Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Heston »

Big Audio Dynamite.

I would release each album with a contemporary mix by someone like Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) and include all the bonus tracks, plus the alleged Upping St mixes with Joe on vocals. The drum machine does nothing for the songs on Upping St or Tighten Up and it would be easy to rectify this.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 12:01pm
Playing to the home crowd here, but I'd propose deluxe editions of the Clash catalogue, each studio record supplemented with one or two representative live discs. For a band who reputation rested in no small part on their shows, it seems the proper way of approaching the albums.

The other would be cleaning up and overhauling as much as possible Wire's Mute albums from the 80s. Good songs hindered by 80s production. Even replacing all the midi drums with real ones would go a long way to improving those records.
It's Wire's 80s stuff for me too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

A couple years ago I would have said The Sound, but those two great box sets came out. Maybe Breathless? Or some Cocteau Twins remasters that are consistently good.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 12:26pm
Big Audio Dynamite.

I would release each album with a contemporary mix by someone like Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) and include all the bonus tracks, plus the alleged Upping St mixes with Joe on vocals. The drum machine does nothing for the songs on Upping St or Tighten Up and it would be easy to rectify this.
Seconded. Tighten Up especially, a great album that would be phenomenal if it was properly mixed and did away with the drum machine.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Here's a Q — when/why did band names become a thing? Like, the move from The Big George Five to The Whalemen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's just a marketing thing, no? If you're looking to stand out, a clever name might help distinguish you from other groups.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 1:56pm
Here's a Q — when/why did band names become a thing? Like, the move from The Big George Five to The Whalemen.
can't respect the sea if you're not a whaleman, inder
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 2:40pm
Inder wrote:
can't respect the sea if you're not a whaleman, inder
The Waterboys said "I am the Sea".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Inder wrote:
Hello,

Didn't the Beau Brummels get their name because it would put them next to the Beatles in record racks and thus generate sales?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 10:31pm
Inder wrote:
Hello,

Didn't the Beau Brummels get their name because it would put them next to the Beatles in record racks and thus generate sales?
Smart move 😂

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

gkbill wrote:
Inder wrote:
Hello,

Interesting!
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 2:28pm
It's just a marketing thing, no? If you're looking to stand out, a clever name might help distinguish you from other groups.
Yeah, I meant where it came from as a phenomenon — who was the first big "named" group, how did this start as a trend, etc.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 5:53pm
Yeah, I meant where it came from as a phenomenon — who was the first big "named" group, how did this start as a trend, etc.
Gotcha. I can't put a specific year on that, but I'm pretty sure there were hillbilly/country acts in the 1920s that had "names." It certainly predates r n r.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 5:53pm
gkbill wrote:
Inder wrote:
Hello,

Interesting!
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 2:28pm
Good question. I think band's emerged when the blues became various subgenre's.
As to the first big name well I guess that would depend on your view of big. I think maybe one of early doo-wop groups.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I would think going back to very early doo wop would not be far off. Earlier big band jazz groups tended to have names reflective of area they came from. The Ink Spots from early 30s are known as the fathers of doo wop and sold a ton of records, were also once known as the Percolating Puppies so i figure it was something they put some thought into. Though it possibly wasnt until the 50s when backing bands like the crickets and the comets were given recognition that it became a widespread practice. Just loose thoughts really.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 7:06am
I would think going back to very early doo wop would not be far off. Earlier big band jazz groups tended to have names reflective of area they came from. The Ink Spots from early 30s are known as the fathers of doo wop and sold a ton of records, were also once known as the Percolating Puppies so i figure it was something they put some thought into. Though it possibly wasnt until the 50s when backing bands like the crickets and the comets were given recognition that it became a widespread practice. Just loose thoughts really.
Good insight, I have to listen to more doo wop.