Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 8:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 6:51am
Johnny Marr interview on his career: https://www.stereogum.com/2163778/johnn ... le-on-you/
Cool interview. Thanks for the share. Marr remains a really cool individual. It also reminded me that I need to listen to The The more. The two LP's they did while Marr was in the band are great:

With the exception of the soundtrack albums Matt Johnson released in the past 20 years, his work has been superb. Even the maligned Hank Williams' cover album has improved with time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 9:15am
WestwayKid wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 8:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 6:51am
Johnny Marr interview on his career: https://www.stereogum.com/2163778/johnn ... le-on-you/
Cool interview. Thanks for the share. Marr remains a really cool individual. It also reminded me that I need to listen to The The more. The two LP's they did while Marr was in the band are great:

With the exception of the soundtrack albums Matt Johnson released in the past 20 years, his work has been superb. Even the maligned Hank Williams' cover album has improved with time.
I've been listening to The The all day. I had forgotten how fantastic Matt Johnson is.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 2:29pm
I've been listening to The The all day. I had forgotten how fantastic Matt Johnson is.
He's got several unreleased albums of which only hints have been heard. Gun Sluts, which his record company thought was too extreme, is at the top of my wish list.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Simon Boswel posted this on a horror site:

Demons 2. Where do I begin? This was the first film where I got to score the whole thing AND put all the songs and bands together for the soundtrack. Big thanks to Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava for that opportunity.
I’m sure Morrissey has never forgiven me, but I really wanted The Smiths song ‘Panic’ playing during the party scene. So I had to write a letter (remember those paper things?) with a description of the context in which the track would be played and an outline of the film, to get his permission to use the song. Knowing his vegetarian disgust for meat and blood, I’m afraid I was economical with the truth. Thinking of the scene where a demon comes out of the TV set, savages Sally who then starts ripping people’s throats out, blood pouring through the ceiling, I told him the film was a metaphorical drama about our helpless, passive consumption of TV content. That the media is destroying people’s lives. That his song ‘Panic’ was a warning for us all. He said yes. 😀
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Morrissey to Marr: Stop talking about me! I mean, like, omigod!
https://www.nme.com/news/music/johnny-m ... ws-3146727

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 7:21am
Stop me if you've heard this one before...

It's all a bit Handbags at dawn.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marr's Twitter response was great.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's amusing for Morrissey to insinuate that Marr is a desperate publicity hound, glomming onto his Mozness to get attention. Which former member of the Smiths has achieved the reputation of a drama queen? Which one was adept at click-bait statements before the term was coined?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:39am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's amusing for Morrissey to insinuate that Marr is a desperate publicity hound, glomming onto his Mozness to get attention. Which former member of the Smiths has achieved the reputation of a drama queen? Which one was adept at click-bait statements before the term was coined?
I think he's pissed that after decades of lying low, Marr is now front and center and making some really solid music. In doing so, he's pulling the spotlight away from Morrissey and I think that bothers Morrissey quite a bit.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

It's all so fucking boring. They both suffer from their own self importance. One has a larger ego than the other.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Chick-bait? What's wrong with chick-bait statements?

Oh, click-bait....my bad.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think he's pissed that after decades of lying low, Marr is now front and center and making some really solid music. In doing so, he's pulling the spotlight away from Morrissey and I think that bothers Morrissey quite a bit.
Umm hasn't Johnny always made solid music?

Marr will never be as big as Morrissey and that's just a fact. Why Morrissey cares is beyond me other than he loves to fuel this shit for his own ends.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:48am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Marr will never be as big as Morrissey and that's just a fact. Why Morrissey cares is beyond me other than he loves to fuel this shit for his own ends.
Indeed he has. I should have written "...continues to make really solid music." ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:53am
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Indeed he has. I should have written "...continues to make really solid music." ;)
Fair enough my old mate. The only thing of his I bought that seemed somewhat lacklustre was "Boomslang" which was a kind of "Oasis" style album that didn't really do anything.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:56am
WestwayKid wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:53am
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fair enough my old mate. The only thing of his I bought that seemed somewhat lacklustre was "Boomslang" which was a kind of "Oasis" style album that didn't really do anything.
I agree on that one. I remember being very excited to get it, however. I'm really digging Fever Dreams so far.