The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 3:37pm
Morrissey sucks no doubt, but I have a hard time relinquishing my love for music that's meant the world to me for so long.
That's fair enough. Personal choice and all that. Lydon has a been a dick in recent times but I ain't stopping my love of the Pistols and PiL anyday soon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 4:13pm
Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 3:37pm
Morrissey sucks no doubt, but I have a hard time relinquishing my love for music that's meant the world to me for so long.
That's fair enough. Personal choice and all that. Lydon has a been a dick in recent times but I ain't stopping my love of the Pistols and PiL anyday soon.
Yup. I'm not going to judge anyone who is better capable of separating art from artist. We all do it and we're selective of how we apply those principles, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The cover is the superior version, right? Even without its automatic connection to FBDO—it's pretty much impossible to see Seurat's Sunday Afternoon without hearing the song now—it's just so a rich and romantic interpretation.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2021, 5:20pm

The cover is the superior version, right? Even without its automatic connection to FBDO—it's pretty much impossible to see Seurat's Sunday Afternoon without hearing the song now—it's just so a rich and romantic interpretation.
Probably the best Smiths cover... but I think in making it nearly twice as long as the original they lose that feeling that it's over before it's even begun which matches the lyric. Whether that's deliberate or I spent too long listening to The Smiths as a spotty teen (and less spotty adult) is up for debate.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
19 May 2021, 8:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Probably the best Smiths cover... but I think in making it nearly twice as long as the original they lose that feeling that it's over before it's even begun which matches the lyric. Whether that's deliberate or I spent too long listening to The Smiths as a spotty teen (and less spotty adult) is up for debate.
Interesting point about the length. I'd never thought about that.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2021, 8:55pm
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Can't say I'm a fan of this, I'm afraid. The cheesy Casio keyboard sound makes it sound kind of cheap and it's missing the mandolin which is a big part of the appeal of the original for me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Can't say I'm a fan of this, I'm afraid. The cheesy Casio keyboard sound makes it sound kind of cheap and it's missing the mandolin which is a big part of the appeal of the original for me.
I would have bet Olaf's favourite green Oktoberfest hat that the oboe would sell it for you. Her airy harmonies also add something to the version, too.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:28pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I would have bet Olaf's favourite green Oktoberfest hat that the oboe would sell it for you. Her airy harmonies also add something to the version, too.
You're right in thinking that I'm a big oboe fan (highly underrated instrument), but there's something too grand about this version. It's too full and lush for what is a plain feeling originally presented plainly. I guess I sort of agree with Oliver in that sense. I suspect that if they had chucked the keyboards I would like it a lot more.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 1:28pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:

You're right in thinking that I'm a big oboe fan (highly underrated instrument), but there's something too grand about this version. It's too full and lush for what is a plain feeling originally presented plainly. I guess I sort of agree with Oliver in that sense. I suspect that if they had chucked the keyboards I would like it a lot more.
It's the grandness that appeals to me, turning Morrissey's self-pity into something quite romantic.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

As previously mentioned, there is an urgency to the original that (at least in my opinion) sells Morrissey's maudlin self pity. You feel his pleading and the cover doesn't feature Johnny Marr.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I thought I'd rope in at least one of you on this. Maybe this is the album for y'all:

In case you don't know it, it's pretty rote hardcore interpretations, except for a weirdly faithful cover of "Back To the Old House."

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 3:24pm
I thought I'd rope in at least one of you on this. Maybe this is the album for y'all:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... G9B7VL.jpg

In case you don't know it, it's pretty rote hardcore interpretations, except for a weirdly faithful cover of "Back To the Old House."
I really enjoy this album. Lotta bands on it that I really like. Rote, but all at least competently executed and also a bit of an amusing gag.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'll check this out, sounds amusing. I typically hate tribute albums, but it seems like a lot of hardcore dudes are into the Smiths for some reason. Probably the emo angle.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 May 2021, 3:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... G9B7VL.jpg

I really enjoy this album. Lotta bands on it that I really like. Rote, but all at least competently executed and also a bit of an amusing gag.
It's competent, certainly, but the predictability kinda ruins things for me. It could be the same band for all but the one song.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2021, 3:50pm
It's competent, certainly, but the predictability kinda ruins things for me. It could be the same band for all but the one song.
I dunno, I think a bunch of the bands bring their own distinctive style. But I'm pretty big fan of a bunch of those bands to begin with so I might be more sensitive to what outsiders-looking-in might view as fairly minor differences in style.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!