The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Kory »

This was fun to watch. It's crazy to consider that, since pretty much all their songs were composed instrumentally first and then given to Morrissey, Marr has such a crazy sense of innate harmony to write something this dense and then think "yeah, somebody can write something over the top of this."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 1:15pm

This was fun to watch. It's crazy to consider that, since pretty much all their songs were composed instrumentally first and then given to Morrissey, Marr has such a crazy sense of innate harmony to write something this dense and then think "yeah, somebody can write something over the top of this."
As much as Morrissey repels me, Johnny Marr makes sure I'll never really walk away from the Smiths.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 1:25pm
Kory wrote:

As much as Morrissey repels me, Johnny Marr makes sure I'll never really walk away from the Smiths.
A lot of it has to do with Andy Rourke for me, he doesn't get NEARLY enough credit for what he did for that band.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 2:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

A lot of it has to do with Andy Rourke for me, he doesn't get NEARLY enough credit for what he did for that band.
The rhythm section as a whole was superb. Rourke gave things a slightly funky sound that added extra pep.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 2:28pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

The rhythm section as a whole was superb. Rourke gave things a slightly funky sound that added extra pep.
It was a good job they were both in that funk band before the Smiths. Also from a harmonic perspective, his work with counterpoint made their stuff so layered. You can get lost.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 2:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

It was a good job they were both in that funk band before the Smiths. Also from a harmonic perspective, his work with counterpoint made their stuff so layered. You can get lost.
Get someone to edit out Morrissey and create special all-instrumental Smiths albums, and I'm on board that train.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 2:53pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Get someone to edit out Morrissey and create special all-instrumental Smiths albums, and I'm on board that train.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
Just a small point but Mike Joyce was in punk bands before The Smiths. The funk band was Johnny and Andy (Freak Party) with Simon Wolstencroft on drums.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:20pm
Kory wrote:
Just a small point but Mike Joyce was in punk bands before The Smiths. The funk band was Johnny and Andy (Freak Party) with Simon Wolstencroft on drums.
Yeah, I was just talking about the two stringmen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Apologist.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:38pm
Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Apologist.
I prefer dispassionate.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:32pm
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:
Ahh.. got it. I always wonder how different The Smiths might have sounded with SW on drums - maybe it would have influenced more of JMs funk side.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 4:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:38pm
Apologist.
I prefer dispassionate.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 4:15pm
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:
Ahh.. got it. I always wonder how different The Smiths might have sounded with SW on drums - maybe it would have influenced more of JMs funk side.
My guess would be Morrissey would have left the band.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 4:40pm
oliver wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 4:15pm
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:
My guess would be Morrissey would have left the band.
Or just shoved SW out. Wasn't Morrissey the prime instigator for dumping Rourke over his heroin addiction?