revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 10:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 6:54pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 6:22pm
I know this thread exists but I initially dyslexicly saw it today as the
Al Jourgensen/ Ministry Thread.

Wishful thinking, but damn that would be so much better.
Less embarrassing racism, anyway.
I wasn't aware of any racism in relation to Al/Ministry
Exactly—whereas Morrissey's story has now been drenched in racism and affection for fascism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Billy is spot on as usual.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Has there been another musician who alienated so many old fans for reasons other than musical direction or criminal conduct? There's got to be something comparable, but my brain is freezing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:48pm
Has there been another musician who alienated so many old fans for reasons other than musical direction or criminal conduct? There's got to be something comparable, but my brain is freezing.
On political views I would say no.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The closest thing I can think of is when Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" comments sparked a backlash in the US, but that didn't really affect the Beatles' status much, especially because so many young people were questioning more conventional truths at the time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 6:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The closest thing I can think of is when Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" comments sparked a backlash in the US, but that didn't really affect the Beatles' status much, especially because so many young people were questioning more conventional truths at the time.
Lennon wasnt deliberately trying to alienate his audience. His comment was also tongue in cheek.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 6:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Lennon wasnt deliberately trying to alienate his audience. His comment was also tongue in cheek.
I'm not sure Morrissey is deliberately trying to alienate his audience either, tho maybe he is seeking to make himself a martyr by driving away as many fans as he can (who the hell knows?). And Lennon's comment was so damned innocuous. You could read it as a challenge to the church—c'mon, you're losing souls to a pop group, step up your game.

Thought of another one, tho it's slight. Didn't Donna Summer make comments about AIDS being a gay plague, which, apart from being heartless, is pretty dumb when your audience has a lot of gay men.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 10:49am
Interview was conducted by his nephew - which seems like an odd choice. Also - one would think maybe it would have been put on for damage control - but he further fans the flames by making a bunch of really awful comments.
Morrissey’s nephew in the “Suedehead” vid:
Morrissey Suedehead Video SER.jpg
Morrissey Suedehead Video SER.jpg (65.46 KiB) Viewed 4206 times

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 6:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not sure Morrissey is deliberately trying to alienate his audience either, tho maybe he is seeking to make himself a martyr by driving away as many fans as he can (who the hell knows?). And Lennon's comment was so damned innocuous. You could read it as a challenge to the church—c'mon, you're losing souls to a pop group, step up your game.

Thought of another one, tho it's slight. Didn't Donna Summer make comments about AIDS being a gay plague, which, apart from being heartless, is pretty dumb when your audience has a lot of gay men.
The alleged Donna Summer quote is a myth based on a lie. In '83 she became a born again Christian which was seen as an evil by the gay community. Who originally started the rumour is unknown but later on she did file a big lawsuit against a newspaper that was settled out of court.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 6:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 6:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The alleged Donna Summer quote is a myth based on a lie. In '83 she became a born again Christian which was seen as an evil by the gay community. Who originally started the rumour is unknown but later on she did file a big lawsuit against a newspaper that was settled out of court.
Ah, okay. Take that off the list.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sir Nicholas Cave has something to say: https://www.post-punk.com/nick-cave-con ... etCrgF5Uo8
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 1:47pm
Sir Nicholas Cave has something to say: https://www.post-punk.com/nick-cave-con ... etCrgF5Uo8
Nick is quality.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I read his piece earlier today. I agree with him entirely about songs losing individual ownership once released to the public. It's intellectually respectful and is a necessary counter to what copyright has done to art.

And I can appreciate what he's say about how we should separate Morrissey's (past) art from his political views, but it strikes me as a bit too abstract compartmentalization. If we make emotional and intellectual attachments to art (in this case, songs), can we easily make the division to keep the emotional connection when certain intellectual factors change? I think it asks a lot of an audience. If you can pull it off, more power to you. But I think it's rather tough in practice, especially when talking about an artist whose success has come from generating emotional connections.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 2:21pm
I read his piece earlier today. I agree with him entirely about songs losing individual ownership once released to the public. It's intellectually respectful and is a necessary counter to what copyright has done to art.

And I can appreciate what he's say about how we should separate Morrissey's (past) art from his political views, but it strikes me as a bit too abstract compartmentalization. If we make emotional and intellectual attachments to art (in this case, songs), can we easily make the division to keep the emotional connection when certain intellectual factors change? I think it asks a lot of an audience. If you can pull it off, more power to you. But I think it's rather tough in practice, especially when talking about an artist whose success has come from generating emotional connections.
Down to the individual always.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia