General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: It's a 1960s movie

Post by Heston »

daredevil wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 6:34pm
Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
The song that got me into the Stones after hearing it on "Tour of Duty" in the early 90s. I'd thought they were just grizzled old bores until then.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 5:17pm
You Can't Hurry Love - Phil Collins
I will see you in the docket at The Hague, you monster.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kick Out the Jams
Born to be Wild
We Gotta Get Out of This Place
With a Little Help from My Friends (Joe Cocker Version)
Summertime Blues
Season of the Witch
Piece of My Heart (Janis Joplin version)
Going up the Country
I Heard It Through the Grapevine
Several Hendrix and Dylan songs.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

If it’s an actual 60s comedy movie, there’s at least a 40% chance there will be someone in a gorilla suit somewhere in it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 8:03pm
If it’s an actual 60s comedy movie, there’s at least a 40% chance there will be someone in a gorilla suit somewhere in it.
And/or Joe Flynn is in the cast.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Looking at what people have offered up, what's notably missing is the Beatles. I don't disagree, but is this simply a case of it costing too much to license Beatles songs (Mad Men paid $250K to use "Tomorrow Never Knows"—to superb effect—in one episode) or is it a case that the Beatles just didn't produce music that has achieved that kind of iconic status with the generic hippie/Vietnam imagery? The easier answer is the former, but I think there might be something to the latter.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:06pm
Looking at what people have offered up, what's notably missing is the Beatles. I don't disagree, but is this simply a case of it costing too much to license Beatles songs (Mad Men paid $250K to use "Tomorrow Never Knows"—to superb effect—in one episode) or is it a case that the Beatles just didn't produce music that has achieved that kind of iconic status with the generic hippie/Vietnam imagery? The easier answer is the former, but I think there might be something to the latter.
Could it be a little of both? For instance if Beatles songs cost too much movie makers were forced to go with different songs which in some cases gave better visibility to some songs/artists. And perhaps this created an idea of what a 60s soindtrack should sound like. Just a theory. I'll go on record as saying I'm not a big Beatles fan, I dont dislike them just don't get moved by them all that much (with a few exceptions). I think the Beatles became somewhat institutional and can lack some of the edge that some other songs from that era have. As well as not so often being so overtly political and lending to the message that some move makers are going for.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Could it be a little of both? For instance if Beatles songs cost too much movie makers were forced to go with different songs which in some cases gave better visibility to some songs/artists. And perhaps this created an idea of what a 60s soindtrack should sound like. Just a theory. I'll go on record as saying I'm not a big Beatles fan, I dont dislike them just don't get moved by them all that much (with a few exceptions). I think the Beatles became somewhat institutional and can lack some of the edge that some other songs from that era have. As well as not so often being so overtly political and lending to the message that some move makers are going for.
I like this idea as it has that unintentional, self-generating engine aspect to it. The other possibility that I wonder is that, Stones aside, the list is American. It does make some sense that there's something very local about how these things are constructed.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:43pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I like this idea as it has that unintentional, self-generating engine aspect to it. The other possibility that I wonder is that, Stones aside, the list is American. It does make some sense that there's something very local about how these things are constructed.
Yeah other than say Paint it Black, Satisfaction (in Apocalypse Now), We Gotta get out of this Place and a few others the songs for such movies I think tend to be overwhelming American and I think other than perhpas having a song of that era American songs of that period are usually a better reflection of the times as experienced from the American perspective.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 9:43pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah other than say Paint it Black, Satisfaction (in Apocalypse Now), We Gotta get out of this Place and a few others the songs for such movies I think tend to be overwhelming American and I think other than perhpas having a song of that era American songs of that period are usually a better reflection of the times as experienced from the American perspective.
And, really, with their affection for blues, the Stones were always more American sounding than the Beatles.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 3:44pm
coffeepotman wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 3:23pm
Such a wide spectrum to choose from Velvet Underground to the Four Tops and everything in between
VU is too outre for most 60s flicks, I'd say. As Inder put it, the songs from Time-Life ads—with aging Boomers grooving on their past, "when the music meant something."
Is that Freedom Rock?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 4:27pm
Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction
fave
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Time Has Come Today

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 3:13pm

CCR - Fortunate Son (I have had this playing in my head all morning—so bloody good)
also fave

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

tepista wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 12:09am
Time Has Come Today
Good call. Very effective in 'Coming Home' with Jane Fonda, Bruce Dern and Jon Voight, along with the Stones' Out of Time, JJ Flash and Sympathy, all played in their entirety (very unusual to play the full track, but those scenes really benefit from it).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs