muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:56pm
tepista wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:55pm
If I ever met them I'd be like "hey, play "Out of Time", "Dandelion", "She Said Yeah", "Miss Amanda Jones", & "Have You Seen Your Mother".
duh, and "Citadel"
They have done "She's a Rainbow" a couple times, even released a nice albeit truncated live version on the new 'Honk' compilation.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:06pm
tepista wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:55pm
If I ever met them I'd be like "hey, play "Out of Time", "Dandelion", "She Said Yeah", "Miss Amanda Jones", & "Have You Seen Your Mother".
No shit, but as Mick says in that video right before "Rocks Off" and the fan-vote in general - "Half of them I've never heard of, but I'm sure we recorded them..." :lol:
haha!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 11:27am
JennyB wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 10:04am
Silent Majority wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 12:22pm
Flex wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 12:02pm
Interesting. Mick (Jagger) escaped Joe's fate, it seems: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... r-14246754
Say what you will about Jagger, I watched a bit of the new Netflix Stones piece and he's as good a frontman as ever he was.
Are there actually people who dispute this?

ETA: I totally read this incorrectly. I thought you said "as there ever was." Nevermind.
I dispute what you thought Maj had said. I like the Stones despite Jagger rather than because of him. It's like watching an aerobics class rather than a rock and roll show at times. If Keith Richards could have sang Jagger's parts whilst playing guitar I would have found them a more attractive proposition.
So I'm guessing you don't rate James Brown, Tina Turner or Prince either?

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:58pm
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:
Interesting. Mick (Jagger) escaped Joe's fate, it seems: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... r-14246754
Say what you will about Jagger, I watched a bit of the new Netflix Stones piece and he's as good a frontman as ever he was.

ETA: I totally read this incorrectly. I thought you said "as there ever was." Nevermind.
I dispute what you thought Maj had said. I like the Stones despite Jagger rather than because of him. It's like watching an aerobics class rather than a rock and roll show at times. If Keith Richards could have sang Jagger's parts whilst playing guitar I would have found them a more attractive proposition.
I've wondered if it's more that Jagger adapted his moves to play to folks in the nosebleed seats with the opera glasses once they started playing stadiums. Someone should remind him that now it's all broadcast on the big screen(s) & he doesn't need to do that any more, and sometimes less is more.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:

Tbh, not particularly. Prince had a few good songs but released swathes of utter tripe. Tina released all that hokey crap in the 80s like Steamy Windows and Simply the Best. JB was a great singer and dancer but his material never really interested me too much.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 2:18am
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Tbh, not particularly. Prince had a few good songs but released swathes of utter tripe. Tina released all that hokey crap in the 80s like Steamy Windows and Simply the Best. JB was a great singer and dancer but his material never really interested me too much.
You really are history's greatest monster.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:

I find Richards vocals to be repulsive. I recognize Jagger isn't a good vocalist, but there is a weird appeal for me. When Jagger comes in at the beginning of "Salt of the Earth" after Richards' part, it's like a breath of fresh air. Plus he has had a lot of great lyrics over the years.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 9:55am
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:

I find Richards vocals to be repulsive. I recognize Jagger isn't a good vocalist, but there is a weird appeal for me. When Jagger comes in at the beginning of "Salt of the Earth" after Richards' part, it's like a breath of fresh air. Plus he has had a lot of great lyrics over the years.
I actually like Jagger's singing, it's more his stagecraft that turns me off. I don't really like Keith's vocals either, I was trying to make the point that if Keith had Mick's singing voice and fronted the band, I would have liked them more.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 10:14am
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I actually like Jagger's singing, it's more his stagecraft that turns me off. I don't really like Keith's vocals either, I was trying to make the point that if Keith had Mick's singing voice and fronted the band, I would have liked them more.
I also like Mick's singing. Keith I can take in small doses - but he's clearly not a singer. Sure, Mick's stage persona is over the top - sometimes to a fault - but it's become his stock in trade. I've only seen them live once - back in 1994 - and I was honestly impressed with Mick. He's definitely a showman.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Tho I'm aware that without Jagger it wouldn't be the same band, I'm certain I'd like them more without his voice or his strutting bullshit. Grant him/them their historical significance, but with a few exceptions, their work does el zilcho for me. Most of the time, I'd prefer Cage's 4.33.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Gotcha. I'm fine with Mick as a front man and as others have stated, he has held up super well on a physical level as a front man.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Heston wrote:
Tina released all that hokey crap in the 80s
If I had any photoshop skills I'd put Tina Turner in a hockey uniform.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I was talking about as live performers, as they and Jagger are commonly considered the best ever. And Tina used to play with this little group called the Ike & Tina Tuner Review - you might want to check them out on YouTube or whatever. :rolleyes:
And it must be said mate: you really do have some extraordinary musical opinions. :?:

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 11:55am
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I was talking about as live performers, as they and Jagger are commonly considered the best ever. And Tina used to play with this little group called the Ike & Tina Tuner Review - you might want to check them out on YouTube or whatever. :rolleyes:
And it must be said mate: you really do have some extraordinary musical opinions. :?:
If I'm not keen on their music they won't really interest me as live performers, however many stage drops and high kicks they're doing. And I thought my musical opinions were quite normal til I joined this place! ;)

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I love Keith's vocals. More and more as he's aged, too.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/