The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 6:18pm
Low in High School is better than Maladjusted. As is Years of Refusal.
Southpaw Grammar was the last album I liked. Which I liked a lot. Then, the cliff.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
Southpaw Grammar was the last album I liked. Which I liked a lot. Then, the cliff.
I liked Refusal because it was pretty rockin'. I don't think we'll see something with that kind of muscle again. Quarry was so-so, better than Maladjusted, but the lyrics aren't that great. Tormentors took a while to warm up to, but I like it more now. World Peace was forgettable other than the title track and The Bullfighter Dies. I've been trying to find stuff from Alain Whyte's band Red Lightning to see how instrumental he was in the quality of Moz songs, but it's rare stuff.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 7:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I liked Refusal because it was pretty rockin'. I don't think we'll see something with that kind of muscle again. Quarry was so-so, better than Maladjusted, but the lyrics aren't that great. Tormentors took a while to warm up to, but I like it more now. World Peace was forgettable other than the title track and The Bullfighter Dies. I've been trying to find stuff from Alain Whyte's band Red Lightning to see how instrumental he was in the quality of Moz songs, but it's rare stuff.
I made half-hearted stabs at all the post-Maladjusted albums on a few different occasions. I admit I went in not expecting much, but nothing suggested he successfully made the transition to the 21st century. Another way that he's like Lydon, I suppose.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
I think Boy George and I are the only ones who love Maladjusted.
My problem with World Peace is that the 6 bonus tracks on the deluxe version are better than the 6 weakest tracks on the album so it's such a missed opportunity.

Have you heard 'Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams' - Alain Whytes band from 2005ish? They're hard to find anything on because when you search you either end up with Sylvia Plath or Tears for Fears.

Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 7:47pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I made half-hearted stabs at all the post-Maladjusted albums on a few different occasions. I admit I went in not expecting much, but nothing suggested he successfully made the transition to the 21st century. Another way that he's like Lydon, I suppose.
Didn't like the most recent PiL stuff?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 8:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 7:47pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Didn't like the most recent PiL stuff?
The musicians were strong (arguably the best band he's assembled), the music comme ci comme ca, but Lydon just doesn't have an effective voice anymore. I'm not sure a non-fan would be persuaded by any of it.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Tom Lennon and Joe Manganiella being involved makes me think this might be decent

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 2:59pm

Tom Lennon and Joe Manganiella being involved makes me think this might be decent
I'll give it a chance. Having the actual music is a big plus.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:

Lennon is a big Smiths/Morrissey fan.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 3:24pm
Lennon is a big Smiths/Morrissey fan.
Yep - and Lt. Dangle is one of my favourite TV characters ever.

Manganiella is a big fan too. He's been talking about this film and how he's been wanting to make it for years.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:

Weird to show the entire movie in the trailer. Didn't Airheads already cover this plot?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 4:55pm
oliver wrote:

Weird to show the entire movie in the trailer. Didn't Airheads already cover this plot?
The premise is pretty much Airheads. I watched that, tho, and I'd watch this.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 5:48pm
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch it. I will say it seems real damn earnest though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 5:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 5:48pm
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch it. I will say it seems real damn earnest though.
To be fair, the stereotypical Smiths fan is embarrassingly earnest, more Morrissey than Mike Joyce.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
It's supposedly an event that really took place but I'm not sure it's ever been verified. You'd think someone would have looked up the people involved by now if it wasn't apocryphal. Morrissey wrote about it in Autobiography so maybe they think the premise is already out there.