Unknown Immortal

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 May 2019, 7:43pm
Flex wrote:
10 May 2019, 5:59pm
Absolutely fuck this grotesque nazi shithead:

Morrissey is indistinguishable from a neo-nazi at this point.
Okay here goes. In some ways I am glad he is wearing that badge becuase what that does is make a far greater statement than being the casual racist he has appeared to be in recent times. His support for Tommy Robinson is the final nail in the coffin for me. He crossed a very thin line with this stuff in the past but now he has nailed his colours fully to the mast. Morrissey you are dead to me.
He looks ancient in that photo, too! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Forgetting Moz for the moment - I'm seeing Johnny Marr tonight - which for this lifelong Smiths fan is extremely exciting!! I haven't been this giddy about a show in a long time. I've really like his recent solo albums (The Messenger, Playland, Call the Comet) and honestly - yeah, I want to hear a handful of Smiths songs - but I'd be more than content to just hear him play his own stuff. It must really dig at Morrissey that he's become an irrelevant tool - while Johnny Marr is still cool as hell.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 May 2019, 2:57pm
Forgetting Moz for the moment - I'm seeing Johnny Marr tonight - which for this lifelong Smiths fan is extremely exciting!! I haven't been this giddy about a show in a long time. I've really like his recent solo albums (The Messenger, Playland, Call the Comet) and honestly - yeah, I want to hear a handful of Smiths songs - but I'd be more than content to just hear him play his own stuff. It must really dig at Morrissey that he's become an irrelevant tool - while Johnny Marr is still cool as hell.
D'ya think Morrissey believes he's irrelevant? He seems like the kind of guy who would take all the abuse as proof that he's way ahead of everyone else.

If I were Marr, I'd let any journalists know beforehand that he's not going to answer any questions related to Morrissey. Who needs to be dragged into crap by a musical partner 30+ years in the past?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2019, 3:57pm
WestwayKid wrote:
D'ya think Morrissey believes he's irrelevant? He seems like the kind of guy who would take all the abuse as proof that he's way ahead of everyone else.

If I were Marr, I'd let any journalists know beforehand that he's not going to answer any questions related to Morrissey. Who needs to be dragged into crap by a musical partner 30+ years in the past?
I'm pretty sure that's what he does. I've read several recent interviews where they try to pin him down about Morrissey's idiotic comments and he politely declines to comment.

In regards to Steven Patrick - it's hard to say. For the longest time - I've felt he's tried to stay relevant by being provocative - but he doesn't understand how badly it comes off. I think that can work when you're 20 something and running your mouth and it did work for Morrissey earlier in his career. I honestly don't know if Morrissey cares enough about things to truly be racist - but he very well might think it's cool to wear a right wing pin because that's what Morrissey does - he riles people up and by that he stays relevant. Please don't take this as a defense of Morrissey. I think he's become a massive idiot and a gigantic bore. He deserves all of the backlash he's getting right now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 May 2019, 4:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's what he does. I've read several recent interviews where they try to pin him down about Morrissey's idiotic comments and he politely declines to comment.

