up to and including Exile is brilliant, except for "Satanic Majesties". Having said that, after "Exile" I only know the singles.

When Charlie died I thought of his intro to "Get Off My Cloud". I got the single off an Uncle when I was I kid. I thought it was the greatest rock 'n' roll single i'd ever heard. I still do. Pissed me off when I got it on CD and cassette and the drums sounded slower, like batteries dying on a tape recorder. I "Undercover of the Night" was one of the great singles of the 80s. Great guitars, great lyrics, fantastic intro, you can SEE Mick doing the rooster strut.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Great, underrated middle period track. A Black & Blue leftover, with Wayne Perkins on lead guitar. Video is also fun. Keith looks positively robust following a few years off the heavy stuff.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

iso74 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 6:21pm
Heston wrote:
"Between the Buttons" is one of the most underrated albums full stop! Not least by Mick who thinks Loog Oldham ruined it by swamping it with too many over-dubs. I don't know, I think Loog Oldham winging it in the studio is one of the things that made them so influential, inspiring all those garage bands. I think the second album they did at Chess is too polished, not as good as their first.

Charlie gives it some welly on "Complicated" another great track on it, along with "She Smiled Sweetly". In the early Rock Encyclopedias you used to read that the Stones were a great "singles band" like they didn't come up with great albums like the Beatles. But probably every album up to and including Exile is brilliant, except for "Satanic Majesties". Having said that, after "Exile" I only know the singles.

When Charlie died I thought of his intro to "Get Off My Cloud". I got the single off an Uncle when I was I kid. I thought it was the greatest rock 'n' roll single i'd ever heard. I still do. Pissed me off when I got it on CD and cassette and the drums sounded slower, like batteries dying on a tape recorder. I "Undercover of the Night" was one of the great singles of the 80s. Great guitars, great lyrics, fantastic intro, you can SEE Mick doing the rooster strut.
Between the Buttons is fantastic from front to back and I think it stands shoulder to shoulder with what the Beatles were doing at the same time. I have heard Mick complain about the muddy sound, but it's not something that has ever bothered me. It was also a great moment for Brian Jones, who played: organ, electric guitar, accordion, recorder, vibraphone, piano, tambourine, harmonica, dulcimer, kazoo, tuba, trombone, and trumpet!!

I've always wondered how much Oldham was actually producing by that point, however. I've read that even though he's listed as producer on those early records, much of the production work was done by the band and the engineers.