Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 11:10am
oliver wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 10:06am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 6:14am
I have mixed feelings about Morrisey as i do find the Smiths a bit contrived and i have found in myself that if i feel that coming across it really spoils the music for me. Someone mentioned about when you are truly down you don't really want music that emphasises this you usually look for escape and music that lifts you instead.I actually think there is a lot of truth to that

All my friends loved the smiths and i do recognise the smiths were very original so i got into them a bit so i am left a bit mixed in my feelings.But I definitely don't listen to them now

I do remember being really disappointed in Morrisey. I was at an outdoor venue where Morrisey was playing as a solo artist and he came on wrapped with a union jack around him and was parading up and down trying to make some sort of a point.
Now that day there was a liquid filled plastic bottle throwing battle all fun and part of the festival but all day bottles were thrown from left and right of the stage in the audience. Morrisey was only in to his set by the first song and for whatever reason a couple here and there bottles were turned on him.
To my great surprise one of them hits him and he instantly walked off stage like a red faced sulking drama queen and never came back. I was only in my twenties at the time and thought how pathetic that the first thing that doesn't go Morrisey's way and he gives up immediately. I was thinking what an awful example to send to all your fans to be someone that just gives up when the world doesn't go your way.

In contrast Aswad were playing later on and were getting the same treatment of bottles being thrown at them. Aswad stopped playing and took the crowd head on. A speech was made by the band about how the fight wasn't here and now but bigger battles need to be fought elsewhere in the right places. It was a speech that was dynamic and not rehearsed but spoken from the heart. He then continued to say so put these bottles down and join us together united with strength. This got a massive cheer from the bottle throwing crowd and from then on everyone was right behind Aswad and they won the audience over .
In fact i do remember that the lead singer was so taken with the event himself that he even got on to a very high speaker and was dancing on top with excitement only to have the security getting very worried as the speaker was wobbling and ready to topple and he came down because of the danger it could have brought to himself as well as the public.

Unfortunately my memory is a bit vague of all details but i am sure there must be others from this site that may of been there too as also on the appearance listing that weekend was Joe Strummer and Big Audio Dynamite so if anyone can fill in my memory gaps, i would love to be reminded.

But to me it said a lot about Morrisey's attitude and i have never been that impressed with him since.
Could you be conflating two events? The Morrissey stuff sounds a lot like Madstock in '92 when he was waving a Union Flag around during Glamorous Glue. The trigger for the bottle throwing was singing the 'London is dead' part to a boozed up crowd of middle-aged Londoners there to see Madness.
It must be as i have been to Madstock and your description is too accurate to be wrong. Thank you Oliver something at the back of my mind was niggling me that something wasn't right that's why i asked for a memory prompt. The two events are right just it didn't happen at the same venue both festivals had heavy bottle throwing going on. I am trying to think where the Aswad appearance would be now and it would be that place that Strummer and BAD played. I went to gigs on a weekly basis back then seeing hundreds of gigs and due to frequent attendance the events do merge in to one at times as most bands each played the same venues at similar times,
i am not advocating bottle throwing at all but i found Morrisey response completely feeble and there was lots of let down Morrisey fans that were there to support him to only get to hear 1 or 2 songs
Festival of Youth Milton Keynes. I went to both days.
Attachments
AM.jpg
AM.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 12:20pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
oliver wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
I have mixed feelings about Morrisey as i do find the Smiths a bit contrived and i have found in myself that if i feel that coming across it really spoils the music for me. Someone mentioned about when you are truly down you don't really want music that emphasises this you usually look for escape and music that lifts you instead.I actually think there is a lot of truth to that

All my friends loved the smiths and i do recognise the smiths were very original so i got into them a bit so i am left a bit mixed in my feelings.But I definitely don't listen to them now

I do remember being really disappointed in Morrisey. I was at an outdoor venue where Morrisey was playing as a solo artist and he came on wrapped with a union jack around him and was parading up and down trying to make some sort of a point.
Now that day there was a liquid filled plastic bottle throwing battle all fun and part of the festival but all day bottles were thrown from left and right of the stage in the audience. Morrisey was only in to his set by the first song and for whatever reason a couple here and there bottles were turned on him.
To my great surprise one of them hits him and he instantly walked off stage like a red faced sulking drama queen and never came back. I was only in my twenties at the time and thought how pathetic that the first thing that doesn't go Morrisey's way and he gives up immediately. I was thinking what an awful example to send to all your fans to be someone that just gives up when the world doesn't go your way.

In contrast Aswad were playing later on and were getting the same treatment of bottles being thrown at them. Aswad stopped playing and took the crowd head on. A speech was made by the band about how the fight wasn't here and now but bigger battles need to be fought elsewhere in the right places. It was a speech that was dynamic and not rehearsed but spoken from the heart. He then continued to say so put these bottles down and join us together united with strength. This got a massive cheer from the bottle throwing crowd and from then on everyone was right behind Aswad and they won the audience over .
In fact i do remember that the lead singer was so taken with the event himself that he even got on to a very high speaker and was dancing on top with excitement only to have the security getting very worried as the speaker was wobbling and ready to topple and he came down because of the danger it could have brought to himself as well as the public.

Unfortunately my memory is a bit vague of all details but i am sure there must be others from this site that may of been there too as also on the appearance listing that weekend was Joe Strummer and Big Audio Dynamite so if anyone can fill in my memory gaps, i would love to be reminded.

