Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Wolter »

Ok, this was an album that was never actually made:

As much as Andy Partridge just showed his own ass on Twitter with some soft holocaust denialism, I still wish XTC had done the side project they once bandied about: a fake compilation album of late 60s/early 70s Bubblegum. Each track would’ve been by a different fake band.

Of course, large swathes of the original bubblegum era hits were recorded by the same group of musicians under different names, so it’s not that different from reality.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 9:47am

As much as Andy Partridge just showed his own ass on Twitter with some soft holocaust denialism, I still wish XTC had done the side project they once bandied about: a fake compilation album of late 60s/early 70s Bubblegum. Each track would’ve been by a different fake band.

Of course, large swathes of the original bubblegum era hits were recorded by the same group of musicians under different names, so it’s not that different from reality.
Wasn't the "story" supposed to have been that Virgin bought the back catalog of an American bubblegum label and the resulting record would have been a sampler of the various artists? I think that could have been a brilliant release.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 9:59am
Wolter wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 9:47am

Wasn't the "story" supposed to have been that Virgin bought the back catalog of an American bubblegum label and the resulting record would have been a sampler of the various artists? I think that could have been a brilliant release.
I think so. I know it was going to be a full kayfabe thing like the Dukes when they started.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Oh, I'd love an official release of the Misfits' 12 Hits from Hell in their originally planned mixes (vs what came on the coffin box or the remixed promo version of 12 Hits that leaked out some years back).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 2:12pm
Oh, I'd love an official release of the Misfits' 12 Hits from Hell in their originally planned mixes (vs what came on the coffin box or the remixed promo version of 12 Hits that leaked out some years back).
Yeah I'd be all over that like Heston on Phil Collins.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 3:30pm
Flex wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 2:12pm
Yeah I'd be all over that like Heston on Phil Collins.
Oh same (and I actually like the mixes that were released)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The Clash’s pre Mick sacking of New Orleans style music?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 9:20am
This one is easy: Public Image Ltd's re-recorded version of First Issue for Warner's, supposedly still in a vault somewhere.

Also, I don't know how far Cocteau Twins got into recording their next album before scrapping everything, but it'd be nice to have one more from them.

Also also, Wire did some recordings with Steve Albini in the early 2000s. All involved said the results were poor, but still …
All of the above, plus whatever Commercial Zone might have finished up as.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 9:02am
"Lost" albums. Which ones do you wish you could hear? Let's take "Rat Patrol" off of the table as I'm sure we all really, really, really would really love an official release.

I would also include albums that have never been heard (by most of us). I'd love to hear "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" by Wu-Tang, for instance.
Troy Tate version of "The Smiths." There are so many versions of it out there that I have no idea which is the closest to the one they thought was finished.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Apologies to Mr. Kid for appropriating his thread, but I'm generally averse to starting new threads and this seems like something for your thread. I'm almost at the end of David Hepworth's mostly silly book that makes the claim that 1971 is the most important year for rock music. One of his Greil Marcus-like pronouncements:
“Baba O’Riley” sits at the center of Who’s Next, providing a tent pole so reliable that they could even afford to reserve their other big gun, “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” for the very end. Who’s Next sits at the center of 1971’s claim to be the most perfect moment in the short history of rock and roll, and with each passing year that claim grows stronger.
My question is for people to come up with alternate "most perfect moments," whether it's a song, album, performance, or year. As always, show your work.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 2:53pm
My question is for people to come up with alternate "most perfect moments," whether it's a song, album, performance, or year. As always, show your work.
skrewdriver covering won't get fooled again :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

it's a good question, i'll have to give it a think

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My offering: The Sex Pistols release "God Save the Queen," a song about marginalization, vengeance, and liberation, with a sound that matches that snarl. And it does what rock music is supposed to do—scare the fuck out of the people in charge and energize the young and alienated. So scary that the charts were rigged to deny it the #1 spot during the Jubilee. It fulfills everything that rock music promised and still sends a chill up my spine when I hear it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 3:00pm
My offering: The Sex Pistols release "God Save the Queen," a song about marginalization, vengeance, and liberation, with a sound that matches that snarl. And it does what rock music is supposed to do—scare the fuck out of the people in charge and energize the young and alienated. So scary that the charts were rigged to deny it the #1 spot during the Jubilee. It fulfills everything that rock music promised and still sends a chill up my spine when I hear it.
This is a good one.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 2:53pm
Okay, thought about this. This is obvious, but "That's All Right" by Elvis. It exploded everything and propelled rock and roll as we know it. Dangerous, rocking, and sexy. That's All Right still feels both historic and timeless when you listen to it (and people still listen to it, for pleasure, which is wild for a music that theoretically was designed to be disposable). Somehow Elvis channeled the subconscious tensions of America and sublimated it into a single that literally changed the course of music. Incredible.

Pex Lives!