Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 5:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 4:49pm
Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 4:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 4:35pm
Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 4:21pm

I get that with the singles chart but for a band to be financially viable they have to shift some units. The fact that all of XTC except Andy had to take "normal" jobs outside of the band is a bit sad really. I would never expect them to shift U2-style units, but that is a poor showing for one of (imo) the UK's greatest ever bands.
Except that living off record sales alone is mostly a no-go because of how massively imbalanced the record industry was/is in terms of who gets the money. Most bands generate their real income from touring and, if they're lucky, licensing, which, well, was ruled out before long with XTC.
I've read that most bands didn't make much money from touring back in the day, it was all about the record sales. They were prepared to take a loss on touring to publicize their latest record. It's obviously the opposite now...
Nope, the inverse. A bit dated (but appropriate to the time period we're talking about), but Steve Albini's rant is still worth a read: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music
That does seem a bit of a cynical rant and I'm not sure of how totally true it is, no two bands will be in the same situation. I have read of load of instances of bands making losses on tour. A lot even charged support bands to play, such were the frugal returns for the main act.
Other analyses I've read largely support what Albini was saying. It's not like touring was a guaranteed windfall, but there was a greater share of more potential income than in sales. For most bands, it's just wretched.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 5:14pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Except that living off record sales alone is mostly a no-go because of how massively imbalanced the record industry was/is in terms of who gets the money. Most bands generate their real income from touring and, if they're lucky, licensing, which, well, was ruled out before long with XTC.
I've read that most bands didn't make much money from touring back in the day, it was all about the record sales. They were prepared to take a loss on touring to publicize their latest record. It's obviously the opposite now...
Nope, the inverse. A bit dated (but appropriate to the time period we're talking about), but Steve Albini's rant is still worth a read: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music
That does seem a bit of a cynical rant and I'm not sure of how totally true it is, no two bands will be in the same situation. I have read of load of instances of bands making losses on tour. A lot even charged support bands to play, such were the frugal returns for the main act.
Other analyses I've read largely support what Albini was saying. It's not like touring was a guaranteed windfall, but there was a greater share of more potential income than in sales. For most bands, it's just wretched.
Maybe there's a US/UK divide going on, North America is a larger territory and the pickings might be richer. But yeah, it's shame so many bands are ripped off, the musical landscape could be so much different if bands had been treat properly back in the day.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 5:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 5:14pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Maybe there's a US/UK divide going on, North America is a larger territory and the pickings might be richer. But yeah, it's shame so many bands are ripped off, the musical landscape could be so much different if bands had been treat properly back in the day.
That's another big factor—the geographical size and, related, the degree of centralization in the UK. One of my favourite bits of underlying rock stories is about why UK bands succeeded in the US in the early 80s on a level not seen since Beatlemania. Because of the BBC's tight control over the radio, bands had to be more creative to get exposure, so music videos developed sooner than in the US. The American radio market was a lot more open, more regional, so bands had a greater chance of sneaking in. When MTV started up, there weren't many videos available and most were from the UK. And even after that, the UK had more budgetary momentum for making videos compared to the US. So Duran Duran's breakout in America is in no small part due to the respective nature of each nation's radio stations.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I remember hearing from a member of Man Or Astroman around 1999 that the biggest income generator for them was selling merch on tour.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 6:24pm
I remember hearing from a member of Man Or Astroman around 1999 that the biggest income generator for them was selling merch on tour.
Yup. The profit margin on merch is easily greater than any other aspect. If you want to support those indie bands, kids, buy the tour shirt. Things may have changed now with stuff like Bandcamp, but for the vast majority of bands, pre-internet, the records almost acted as loss leaders. Indentured slavery is only a slight exaggeration to describe the standard contract.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 4:17pm
Heston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 3:49pm
Unbelievable but XTC's 7 albums after English Settlement spent a grand total of 15 weeks on the UK chart, none getting higher than 28. Skylarking incredibly only got to number 90. They have to be the most under appreciated band the UK has ever produced.
Reason #67 glabzillion to ignore the charts as indicative of anything meaningful. Or, at least, that something not charting says nothing whatsoever about quality.
I get that with the singles chart but for a band to be financially viable they have to shift some units. The fact that all of XTC except Andy had to take "normal" jobs outside of the band is a bit sad really. I would never expect them to shift U2-style units, but that is a poor showing for one of (imo) the UK's greatest ever bands.
You are correct and is why they often flogged their own T shirts and boots outside the gigs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yes plenty of bands made a loss at the touring game. No band has the same contract with their respective record companies. Some were losing money on equiptment hire alone. Obviously once Andy got stage fright that route was forever closed off to the band anyway.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 3:52am
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yes plenty of bands made a loss at the touring game. No band has the same contract with their respective record companies. Some were losing money on equiptment hire alone. Obviously once Andy got stage fright that route was forever closed off to the band anyway.
I imagine most bands in that situation only made money on tour through merch sales.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JoseUnidos wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I imagine most bands in that situation only made money on tour through merch sales.
Probably more true with bands nowadays but back in the 70s merch sales were much smaller. I remember seeing bands where they had just the one t shirt design and a programme on sales. These days bands have loads of designs to sell.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 12:56pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Probably more true with bands nowadays but back in the 70s merch sales were much smaller. I remember seeing bands where they had just the one t shirt design and a programme on sales. These days bands have loads of designs to sell.
Yes but do the bands still own them or is it part of the corporate package?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 5:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 12:56pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yes but do the bands still own them or is it part of the corporate package?
Who knows regards the bigger acts. But most of the group's I see like most of the old punk bands (Wire) ;) have their own merch set up. Where they do as much trade online as at gigs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Here's a question. How many good songs have you heard over a store's in house music system. I'm talking grocery and department stores not any store that is musically related in anyway.

I heard one of those awful recent Elton John songs last night and couldn't get out of the store fast enough.

the local hippie store will have some good music sometimes but employees are picking those. And the hardware store I go to usually has a local classic rock radio station playing and Ill catch CCR or something but I dont count that.

Usually its some Phil Collins, Billy JoeL kind of crap.

I think the best thing I ever heard was Maria by Blondie.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 10:20am
Here's a question. How many good songs have you heard over a store's in house music system. I'm talking grocery and department stores not any store that is musically related in anyway.

I heard one of those awful recent Elton John songs last night and couldn't get out of the store fast enough.

the local hippie store will have some good music sometimes but employees are picking those. And the hardware store I go to usually has a local classic rock radio station playing and Ill catch CCR or something but I dont count that.

Our local Whole Foods often plays “Dad Cool” band’s like the Clash, Devo, Blondie, Elvis Costello, etc.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 10:32am
revbob wrote:

Our local Whole Foods often plays “Dad Cool” band’s like the Clash, Devo, Blondie, Elvis Costello, etc.
So is that controlled by the local staff or is that their corporate thing? No Whole Foods in these parts. We have H(W)ealthy Living which is sort of a regional equivalent I think.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:

My grocery store's soundtrack is a generic round-up of pop hits from the 80s. Phil Collins, Billy Joel, the Police, Rod Stewart. The range is appalling to tolerable. If I'm shopping solo, I'll often have my headphones with me to block it out.