But to me it said a lot about Morrisey's attitude and i have never been that impressed with him since.
Could you be conflating two events? The Morrissey stuff sounds a lot like Madstock in '92 when he was waving a Union Flag around during Glamorous Glue. The trigger for the bottle throwing was singing the 'London is dead' part to a boozed up crowd of middle-aged Londoners there to see Madness.
It must be as i have been to Madstock and your description is too accurate to be wrong. Thank you Oliver something at the back of my mind was niggling me that something wasn't right that's why i asked for a memory prompt. The two events are right just it didn't happen at the same venue both festivals had heavy bottle throwing going on. I am trying to think where the Aswad appearance would be now and it would be that place that Strummer and BAD played. I went to gigs on a weekly basis back then seeing hundreds of gigs and due to frequent attendance the events do merge in to one at times as most bands each played the same venues at similar times,
i am not advocating bottle throwing at all but i found Morrisey response completely feeble and there was lots of let down Morrisey fans that were there to support him to only get to hear 1 or 2 songs
Hey marky thats brilliant you have brought back some good memories thanks for that. I knew there must be others from this site that was there as well i should have known already it would be you :mrgreen: I was at both dates as well :approve: I bet we both saw a lot of gigs at the same venues and dates back then thanks again

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
oliver wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Hey marky thats brilliant you have brought back some good memories thanks for that. I knew there must be others from this site that was there as well i should have known already it would be you :mrgreen: I was at both dates as well :approve: I bet we both saw a lot of gigs at the same venues and dates back then thanks again
Definitely mate. I used to go to loads of gigs and that was a great line up. Never that keen on the venue but the line up was killer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:31pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
oliver wrote:

Definitely mate. I used to go to loads of gigs and that was a great line up. Never that keen on the venue but the line up was killer.
If i havent got my dates mixed up again i think that was where BAD was promoting Tighten up Vol 88 and it was just before the album was released and it was the first time i got to hear Battle of old Saints road and a brilliant version as well, i immediately loved the song. But generally the venue wasnt the best especially for those sort of bands that were playing that weekend, it was more suited to bands like U2 which i saw at that venue at another time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

If i havent got my dates mixed up again i think that was where BAD was promoting Tighten up Vol 88 and it was just before the album was released and it was the first time i got to hear Battle of old Saints road and a brilliant version as well, i immediately loved the song. But generally the venue wasnt the best especially for those sort of bands that were playing that weekend, it was more suited to bands like U2 which i saw at that venue at another time.
Yep both the Festival of Youth and Tighten Up Vol. 88 were in June that year. The venue is too big and the sound flutters around from odd acoustics of the bowl. I much prefer a club but with such a great line up that festival was a must.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Yep both the Festival of Youth and Tighten Up Vol. 88 were in June that year. The venue is too big and the sound flutters around from odd acoustics of the bowl. I much prefer a club but with such a great line up that festival was a must.

As for U2 yep I saw them at the same venue also. Another great line up.
Attachments
u2-milton-keynes-1985-ramones-music-1280x874.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:47pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah, that is a pretty spectacular line up for my money. All bands/artists I'd want to see and I was just about still on board the U2 train by that point.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 10:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Yeah, that is a pretty spectacular line up for my money. All bands/artists I'd want to see and I was just about still on board the U2 train by that point.
The longest day, yep Marky that was the one i was at as well and its a real pleasure to be able to share the same experiences

I also don't think these gigs cost an arm and a leg and very reasonably priced @Low down low. Well they certainly weren't the ridiculous prices that they would charge now to see such priceless line ups. £25 - £30 comes to mind

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 10:19am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The longest day, yep Marky that was the one i was at as well and its a real pleasure to be able to share the same experiences

I also don't think these gigs cost an arm and a leg and very reasonably priced @Low down low. Well they certainly weren't the ridiculous prices that they would charge now to see such priceless line ups. £25 - £30 comes to mind
I make the very odd exception hugh, but i generally balk at paying much in excess of £25-30 per gig which i think is about average for a small/medium venue rock gig nowadays. I guess things have changed in that live performing is probably the big earner for most bands now whereas once it was more usually a means of promoting an upcoming or recent record, so i suppose that partly explains the sharp inflationary spiral in ticket prices.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 12:46pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 10:19am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I make the very odd exception hugh, but i generally balk at paying much in excess of £25-30 per gig which i think is about average for a small/medium venue rock gig nowadays. I guess things have changed in that live performing is probably the big earner for most bands now whereas once it was more usually a means of promoting an upcoming or recent record, so i suppose that partly explains the sharp inflationary spiral in ticket prices.
Yeah nobody buys music anymore so it's basically the equivalent of paying for the album and the show as a bundle.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Poor Morrissey, a victim of a conspiracy: https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrisse ... um-3394087

Yeah, totally not the thought processes of someone enmeshed in far right thinking these days.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 7:02am
Poor Morrissey, a victim of a conspiracy: https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrisse ... um-3394087

Yeah, totally not the thought processes of someone enmeshed in far right thinking these days.
“Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group,”

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 9:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm not even sure what he means. That is, he's saying he's too edgy and genuine and, gosh darn it, probably puts in too many hours of overtime that he doesn't claim, but he regularly bemoans all kinds of genuine diversity, so … huh? It's infantile self-pitying rather than a real critical barb.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 9:57am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm not even sure what he means. That is, he's saying he's too edgy and genuine and, gosh darn it, probably puts in too many hours of overtime that he doesn't claim, but he regularly bemoans all kinds of genuine diversity, so … huh? It's infantile self-pitying rather than a real critical barb.
I think it's just like how conservatives use it as some kinda "gotcha" to point out that people who profess tolerance still don't want Nazis around. Real diversity would mean inclusion for racist ethno-nationalists, after all.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 10:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 9:57am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think it's just like how conservatives use it as some kinda "gotcha" to point out that people who profess tolerance still don't want Nazis around. Real diversity would mean inclusion for racist ethno-nationalists, after all.
Ah, the people who fail Philosophy 101.