The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

...can I get one going?

Winter is settling in on my part of the world. Cold, gray, wet days and I find myself drawn closer to Sorrow's Native Son.

I know there are a few of you out there...so Shoplifter's of the World Unite!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A band that meant a lot to me when I was a mopey little bastard ("I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside" isn't that far off). A combination of growing older and introspective and Morrissey's more overt ugly flirtations with racism has tempered that a lot. When I listen to the Smiths now, it's largely for what the other three brought to the game. Not for nothing that my favourite Smiths song is "Oscillate Wildly."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I hear you. Morrissey is a "complicated" figure. Very hard to pin down and I honestly think (and not trying to make excuses for him) that he says things without thinking.

The Smiths were an important band for me growing up. I've continued to follow Morrissey, Marr, and company as I've grown older. I'm definitely no longer the mopey kid I was when I first picked up a copy of Strangeways...but I could also never amputate myself from them and their music...

...and I definitely have no desire to dwell on any of the major Morrissey forums (ugly, dark places)!?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm really liking what I've heard so far from the new album. I guess as an old fan - I'm always hoping he can catch the old magic and sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't - but I really think he needs to right now: too much bad press, too many cancelled shows and bad books. Time for Moz to do what Moz does best!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

There's only one Smiths song I know - "How Soon Is Now?" - and I only like it because of Marr's guitar figure. Everything else I've heard by Smiths/Moz I've pretty much actively disliked, and my distaste has only increased as Morrissey's true character has come out recently. I still can't fathom what people find so compelling in him/the Smiths.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I had a great dance to There Is a Light That Never Goes Out at my wedding.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm down. He's coming here a week from Wednesday and I still haven't' decided if I am going. We saw him on his last tour, and it was amazing. I'm just so...tired.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

I love The Smiths and Morrissey. In fact, I wish I could send Morrissey some money directly as I feel he has earned it due the number of times I've listened to his music.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:34am
I'm down. He's coming here a week from Wednesday and I still haven't' decided if I am going. We saw him on his last tour, and it was amazing. I'm just so...tired.
Take along a couple hamburgers to the show to eat. That'll up your energy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:11am
JennyB wrote:
Take along a couple hamburgers to the show to eat. That'll up your energy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
He's playing Chicago - which is about an hour from home - but the last time he played Chicago he cancelled THREE times. I kind of want to go, but that was such a bad experience: having to change plans that many times - find and cancel sitters and everything. I've seen him live enough times that I could probably skip this one and not feel too bad.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

School, as well as life in general, depressed me as a teenager so I figured I didn't need Morrissey adding to my woes, couldn't get past the voice. I had the same thing with Leonard Cohen but snapped out of that in the 90s when I realised that he actually had a great sense of humour.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The Smiths are pretty good. Never hears any Morrissey solo that inspired me to listen to more, tho. He's always an immediate channel flip when he pops up on satellite radio.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 2:20pm
School, as well as life in general, depressed me as a teenager so I figured I didn't need Morrissey adding to my woes, couldn't get past the voice. I had the same thing with Leonard Cohen but snapped out of that in the 90s when I realised that he actually had a great sense of humour.
The thing is, Morrissey actually has a pretty good sense of humor, too. I think he is unfairly painted as this doom and gloom guy - but when you really listen to his lyrics - all the way back to the Smiths - there is a lot of humor.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 2:12pm
JennyB wrote:
He's playing Chicago - which is about an hour from home - but the last time he played Chicago he cancelled THREE times. I kind of want to go, but that was such a bad experience: having to change plans that many times - find and cancel sitters and everything. I've seen him live enough times that I could probably skip this one and not feel too bad.
Yeah - I imagine that would be super frustrating.
Got a Rake? Sure!