Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Kory »

I've become a master at separation. All my favorites are creeps—Dave Sim, Woody Allen, Morrissey, the list goes on—so shunning their work would be turning my back on stuff that has meant a huge amount to my life, which seems like kind of a nutty thing to do. It would mean having art in my life that I only kinda like instead of art that I love.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I just think it's funny that Ryan Adams and Bryan Adams share a birthday.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 2:17pm
And I don't think I've ever heard a Ryan Adams song and actively wish I'd never heard a Bryan Adams one.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 2:51pm
JennyB wrote:
And I don't think I've ever heard a Ryan Adams song and actively wish I'd never heard a Bryan Adams one.
You may have heard a whiskeytown song or something and not realized it, he's a pretty serviceable alt-country guy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 3:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 2:51pm
JennyB wrote:
You may have heard a whiskeytown song or something and not realized it, he's a pretty serviceable alt-country guy.
Maybe if something of his was in a soundtrack or something like that. But nothing I've ever been aware of who's playing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The concluding paragraph of Bob Dylan’s essay on Elvis Costello’s “Pump It Up” in The Philosophy of Modern Song caught my attention:
From here he went on to play chamber music, write songs with Burt Bacharach, do country records, cover records, soul records, ballet and orchestral music. When you are writing songs with Burt Bacharach, you obviously don’t give a fuck what people think. Elvis blows through all kinds of genres like they are not even there. “Pump It Up” is what gives him a license to do all these things.
It’s a neat observation, I think, because it runs counter to how fans treat artists who begin playing raw, hard, loud, and/or fast music—that they’ve sold out, they’ve gotten soft. Dylan spins it around and says once you’ve proven yourself with “fuck you” music, nobody can touch you when you do something else. Thoughts? Do fans get it wrong in complaining about betrayals and sell-outs?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 10:44am
The concluding paragraph of Bob Dylan’s essay on Elvis Costello’s “Pump It Up” in The Philosophy of Modern Song caught my attention:
From here he went on to play chamber music, write songs with Burt Bacharach, do country records, cover records, soul records, ballet and orchestral music. When you are writing songs with Burt Bacharach, you obviously don’t give a fuck what people think. Elvis blows through all kinds of genres like they are not even there. “Pump It Up” is what gives him a license to do all these things.
It’s a neat observation, I think, because it runs counter to how fans treat artists who begin playing raw, hard, loud, and/or fast music—that they’ve sold out, they’ve gotten soft. Dylan spins it around and says once you’ve proven yourself with “fuck you” music, nobody can touch you when you do something else. Thoughts? Do fans get it wrong in complaining about betrayals and sell-outs?
Yep Dylan is 100% spot on. It's narrow minded fans who say Sandinista! is a load of self indulgent crap and turn their ears off. Then say how much they love The Clash but just the first two albums.

Look if you want to have a White Riot all of your own then go and have one. But remember after you have smashed up all of your furniture don't come round to my house because you have nowhere left to sit. Plus I'll be chilling out listening to Sandinista! on my sofa.

If fans think "The Clash" is the best Clash record then fair enough or if it's the greatest punk album of all time then what would be the point of trying to emulate it.

Some bands who started out going 1-2-3-4! Could actually count up to 6. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 12:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yep Dylan is 100% spot on. It's narrow minded fans who say Sandinista! is a load of self indulgent crap and turn their ears off. Then say how much they love The Clash but just the first two albums.

Look if you want to have a White Riot all of your own then go and have one. But remember after you have smashed up all of your furniture don't come round to my house because you have nowhere left to sit. Plus I'll be chilling out listening to Sandinista! on my sofa.

If fans think "The Clash" is the best Clash record then fair enough or if it's the greatest punk album of all time then what would be the point of trying to emulate it.

Brilliant!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hey, the Police and Thieves intro is in 6/8!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't think artists owe their fans anything, so yes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 3:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I get that perspective and, to an extent, agree, but it could spill into contempt.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 3:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hey, the Police and Thieves intro is in 6/8!
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 2:34pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Brilliant!
👍😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 3:59pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I get that perspective and, to an extent, agree, but it could spill into contempt.
Sure, it's up to individual artists to moderate their own attitudes to things, but the ones that complain about betrayals and sell-outs are probably deserving of contempt.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 5:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 3:59pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sure, it's up to individual artists to moderate their own attitudes to things, but the ones that complain about betrayals and sell-outs are probably deserving of contempt.
On an experiential level, yeah, I agree with you—I've said many times that fans ruin everything—but intellectually I see a valuable role for audiences in fulfilling the significance of a work. Shit that goes unheard is just potential, so audiences are vital parts to bring it to fruition.