In regards to Steven Patrick - it's hard to say. For the longest time - I've felt he's tried to stay relevant by being provocative - but he doesn't understand how badly it comes off. I think that can work when you're 20 something and running your mouth and it did work for Morrissey earlier in his career. I honestly don't know if Morrissey cares enough about things to truly be racist - but he very well might think it's cool to wear a right wing pin because that's what Morrissey does - he riles people up and by that he stays relevant. Please don't take this as a defense of Morrissey. I think he's become a massive idiot and a gigantic bore. He deserves all of the backlash he's getting right now.
Incredibly sad if he treats any publicity as good publicity, not giving a whit over the consequences.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2019, 4:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:
14 May 2019, 4:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Incredibly sad if he treats any publicity as good publicity, not giving a whit over the consequences.
Incredibly pathetic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BTW, hope Marr kicks ass for you tonight. Such a cool and talented dude.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2019, 4:32pm
BTW, hope Marr kicks ass for you tonight. Such a cool and talented dude.
He definitely did!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I glanced at the morrissey-solo.com forum and it's pretty disgusting (yet not at all surprising) how so many fans are finding ways to rationalize his behavior. I truly think Morrissey fanatics are some of the most obnoxious in all of music. The blind loyalty is disturbing. I think some of them would probably kill for him if he asked them to. I consider myself a big fan of his music. It was very important to me for many years. Sure, his true motives could be argued - does he really believe this garbage or is he just doing it to be provocative or is he looking for publicity - but none of that matters to me. Racism is not okay. It's a line good people won't cross, but Morrissey obviously has no problem crossing it. Thing is - as long as his minions support his every word he'll keep (to borrow a phrase from Bernard Sumner) "getting away with it" which he's done for decades.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 May 2019, 8:48am
I glanced at the morrissey-solo.com forum and it's pretty disgusting (yet not at all surprising) how so many fans are finding ways to rationalize his behavior. I truly think Morrissey fanatics are some of the most obnoxious in all of music. The blind loyalty is disturbing. I think some of them would probably kill for him if he asked them to. I consider myself a big fan of his music. It was very important to me for many years. Sure, his true motives could be argued - does he really believe this garbage or is he just doing it to be provocative or is he looking for publicity - but none of that matters to me. Racism is not okay. It's a line good people won't cross, but Morrissey obviously has no problem crossing it. Thing is - as long as his minions support his every word he'll keep (to borrow a phrase from Bernard Sumner) "getting away with it" which he's done for decades.
I think (or maybe hope?) those wackjobs are just a vocal minority. I'd even suspect at those forums it's a few people with multiple accounts. I think most fans are either upset with him or unaware.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:17am
WestwayKid wrote:
I think (or maybe hope?) those wackjobs are just a vocal minority. I'd even suspect at those forums it's a few people with multiple accounts. I think most fans are either upset with him or unaware.
Morrissey has always flirted with the idea that racism is a form of provocation. It's never been any different for him even in the days of The Smiths. He knew what he was doing when he said ''reggae is vile'' he could of just as easily said ''I'm not a fan of reggae''. His words are carefuly chosen he knows it will get peoples backs up and his flirtations over the years have now backfired going a step too far by promoting a racist political party.

Even with the latter years of his solo career he has done little things like having his records released on the ''Attack'' and ''Island'' label. Two labels responsible for heavily promoting reggae in the U.K. Everything is calculated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:37am
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:17am
WestwayKid wrote:
Morrissey has always flirted with the idea that racism is a form of provocation. It's never been any different for him even in the days of The Smiths. He knew what he was doing when he said ''reggae is vile'' he could of just as easily said ''I'm not a fan of reggae''. His words are carefuly chosen he knows it will get peoples backs up and his flirtations over the years have now backfired going a step too far by promoting a racist political party.

Even with the latter years of his solo career he has done little things like having his records released on the ''Attack'' and ''Island'' label. Two labels responsible for heavily promoting reggae in the U.K. Everything is calculated.
Agreed. Also agree it has backfired because he's taken it a step too far this time.

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I think he does, and that's exactly why he pulls this fascist-flirting bullshit. I love the Smiths and much of Moz's solo career, and I thoroughly enjoyed an amazing show he put on a couple years ago, but fuck him and his desperate attempts to cling to a shred of relevancy. His new music sucks, too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Not suggesting you're wrong here, but an alternate possibility is that he's not that clever or doesn't see the contradictions between his racism and his own interests. Or maybe that he's willing to ignore the former as long as the latter is satisfied.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 12:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Not suggesting you're wrong here, but an alternate possibility is that he's not that clever or doesn't see the contradictions between his racism and his own interests. Or maybe that he's willing to ignore the former as long as the latter is satisfied.
Nah he is well clever and calculated. Everything he's ever done has been incredibly thought out. From sleeve artwork of The Smiths to the album titles etc etc. He says exactly what he wants and he will already have his answer pre-planned. He has had to have control over everything even down to the correct type face / no moulded plastic labels / The list is endless he is a control freak. There is no way Morrissey is too stupid to know how this racist stance will affect his audience. It's as much a test for them as anyone else. Morrissey has created his own world and he lives in a vacuum. Last of the famous international agent provocateurs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia