Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 4:40pm
oliver wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 4:15pm
Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:32pm
oliver wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:20pm

Just a small point but Mike Joyce was in punk bands before The Smiths. The funk band was Johnny and Andy (Freak Party) with Simon Wolstencroft on drums.
Yeah, I was just talking about the two stringmen.
Ahh.. got it. I always wonder how different The Smiths might have sounded with SW on drums - maybe it would have influenced more of JMs funk side.
My guess would be Morrissey would have left the band.
Or just shoved SW out. Wasn't Morrissey the prime instigator for dumping Rourke over his heroin addiction?
Yes, though I don't know if he'd identify SW as the instigator of funk if Marr and Rourke were writing to go with it. He might think he found himself in some funk band unexpectedly and go back to working with Billy Duffy or something.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 6:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 6:06pm
Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 4:40pm
oliver wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 4:15pm
Kory wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 3:32pm

Yeah, I was just talking about the two stringmen.
Ahh.. got it. I always wonder how different The Smiths might have sounded with SW on drums - maybe it would have influenced more of JMs funk side.
My guess would be Morrissey would have left the band.
Or just shoved SW out. Wasn't Morrissey the prime instigator for dumping Rourke over his heroin addiction?
Yes, though I don't know if he'd identify SW as the instigator of funk if Marr and Rourke were writing to go with it. He might think he found himself in some funk band unexpectedly and go back to working with Billy Duffy or something.
It depends, I suppose, on whether he thought his bond with Marr was greater than Marr's with Rourke.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

This video premiered today on Morrissey’s official YouTube channel. I was at this show. Nice to relive it.

Attachments
Morrissey @ Shoreline Amphitheatre (10-31-1991) Ticket.jpg
Morrissey @ Shoreline Amphitheatre (10-31-1991) Ticket.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 4326 times

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 May 2020, 5:28pm
This video premiered today on Morrissey’s official YouTube channel. I was at this show. Nice to relive it.

Nice when I could still relate to him.

I was at this one from the same year.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2020, 5:56pm

Yes, that’s a great one. I received a VHS copy of this show back then. Alain’s finger(s) were bleeding, but he played on.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
22 May 2020, 6:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2020, 5:56pm

Yes, that’s a great one. I received a VHS copy of this show back then. Alain’s finger(s) were bleeding, but he played on.
I think they were a very solid band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

From the article:
"As a cherry on that toxic cake, he even released a T-shirt of a cop beating the hell out of someone."

We all know Morrissey has some "complicated" views but this t-shirt is an anti-police brutality statement that says, quite clearly, "who will protect us from the police?" underneath the picture.

At his live shows he projects images of police brutality when he plays his anti-police song called called Ganglord. I don't think anyone has ever suggested it is in support of violence before. It's a quite bizarre take on it.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 9:42am
From the article:
"As a cherry on that toxic cake, he even released a T-shirt of a cop beating the hell out of someone."

We all know Morrissey has some "complicated" views but this t-shirt is an anti-police brutality statement that says, quite clearly, "who will protect us from the police?" underneath the picture.

At his live shows he projects images of police brutality when he plays his anti-police song called called Ganglord. I don't think anyone has ever suggested it is in support of violence before. It's a quite bizarre take on it.
All of which is likely true, but he no longer enjoys the benefit of the doubt. The arrow has moved enough overall that when an interpretation can be made, plenty are inclined to see the darker side with him. It might not be fair, but he's earned it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
From the article:

I truly don't know what to make of him anymore. I personally believe many of his views are based on what he thinks will be provocative. He used to be really good at it, but has increasingly seemed out of touch.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 9:25am
oliver wrote:
From the article:

I truly don't know what to make of him anymore. I personally believe many of his views are based on what he thinks will be provocative. He used to be really good at it, but has increasingly seemed out of touch.
There is the old advice that when people try to show you who they are, believe them. Maybe he (and Lydon) changed, maybe we read in them what we wanted to see. Regardless, they made their choices about who they are and so do we.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 7:49am
Low in High School is better than Maladjusted. As is Years of Refusal.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 10:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
oliver wrote:
From the article:

maybe we read in them what we wanted to see.
I think this is the biggest part of it. Morrissey was held up as some kind of representative for outsiders, but his lyrics have never been anything other than personal. He never said that he wanted to speak for anyone else or be anyone's messiah (although he did relish it of course). People saw what they wanted to about a profoundly selfish man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 6:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 10:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
oliver wrote:
From the article:

maybe we read in them what we wanted to see.
I think this is the biggest part of it. Morrissey was held up as some kind of representative for outsiders, but his lyrics have never been anything other than personal. He never said that he wanted to speak for anyone else or be anyone's messiah (although he did relish it of course). People saw what they wanted to about a profoundly selfish man.
Sadly, yes.