iso74
Corner Soul

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by iso74 »

tepista wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 6:19pm
iso74 wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 6:05am
What do you guys think are the best books on the Stones? Is Bill Wyman's "Stone Alone" worth checking out? They say he goes into a lot of boring detail. but as it's based on his diaries of the time there must also be some fascinating details for fans as well.

I liked Sean Egan's books, even though I disagree with a lot of his opinions on songs. I thought Paul Trynka's book on Brian Jones was brilliant, better than his one on Bowie. Oldham's memoirs grated on me with his weird hipsterese. I haven't read Stanley Booth or any of Alan Clayton's bios, only his book on "Beggar's Banquet" which is disappointing and didn't really have that much about the album. Tons of others. Any recommendations?
I read Up & Down many many years ago, which is kinda the same as Johnny Green's Clash book. I liked it a lot.

Spanish Tony. I'll definitely check that out as i've just found an epub of it. I'd read a few other books on them, like one on "Let it Bleed" as well. But during lockdown i've become a bigger fan of them, so i'll probably have to revisit some of those books I didn't think much of before.

I asked on a Beatles Forum recently who they thought were the 2nd and 3rd greatest bands ever? Assuming they all thought the Beatles were the greatest, I was interested in how much tastes diverged after that. I was quite surprised that more seemed to pick The Who over the Stones. I said I thought that might be one of those occasional differences in transatlantic taste, and that I couldn't imagine many British fans thinking that. Is it still the case that the Clash I more revered in the States than here?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

iso74 wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 8:47pm
. I was quite surprised that more seemed to pick The Who over the Stones. I said I thought that might be one of those occasional differences in transatlantic taste, and that I couldn't imagine many British fans thinking that. Is it still the case that the Clash I more revered in the States than here?
Kinks beat the Who by "miles and miles" as far as I'm concerned
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

iso74
Corner Soul

Post by iso74 »

tepista wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 9:04pm
iso74 wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 8:47pm
. I was quite surprised that more seemed to pick The Who over the Stones. I said I thought that might be one of those occasional differences in transatlantic taste, and that I couldn't imagine many British fans thinking that. Is it still the case that the Clash I more revered in the States than here?
Kinks beat the Who by "miles and miles" as far as I'm concerned
A year ago I was only really into the great mid-60s singles of The Stones, The Who and The Kinks. With the later stuff I found the Stones' too rootsy and The Who too proggy. Now I recognise the brilliance of the Stones great 4 album run, enjoy "Tommy" and have started listening to "Who's Next". Maybe the next thing will be the Kinks concept albums. I don't think i've listened to any of them all the way through. In fact, i'm sure I haven't.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Village Green is probably my favourite 60s album.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 4:50am
Village Green is probably my favourite 60s album.
Incredible album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

answers in a bit
Attachments
stones1.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 8:43pm
answers in a bit
Kid Rock pisses in Bavaria. Roger and Rory must join Sex Machine Ltd.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 8:57pm
tepista wrote:
answers in a bit
Nailed it!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 8:57pm
tepista wrote:
answers in a bit
thats a 5 star answer

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Saw the Stones in Nashville last night. They were fantastic. Seriously. I went into it with my expectations tempered because they’re pretty darned old, but left mightily impressed. Biggest surprise was the intensity they brought. Even old war horses like Satisfaction were played with aggression and power. Steve Jordan was a big part of it: his playing was faithful to the original feel of the songs, but he wasn’t trying to be Charlie. He kept Charlie’s swing, but his playing felt harder, giving the songs a real stomping backbeat. Mick looked older and craggier, but displayed an amazing amount of energy. He still moves like Jagger, prancing and strutting around with ease and the voice remains unchanged. Ron and Keith were sloppy at times, but Ron and Keith have always been a bit sloppy and it didn’t feel like age, it felt like Ronnie and Keith sometimes fucking around being the irascible Ronnie and Keith. Overall, they appeared to really love being out there: lots of laughs and smiles, great interplay between band members. Also impressive that the sound is still built around the classic 5 piece: no touring guitarists and the like. Keith played a wonderfully messy (and punky) version of Connection, which was a nice surprise. Last night’s version of Midnight Rambler was lethal, as was Miss You. We went on a whim, I’m so glad we did.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 11:16am
Saw the Stones in Nashville last night. They were fantastic. Seriously. I went into it with my expectations tempered because they’re pretty darned old, but left mightily impressed. Biggest surprise was the intensity they brought. Even old war horses like Satisfaction were played with aggression and power. Steve Jordan was a big part of it: his playing was faithful to the original feel of the songs, but he wasn’t trying to be Charlie. He kept Charlie’s swing, but his playing felt harder, giving the songs a real stomping backbeat. Mick looked older and craggier, but displayed an amazing amount of energy. He still moves like Jagger, prancing and strutting around with ease and the voice remains unchanged. Ron and Keith were sloppy at times, but Ron and Keith have always been a bit sloppy and it didn’t feel like age, it felt like Ronnie and Keith sometimes fucking around being the irascible Ronnie and Keith. Overall, they appeared to really love being out there: lots of laughs and smiles, great interplay between band members. Also impressive that the sound is still built around the classic 5 piece: no touring guitarists and the like. Keith played a wonderfully messy (and punky) version of Connection, which was a nice surprise. Last night’s version of Midnight Rambler was lethal, as was Miss You. We went on a whim, I’m so glad we did.
Hello,

The Stones played Charlotte a few days back and I was debating whether to go or not. Tickets were okay for the Stones ($60 for the top of the stadium - binocular distance) but I decided not to go. Part of it was I didn't think the experience would be that good given the seats (not a good value for the money) plus they wouldn't play the Stones songs I would want to hear. After watching this opening night, I'm glad I missed out.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Awesome, glad it was a great show! I've seen the Stones twice in the last 4 or 5 or whatever years and they really bring it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 3:41pm
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 11:16am
Hello,

The Stones played Charlotte a few days back and I was debating whether to go or not. Tickets were okay for the Stones ($60 for the top of the stadium - binocular distance) but I decided not to go. Part of it was I didn't think the experience would be that good given the seats (not a good value for the money) plus they wouldn't play the Stones songs I would want to hear. After watching this opening night, I'm glad I missed out.
It's a little interesting because I had no intention of seeing them live again. I was driving home after a stressful day at work the week Charlie died and on a whim thought to myself, it would be cool to see them one last time. We decided we could do it if they had any Saturday dates and the only one that worked was Nashville and when we were able to get a steal on direct flights out of Milwaukee, we pulled the trigger. My partner is a casual fan and has not seen them before, so while I was a bit wary of what the performance could be, I didn't say anything beforehand as I didn't want to potentially ruin it for her. There were definite rough spots during the night, but the overall performance was better than I expected or could have hoped for.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I saw them in 2012 (give or take) and was surprised 9 years ago how much pep they still had in their step. It's remarkable how well Mick Jagger has held up.

Side note that it was probably the only time I'll see Tom Waits live.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 10:35am
I saw them in 2012 (give or take) and was surprised 9 years ago how much pep they still had in their step. It's remarkable how well Mick Jagger has held up.

Side note that it was probably the only time I'll see Tom Waits live.
I was talking to people who have seen them more recently than I have and more than a few remarked how Keith had taken it up a notch on these last couple of dates, maybe fired up by the loss of Charlie. My partner, who has never seen them before, said her impression of Keith was that he has a real life force around him, and just lights up everything around him. He did his 2 song solo set and then was off stage, maybe 45 seconds as the rest of the band started playing Miss You and you could feel when he rejoined them on stage. It wasn't just that you heard his playing, he really did seem to lift the rest of the band up.