The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 10:49pm
I think it might be easier to list the Smiths songs I don't like - and there are not many.

I've never liked Accept Yourself. Morrissey's lyric is clumsy.

Barbarism Begins at Home has some nice bass from Andy Rourke, but it goes on way too long.

Meat Is Murder is another clunker. Those two tracks really drag down the LP of the same name in my opinion.

Work is a Four Letter Word / Golden Lights are trite - slap dashed covers. They're listenable, but that's all I'll say about them.

I Keep Mine Hidden is another weak track and a bummer of a way to go out.
I like "I Keep Mine Hidden." It's a bit slight, sure, but it's jaunty.

To add to your list, which I otherwise agree with, "Miserable Lie" is easily my most skipped Smiths song. Absolutely nothing appealing about it. "Unhappy Birthday" is on the meh side, as well.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Studio version of This Night Has Opened My Eyes. Recorded Summer 1984 at the same session that yielded William, It Was Really Nothing. I prefer the "live" Peel Session version from Fall 1983.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Monitor mix of Ask, which is a fun listen as you get to hear the song in it's work in progress state. This song became a point of contention between Morrissey and Marr. Marr and producer John Porter had come up with a very complex guitar arrangement, essentially weaving a bunch of parts together to create this huge sound. It was supposed to be mixed once they returned from a short tour of the States, but Morrissey went behind the backs of Marr and Porter and had Steve Lillywhite mix the track. He did an okay job, but he didn't have the blueprint that Porter had put together.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
I've never liked Accept Yourself. Morrissey's lyric is clumsy.
I love that lyric and way Morrissey progresses from looking for someone to blame, to running out of people to blame and finally realising he is the one to blame.
"Others conquered love but I ran, I sat in my room and I drew up a plan but plans can fall through and so often they do" is, I imagine, the perfect description of Morrissey as a youth.
WestwayKid wrote:
I Keep Mine Hidden is another weak track and a bummer of a way to go out.
That's probably just about in my top ten too :) I just wish it didn't sound like it was recorded in a toilet.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Apr 2023, 8:31am

Monitor mix of Ask, which is a fun listen as you get to hear the song in it's work in progress state. This song became a point of contention between Morrissey and Marr. Marr and producer John Porter had come up with a very complex guitar arrangement, essentially weaving a bunch of parts together to create this huge sound. It was supposed to be mixed once they returned from a short tour of the States, but Morrissey went behind the backs of Marr and Porter and had Steve Lillywhite mix the track. He did an okay job, but he didn't have the blueprint that Porter had put together.
I do like the extra guitar in the mix, totally changes the sound of it to my ears.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

On the one hand, yeah, we all know that frustration and how it feels unjust, but Morrissey, of course, has to go that extra mile of dickishness. Taking it out on the flight crew is the Karen route.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 10:48am
On the one hand, yeah, we all know that frustration and how it feels unjust, but Morrissey, of course, has to go that extra mile of dickishness. Taking it out on the flight crew is the Karen route.
Hello,

"Morrissey is a Karen" - that would make a good t-shirt. I'm trademarking it later this afternoon.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
17 May 2023, 10:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

"Morrissey is a Karen" - that would make a good t-shirt. I'm trademarking it later this afternoon.
I’ll take 10% of all profits.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

There is a track on his new LP called "Please, Please, Please Let Me Speak to the Manager"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 May 2023, 11:18am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

There is a track on his new LP called "Please, Please, Please Let Me Speak to the Manager"
"Heaven Knows That's Not What I Ordered!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

In my most recent Popcast, I posited that Morrissey might re-record Panic with the far-right baiting chorus "Hang the nonces, hang the nonces, hang the nonces."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Moz_1.jpg
Moz_1.jpg (117.02 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
I made this back in 2018 and sadly it feels even more relevant today.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 May 2023, 1:38pm
In my most recent Popcast, I posited that Morrissey might re-record Panic with the far-right baiting chorus "Hang the nonces, hang the nonces, hang the nonces."
One of the sad things about Morrissey is that his music has meant so much to so many people. It definitely meant something to me as an awkward teenager. It's been very sad to see him reveal himself as an absolute troll.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Devastated to hear about Andy Rourke. This one definitely hits hard.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps