Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 4:53pm
I suppose I may regret it if they are able to quit their day jobs after I leave, but I'm positive I wouldn't work out in the long run even if that did happen with me still involved.
Maybe we can get Pitchfork to give it a 1.4, with the bass work considered the only redeeming feature.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 4:57pm
Kory wrote:
I suppose I may regret it if they are able to quit their day jobs after I leave, but I'm positive I wouldn't work out in the long run even if that did happen with me still involved.
Maybe we can get Pitchfork to give it a 1.4, with the bass work considered the only redeeming feature.
Well, we'll see how high in the mix Hague sets me. I know he already thinks I'm too "acrobatic" of a bassist. Perhaps he'll just bury me under the monument to compromise that the rest of the music is.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Well, we'll see how high in the mix Hague sets me. I know he already thinks I'm too "acrobatic" of a bassist. Perhaps he'll just bury me under the monument to compromise that the rest of the music is.
Well, there's the core of the criticism—the talent of the band was buried in the mix, fatally compromising the results.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:22pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Well, there's the core of the criticism—the talent of the band was buried in the mix, fatally compromising the results.
Never in a million years could I have predicted that Pitchfork would be an ally.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Never in a million years could I have predicted that Pitchfork would be an ally.
To be fair, Pitchfork writers are united in their profound disappointment in all music.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:53pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

To be fair, Pitchfork writers are united in their profound disappointment in all music.
Except Pavement.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 6:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:53pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Except Pavement.
Well, duh.

(Pavement's okay—at least the stuff ripping off the Fall—but I've never understood the critics' apparent collective decision that they were the Christ child of alternative music.)

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 4:01pm
Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:36pm
Kory you owe it yourself to quit that band. Listen you are a fine musician from the stuff I've heard and you can and will do much better than being in a band with a racist primadonna.
Thank you. I'm really looking forward to moving on to what I want to do next. My only hesitation might be that I won't be able to keep my chops up as well without having a structured rehearsal with other people twice a week. I'll just have to be diligent about practice, or find some other like-minded musicians (very difficult in this town).
I can aprreciate the difficulty in that. But seriously mate when I heard your stuff I was stunned at how good you are at what you do. You clearly know what music you like and what you want to play. Stick to your guns I'm sure you will find people with like minded interests and don't waste any more precious time in a band you dont belong in and don't want to be in.
Thanks Marky, that means a lot.
If your cover of "Are You Red...y" is anything to go by, you should be a modestly famous solo artist.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
28 May 2019, 8:43pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 4:01pm
Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:36pm
Kory you owe it yourself to quit that band. Listen you are a fine musician from the stuff I've heard and you can and will do much better than being in a band with a racist primadonna.
Thank you. I'm really looking forward to moving on to what I want to do next. My only hesitation might be that I won't be able to keep my chops up as well without having a structured rehearsal with other people twice a week. I'll just have to be diligent about practice, or find some other like-minded musicians (very difficult in this town).
I can aprreciate the difficulty in that. But seriously mate when I heard your stuff I was stunned at how good you are at what you do. You clearly know what music you like and what you want to play. Stick to your guns I'm sure you will find people with like minded interests and don't waste any more precious time in a band you dont belong in and don't want to be in.
Thanks Marky, that means a lot.
If your cover of "Are You Red...y" is anything to go by, you should be a modestly famous solo artist.
By my own standards, that was one of my worst productions, so maybe I should be even more famous.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:46pm
Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:37pm
No, I don't think she'd go that far, as it would alienate the other songwriter in the band, whom she relies on as a charismatic pretty face, but who is pretty much under her control as far as most band business and song arrangement goes. The rhythm section is completely expendable
You're Andy Rourke!
though I still don't think she would reveal the motivations behind her behavior with verbal confirmation, even so. I'm frankly a little shocked that I haven't been fired already, but it would be kind of an awkward time for it what with the studio and attendant photo shoot coming up.
Maybe she's like you, waiting for the recording to be complete before unsheathing the knife.

Again, I'm sorry it ended up shaking out this way for you, but you gave it a sincere shot and it just isn't what you need to be happy as a creative and performing person. Take comfort that you learned that you won't chuck away your principles for a shot at fame or whatever. There's far more who'd have stuck it out for mercenary reasons.
Thank you. I suppose I may regret it if they are able to quit their day jobs after I leave, but I'm positive I wouldn't work out in the long run even if that did happen with me still involved.
And even if they are successful monetarily, it sounds like it wouldn't have been worth it for your sanity.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:08am
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:46pm
Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:37pm
No, I don't think she'd go that far, as it would alienate the other songwriter in the band, whom she relies on as a charismatic pretty face, but who is pretty much under her control as far as most band business and song arrangement goes. The rhythm section is completely expendable
You're Andy Rourke!
though I still don't think she would reveal the motivations behind her behavior with verbal confirmation, even so. I'm frankly a little shocked that I haven't been fired already, but it would be kind of an awkward time for it what with the studio and attendant photo shoot coming up.
Maybe she's like you, waiting for the recording to be complete before unsheathing the knife.

Again, I'm sorry it ended up shaking out this way for you, but you gave it a sincere shot and it just isn't what you need to be happy as a creative and performing person. Take comfort that you learned that you won't chuck away your principles for a shot at fame or whatever. There's far more who'd have stuck it out for mercenary reasons.
Thank you. I suppose I may regret it if they are able to quit their day jobs after I leave, but I'm positive I wouldn't work out in the long run even if that did happen with me still involved.
And even if they are successful monetarily, it sounds like it wouldn't have been worth it for your sanity.
Yeah the idea of not having to work definitely appeals, but the band is already like a job so it wouldn't be much different, mentally.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

"Lost" albums. Which ones do you wish you could hear? Let's take "Rat Patrol" off of the table as I'm sure we all really, really, really would really love an official release.

I would also include albums that have never been heard (by most of us). I'd love to hear "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" by Wu-Tang, for instance.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This one is easy: Public Image Ltd's re-recorded version of First Issue for Warner's, supposedly still in a vault somewhere.

Also, I don't know how far Cocteau Twins got into recording their next album before scrapping everything, but it'd be nice to have one more from them.

Also also, Wire did some recordings with Steve Albini in the early 2000s. All involved said the results were poor, but still …

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The stuff the Beach Boys did with Charles Manson.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 9:23am
The stuff the Beach Boys did with Charles Manson.
I have to think the chances of those tapes ever seeing the light of day to be about 0.00%!

That said - Steve Desper - who engineered the sessions - claimed they recorded some good songs.

I wish Dennis had been able to finish his Bambu LP. Pacific Ocean Blue was so fantastic.

I do not ever want to hear Mike Love's unreleased "First Love" or "Country Love" LP's, however! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble