Re: Awful Voices Thread

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 2:51pm
revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 2:49pm
Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:16pm
I heard two Bon Jovi songs on the radio today, Always and Wanted: Dead Or Alive. I have to say, Jon Bon Jovi's voice physically disgusts me.
Just seeing this now. So many things to say about this...
Don't tell me you're a fan?
No but I figured you would be. I mean with all those chart topping hits and slick production what's not to like? Its like if KISS had some* class.

*some, not a lot by any means but more than Kiss which is damn near anything.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 2:55pm
Heston wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 2:51pm
revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 2:49pm
Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 11:16pm
I heard two Bon Jovi songs on the radio today, Always and Wanted: Dead Or Alive. I have to say, Jon Bon Jovi's voice physically disgusts me.
Just seeing this now. So many things to say about this...
Don't tell me you're a fan?
No but I figured you would be. I mean with all those chart topping hits and slick production what's not to like? Its like if KISS had some* class.

*some, not a lot by any means but more than Kiss which is damn near anything.
No you have it massively wrong. KISS tried to become Bon Jovi in the 80s, the period I have no time for. KISS were anything but slick in the 70s.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 1:20pm
That's just mean. Mick's voice has never wrecked a song, which I think should be the basic criteria for inclusion.

My early entries are Rod Stewart and Axl Rose. I could like a decent chunk of GnR songs if his squawk were erased in the mix.

I don't like Jagger's voice, but I wouldn't call it awful either (he doesn't kill Stones songs for me, but he doesn't help things along).
Hot Take: Early Rod Stewart is pretty fucking brilliant. Every Picture Tells a Story and Never a Dull Moment are fantastic records. I prefer Small Faces but Faces are pretty damn good too.
2021 Rod Stewart looks like a used up cougar who got a sex change into a man.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 8:36pm
Can we all agree Marriott had one of the greatest - yet most unappreciated voices in rock? I'll take it to my grave that Plant stole a ton from Steve Marriott. Plant took what he learned and did great things - but Marriott was a true original.
Absolutely. I'm not a big fan of his post Faces output though. I feel like Humble Pie fall a bit too far into Boogie Rock Dirge Territory for my liking.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Steve Marriott and Steve Ellis for me from that period.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 12:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 1:20pm
That's just mean. Mick's voice has never wrecked a song, which I think should be the basic criteria for inclusion.

My early entries are Rod Stewart and Axl Rose. I could like a decent chunk of GnR songs if his squawk were erased in the mix.

I don't like Jagger's voice, but I wouldn't call it awful either (he doesn't kill Stones songs for me, but he doesn't help things along).
Hot Take: Early Rod Stewart is pretty fucking brilliant. Every Picture Tells a Story and Never a Dull Moment are fantastic records. I prefer Small Faces but Faces are pretty damn good too.
2021 Rod Stewart looks like a used up cougar who got a sex change into a man.
If we're all entitled to a share of Rod Stewart music, you may have all of mine on the condition you do not listen to it within earshot of me.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I think Rod Stewart is the weak link on Truth.