Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 9:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 8:48am
With these t-shirts it's different it becomes defensive because people are getting annoyed and angry just because they feel the band is their special little piece of something. You don't hear the same people (fans if you like) complaining that the very same t-shirt that they took pride in is now being sold on mass in Walmart. But they are and it's all business that keeps food on the table for the remaining Ramones members and the bands families.
That’s legit and is in the realm of Fugazi refusing to sell anything but records and gig tickets. Commodification is commodification, regardless of intent. I can respect that even if I think it’s overly purist.
When I see a young kid/teenager I don't think oh look a bandwagon jumper. I think great they're wearing a Ramones t-shirt and not a another Pokemon t-shirt. With the kid chances are his mum and dad like the Ramones and with the teenager maybe they just bought the t-shirt because it looks cool and possibly affordable.
I wouldn’t think bandwagon jumper either. I’d think they’re a fan. And maybe it’s an opening to discuss mutual fandom (okay, not the Ramones; not really a fan, but you know what I mean). And then if I’d find out they know nothing about the band it’d be dispiriting because it’s just another shirt to them (it looks cool, it’s what the cool kids are wearing, etc etc). I wouldn’t scream at them or lecture them, but it would be a negative assessment on their character.
There are loads of tees on offer online etc with the tag "as worn by" _____ add your own artist here. Yet half the wearers don't know who the guy on the t-shirt is but hey it was worn by Joe Strummer so it must be cool right?
The Boss bought me one of those for Christmas. It’s a shirt that Debbie Harry wore that just says “Punk” on it. I can’t bring myself to wear it because it’s so obvious and I have no emotional connection to the design.
That's just the logo from punk magazine I think.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 1505 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

And just keep Flex happy and even up the score. Here's one for him.
Attachments
s-l400-1.jpg
s-l400-1.jpg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:06am
And just keep Flex happy and even up the score. Here's one for him.
Oh hell yeah
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
With these t-shirts it's different it becomes defensive because people are getting annoyed and angry just because they feel the band is their special little piece of something. You don't hear the same people (fans if you like) complaining that the very same t-shirt that they took pride in is now being sold on mass in Walmart. But they are and it's all business that keeps food on the table for the remaining Ramones members and the bands families.
That’s legit and is in the realm of Fugazi refusing to sell anything but records and gig tickets. Commodification is commodification, regardless of intent. I can respect that even if I think it’s overly purist.
When I see a young kid/teenager I don't think oh look a bandwagon jumper. I think great they're wearing a Ramones t-shirt and not a another Pokemon t-shirt. With the kid chances are his mum and dad like the Ramones and with the teenager maybe they just bought the t-shirt because it looks cool and possibly affordable.
I wouldn’t think bandwagon jumper either. I’d think they’re a fan. And maybe it’s an opening to discuss mutual fandom (okay, not the Ramones; not really a fan, but you know what I mean). And then if I’d find out they know nothing about the band it’d be dispiriting because it’s just another shirt to them (it looks cool, it’s what the cool kids are wearing, etc etc). I wouldn’t scream at them or lecture them, but it would be a negative assessment on their character.
There are loads of tees on offer online etc with the tag "as worn by" _____ add your own artist here. Yet half the wearers don't know who the guy on the t-shirt is but hey it was worn by Joe Strummer so it must be cool right?
The Boss bought me one of those for Christmas. It’s a shirt that Debbie Harry wore that just says “Punk” on it. I can’t bring myself to wear it because it’s so obvious and I have no emotional connection to the design.
Yup, that's exactly it. And in 1976 or '77, sure, that'd have some significance. Enh, maybe I'll wear it today to be less of a grouch.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:16am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yup, that's exactly it. And in 1976 or '77, sure, that'd have some significance. Enh, maybe I'll wear it today to be less of a grouch.
Umm you were how old in 1976? Go to your room and once you've tidied it up properly you can wear your R2-D2 t shirt.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Umm you were how old in 1976? Go to your room and once you've tidied it up properly you can wear your R2-D2 t shirt.
Ha! She did get me a classic-design Star Wars shirt several years ago. I have no reservations about wearing that.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 9:13am
Personally, I think we should all be required by law to exclusively wear shirts of bands we've never heard of before.
There goes your Pennywise shirt collection.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:24am
Flex wrote:
Personally, I think we should all be required by law to exclusively wear shirts of bands we've never heard of before.
Fortunately, there's no law against my gigantic collection of backwards baseball caps :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:25am
revbob wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:24am
Flex wrote:
Fortunately, there's no law against my gigantic collection of backwards baseball caps :cool:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
So is this as worn by or actually worn by?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:22am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ha! She did get me a classic-design Star Wars shirt several years ago. I have no reservations about wearing that.
Well I hope you were one of the extras on the movie at the very least.
😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
So is this as worn by or actually worn by?
As worn by. The shirt came with a card and a picture of Debbie Harry wearing it. The very concept of that, the marketing idea and the faux proof of authenticity is pretty skeevy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

😎
I did my part by pouring a lot of my allowance into the franchise. *A lot of my allowance.*

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 11:01am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 10:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

😎
I did my part by pouring a lot of my allowance into the franchise. *A lot of my allowance.*
As long as you're not jumping on the bandwagon or the Death Star for that matter. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

How to turn a thread about Rolling Stones songs into discussions about who has the right to wear what t shirt and Star Wars.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia