25 May 2023, 6:38am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2023, 4:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2023, 2:11pm
oliver wrote:
24 May 2023, 1:55pm

I enjoyed the read but I'm not sure I agree with this bit:

In court, Morrissey and Marr produced a number of documents showing them as having signed any/all contracts and often them being witnessed by Mike Joyce. His defence was that he didn't understand what he was signing. Also, Andy was friends with Johnny since school days, I find it a little hard to accept that he didn't know the deal either.

I don't mean to say I think 40/40/10/10 was right because my idealized view is them all living in a house together like The Monkees and being BFFs but I do think it's more likely they were aware of the situation than not.
I agree. The split was unjust, but I can't believe that it took years and years for the rhythm section to discover this. More likely knowing that as long as the band is rolling they could hold their tongue (to be a good team player, fear of being replaced), but once it was over, self-interest manifests in a different way.
As an aside, shouldn't it have gone 20/20/20/20/20 when Craig Gannon joined if the deal was an equal split?
It's not a widely acknowledged principle, but the world rejects the idea of people named Craig getting an equal cut of anything.
Dr. Medulla goes into full on Brosette mode.
Have I been insulted or complimented? I have a horrible feeling it's the former.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Logan
:yuck:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by oliver »

I had assumed he just faded into obscurity after Bros. Seems like getting out was the best decision he made.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 8:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2023, 8:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2023, 2:11pm

I agree. The split was unjust, but I can't believe that it took years and years for the rhythm section to discover this. More likely knowing that as long as the band is rolling they could hold their tongue (to be a good team player, fear of being replaced), but once it was over, self-interest manifests in a different way.

It's not a widely acknowledged principle, but the world rejects the idea of people named Craig getting an equal cut of anything.
Have I been insulted or complimented? I have a horrible feeling it's the former.
You started it wise man.🤣

"the idea of people named Craig getting an equal cut of anything"

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2023, 11:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I never imagined being shivved on the topic of a Craig. :disshame:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 11:28am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2023, 11:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I never imagined being shivved on the topic of a Craig. :disshame:
🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've always found it interesting that early on in his solo days... Morrissey didn't immediately cut ties with his former bandmates.

Take a look at who is backing him on this video:

I see Rourke, Joyce, and Gannon.

Andy Rourke even threw his hat in the ring as a potential songwriting partner.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 May 2023, 12:13pm
I've always found it interesting that early on in his solo days... Morrissey didn't immediately cut ties with his former bandmates.

Take a look at who is backing him on this video:

I see Rourke, Joyce, and Gannon.

Andy Rourke even threw his hat in the ring as a potential songwriting partner.
Probably not that surprising given that it was Marr who jumped ship, not Morrissey, and the latter was, perhaps, uncertain about how viable a career without Marr would be, so early on he kept close those he knew. Working with Vini Reilly, tho, is still the strangest, boldest partnership he's pursued.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 12:29pm
Probably not that surprising given that it was Marr who jumped ship, not Morrissey, and the latter was, perhaps, uncertain about how viable a career without Marr would be, so early on he kept close those he knew. Working with Vini Reilly, tho, is still the strangest, boldest partnership he's pursued.
VR was brought in by Stephen Street (as was Andrew Paresi on drums) but no doubt he'd have been out if Morrissey took any kind of dislike.

Andy's co-write on "Girl Least Likely To" is one of my favourite Moz songs (ignoring that's it totally borrowed from The Cookies 'Only to Other People')

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

If you can get past his comedy 'stylings' this is an enjoyable video about the drums on Disappointed by Paresi.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
25 May 2023, 12:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
VR was brought in by Stephen Street (as was Andrew Paresi on drums) but no doubt he'd have been out if Morrissey took any kind of dislike.
At that point, I'm not sure Morrissey would have been willing to overrule Street, who wrote the music. Was he used to overruling musicians in the Smiths? And his footing at that point would have been uncertain. So, yeah, my use of "pursued" is inapt. Without Street, he's probably as likely to bring back the other Smiths for his first album.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 12:44pm
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
At that point, I'm not sure Morrissey would have been willing to overrule Street, who wrote the music. Was he used to overruling musicians in the Smiths? And his footing at that point would have been uncertain. So, yeah, my use of "pursued" is inapt. Without Street, he's probably as likely to bring back the other Smiths for his first album.
I think it was less that he overruled musicians in the Smiths than that he would simply not write the lyrics for a song he didn't care for.

On the Reilly tip, he's on record as disagreeing strongly with Street over songwriting credits on Viva Hate.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
25 May 2023, 1:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 12:44pm
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think it was less that he overruled musicians in the Smiths than that he would simply not write the lyrics for a song he didn't care for.

On the Reilly tip, he's on record as disagreeing strongly with Street over songwriting credits on Viva Hate.
According to Street, Reilly has now retracted those claims.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 May 2023, 1:11pm
While it's clearly VR's style of playing—as distinctive a guitarist I can think of—there's nothing in The Durutti Column's catalogue that sounds as "conventional" as Viva Hate. How much he altered Street's original ideas, I haven't a clue, but I don't doubt for a second that Street brought the bulk of the music to the table. Still, VR's such an obvious sound should mean a co-writing credit.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »