The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 97268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 8:24pm
The Smiths meant a lot to me when I was a kid. I probably couldn't write a movie that truly articulated what they meant to me, but I pray it would not be as ham fisted as this.
I've confessed to students—in a full-on self-deprecating way—that the line "I wear black on the outside cos black is how I feel on the inside" meant a lot when I was, like, 17. Punk anger mixed with Smiths wallowing. We can wince at it all now, having survived to some kind of maturity, but it's that strand of self-absorbed adolescence right there.
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

BR16ADE_R055E
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3619
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:25pm
Location: Winterland/Mabuhay Gardens

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

oliver wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 10:14am
I saw this last night. I wish I'd have seen it in a proper movie theatre with a real sound system but since I live in an area that elected Marjorie Taylor-Greene, the chances of anywhere showing it are about as likely as Toby Keith doing a PETA ad.

It's hard for me to criticize anything that is basically wall-to-wall Smiths music or footage of Morrissey/Marr being interviewed (mostly from the South Bank Show in '87) but some of the dialogue is so shoe-horned in to make a Smiths reference it's almost laughable. You can predict the lyric from the situation a mile off.

I think the phrase is: "for fans only"
Nice cameo from Jose Maldonado though :)

I watched it last night, too. I was disappointed, but on the plus side, Smiths songs were used. I think the best character is the DJ.

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6029
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Olaf »

oliver wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 8:07pm
Olaf wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 11:01am
oliver wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 10:14am
I live in an area that elected Marjorie Taylor-Greene
Really? Never had you down as a Southerner. In fact, in my head I hear you talking in a Manc accent.
Expat - originally from London
Ah, I see. Interesting. Nice to know roughly where everyone's located.
Die Spitzenwichser ohne Schädelkraft/Die machen hier einfach/Was keiner mehr rafft

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4955
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Olaf wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 2:49am
oliver wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 8:07pm
Olaf wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 11:01am
oliver wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 10:14am
I live in an area that elected Marjorie Taylor-Greene
Really? Never had you down as a Southerner. In fact, in my head I hear you talking in a Manc accent.
Expat - originally from London
Ah, I see. Interesting. Nice to know roughly where everyone's located.
We're worldwide ;)
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Rock on George, one time for Ringo." - Ringo Starr

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 97268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.nme.com/news/film/the-smith ... er-2910119
Meanwhile, film critic Mark Kermode said: “Well, I’ll say this: Shoplifters of the World is EXACTLY the movie that Morrissey deserves.”
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 17154
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by revbob »


oliver
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 975
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by oliver »

Morrissey doesn't look too thrilled either
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2882
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I don't know what people know of this (I'm not a big Smiths/Morrisey fan) but thought it should go here (apologies if it's been discussed previously):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mor ... 37650.html

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 97268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:17am
Hello,

I don't know what people know of this (I'm not a big Smiths/Morrisey fan) but thought it should go here (apologies if it's been discussed previously):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mor ... 37650.html
*gasp* Morrissey can't laugh at his public image? Dear me, dear me!
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 51175
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 1:19pm
gkbill wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:17am
Hello,

I don't know what people know of this (I'm not a big Smiths/Morrisey fan) but thought it should go here (apologies if it's been discussed previously):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mor ... 37650.html
*gasp* Morrissey can't laugh at his public image? Dear me, dear me!
The Parody Lingers.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 97268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listening to an innertube radio station, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" came on. Hearing Morrissey's voice provoked an instinctual wincing, so I'd say the needle has fully moved with him for me. I could still marvel at the seeming effortlessness of Marr's playing, but that voice just sours the experience.
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 51175
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 11:52am
Listening to an innertube radio station, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" came on. Hearing Morrissey's voice provoked an instinctual wincing, so I'd say the needle has fully moved with him for me. I could still marvel at the seeming effortlessness of Marr's playing, but that voice just sours the experience.
I would've thought it was a voice you made an instant opinion on first hearing. Not 35 plus years later. So is it a case of him being a turd that has now soured things?
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 97268
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 11:52am
Listening to an innertube radio station, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" came on. Hearing Morrissey's voice provoked an instinctual wincing, so I'd say the needle has fully moved with him for me. I could still marvel at the seeming effortlessness of Marr's playing, but that voice just sours the experience.
I would've thought it was a voice you made an instant opinion on first hearing. Not 35 plus years later. So is it a case of him being a turd that has now soured things?
Right, sorry, that's what I meant. I was never bothered by his voice as an aesthetic thing—I get why some people despise it—but I never found it an asset either. It did the job. But now, hearing that voice just triggers all the ugliness he spouts. It's the automatic association that is different for me now versus, say, a year ago.
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 51175
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 11:52am
Listening to an innertube radio station, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" came on. Hearing Morrissey's voice provoked an instinctual wincing, so I'd say the needle has fully moved with him for me. I could still marvel at the seeming effortlessness of Marr's playing, but that voice just sours the experience.
I would've thought it was a voice you made an instant opinion on first hearing. Not 35 plus years later. So is it a case of him being a turd that has now soured things?
Right, sorry, that's what I meant. I was never bothered by his voice as an aesthetic thing—I get why some people despise it—but I never found it an asset either. It did the job. But now, hearing that voice just triggers all the ugliness he spouts. It's the automatic association that is different for me now versus, say, a year ago.
Yep very easy to understand that statement. I can't remember when I last played a Smiths record due to him being the worst kind of arrogant plank there is. I still like The Smiths and that won't change. But when I'll find time for them could like whenever.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14185
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Kory »

Morrissey sucks no doubt, but I have a hard time relinquishing my love for music that's meant the world to me for so long.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Post Reply