WestwayKid wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:39am
WestwayKid wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 7:21am
Morrissey to Marr: Stop talking about me! I mean, like, omigod!
https://www.nme.com/news/music/johnny-m ... ws-3146727
Marr's Twitter response was great.
It's amusing for Morrissey to insinuate that Marr is a desperate publicity hound, glomming onto his Mozness to get attention. Which former member of the Smiths has achieved the reputation of a drama queen? Which one was adept at click-bait statements before the term was coined?
I think he's pissed that after decades of lying low, Marr is now front and center and making some really solid music. In doing so, he's pulling the spotlight away from Morrissey and I think that bothers Morrissey quite a bit.
Umm hasn't Johnny always made solid music?

Marr will never be as big as Morrissey and that's just a fact. Why Morrissey cares is beyond me other than he loves to fuel this shit for his own ends.
The thing is, I don't get the impression Matt especially cares about the fame end of things. He's generally been content playing in other people's bands, pitching in on albums. It's not hard to speculate that as more of the public has turned against Morrissey, he's manufacturing a dumb complaint so that he gets some of the attention back, especially setting himself up as the victim, whom Marr is leaching off of.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 12:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:48am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:36am

Marr's Twitter response was great.
It's amusing for Morrissey to insinuate that Marr is a desperate publicity hound, glomming onto his Mozness to get attention. Which former member of the Smiths has achieved the reputation of a drama queen? Which one was adept at click-bait statements before the term was coined?
I think he's pissed that after decades of lying low, Marr is now front and center and making some really solid music. In doing so, he's pulling the spotlight away from Morrissey and I think that bothers Morrissey quite a bit.

Marr will never be as big as Morrissey and that's just a fact. Why Morrissey cares is beyond me other than he loves to fuel this shit for his own ends.
The thing is, I don't get the impression Matt especially cares about the fame end of things. He's generally been content playing in other people's bands, pitching in on albums. It's not hard to speculate that as more of the public has turned against Morrissey, he's manufacturing a dumb complaint so that he gets some of the attention back, especially setting himself up as the victim, whom Marr is leaching off of.
Matt sends his love. X
Attachments
17347846-0-Bros_star_Matt_Goss_has_been_BANNED_from_dating_app_Tinder_after-a-2_1565940709334.jpg
17347846-0-Bros_star_Matt_Goss_has_been_BANNED_from_dating_app_Tinder_after-a-2_1565940709334.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Matt sends his love. X
Consarned typos! R is right beside T and spellcheck doesn't catch the error! :angry:

(You could have at least chosen Matt Johnson, so there's still a Marr connection. :naughty: )
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 12:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Matt sends his love. X
Consarned typos! R is right beside T and spellcheck doesn't catch the error! :angry:

(You could have at least chosen Matt Johnson, so there's still a Marr connection. :naughty: )
You don't get off that easy, Mr. Teacher. :naughty: :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 12:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Matt sends his love. X

[Look inside my Big Book of Troublemakers, get out my pen] Oh, you're already in there.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 12:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 12:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Matt sends his love. X

[Look inside my Big Book of Troublemakers, get out my pen] Oh, you're already in there.
:approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 5:24pm
Torn between B and D. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go with B because he doesn't deny it.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Morrissey-Vauxhall_and_I.jpg
Morrissey-Vauxhall_and_I.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Despite the fact that Morrissey is a complete ass, this is still a fine recording. Not a bum track on the whole disc. Rockabilly hooks, glam guitar licks, gentle ballads.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've done this before, but some time to kill tonight, so ranking Morrissey's solo releases:

1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Your Arsenal
4) Ringleader of the Tormentors
5) Years of Refusal
6) World Peace Is None of Your Business
7) You are the Quarry
8) I Am Not a Dog on a Chain
9) Southpaw Grammar
10) California Son
11) Low In High School
12) Maladjusted
13) Kill Uncle

I did not rank Bona Drag because it's not a true album, but if I were to slot it into the ranking I'd place it between Your Arsenal and Ringleader.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 10:57pm
I've done this before, but some time to kill tonight, so ranking Morrissey's solo releases:

1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Your Arsenal
5) Years of Refusal
7) You are the Quarry
9) Southpaw Grammar
10) California Son
11) Low In High School
12) Maladjusted
13) Kill Uncle

I did not rank Bona Drag because it's not a true album, but if I were to slot it into the ranking I'd place it between Your Arsenal and Ringleader.
Your Arsenal remains my fave Moz album ever, and I saw him 5 times on that tour. His band at the time was the best.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 11:54pm
WestwayKid wrote:

1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Your Arsenal
5) Years of Refusal
7) You are the Quarry
9) Southpaw Grammar
10) California Son
11) Low In High School
12) Maladjusted
13) Kill Uncle

Your Arsenal remains my fave Moz album ever, and I saw him 5 times on that tour. His band at the time was the best.
I was just thinking the same thing - that band: Whyte, Boorer, Day, Cobrin was FANTASTIC! I was lucky to see him once on that tour and it was an incredible show.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:

1) Vauxhall and I
2) Viva Hate
3) Your Arsenal
5) Years of Refusal
7) You are the Quarry
9) Southpaw Grammar
10) California Son
11) Low In High School
12) Maladjusted
13) Kill Uncle

It's hard to argue with that top two (and Now My Heart is Full might be my favourite ever Morrissey solo song) but the rest all have spells at #3 for me
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've heard he's writing with Alain Whyte again, which is a good thing. This might be blasphemous, but I think Alain might be the best song writing partner he's worked with, though yeah, it will always be hard to dislodge Johnny from the top, but his work with Alain has always been very, very good. I'm not sure if any of that work will show up on Bonfire of Teenagers, but hoping to hear something in the future.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Much as I would have loved a 5th real Smiths album in late 80s, splitting up when they did means there are no clunkers in the 60 or so songs Morrissey and Marr wrote together so it's impossible for Marr not to be the top Morrissey collaborator IMO... then probably Stephen Street

Between Boz and Alain, not sure I can pick but maybe Boz's peaks are slightly higher based on a quick top ten of each

Alain
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?
First of the Gang to Die
Tomorrow
Glamorous Glue
Hold on to Your Friends
Pashernate Love
Sunny
A Swallow on My Neck
Because of my Poor Education
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?

Boz
Now My Heart is Full
Reader Meet Author
Speedway
Jack the Ripper
Honey You Know Where to Find Me
Maladjusted
I Wish You Lonely
Blue Dreamers Eyes
Spring Heeled Jim
Noise is the Best Revenge
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps