Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 2:53pm
My question is for people to come up with alternate "most perfect moments," whether it's a song, album, performance, or year. As always, show your work.
Okay, thought about this. This is obvious, but "That's All Right" by Elvis. It exploded everything and propelled rock and roll as we know it. Dangerous, rocking, and sexy. That's All Right still feels both historic and timeless when you listen to it (and people still listen to it, for pleasure, which is wild for a music that theoretically was designed to be disposable). Somehow Elvis channeled the subconscious tensions of America and sublimated it into a single that literally changed the course of music. Incredible.
There's definite appeal there because it has that figurative spark aspect. A couple people hear it at the end of a frustrating evening of running thru songs, and then realize there's something there and record it. Then the acetate is sent to be played on Dewey Phillips' radio show, where who knows how many listeners—a few hundred?—bombard him with phone calls to play it over and over. The number of people involved is stupidly small. Which could be used as a criticism—the significance rests on the assessment of a small number of people during a relatively short period of time—but there's such a romance to the story. Anything worthwhile needs a compelling origin myth, and rock n roll got one right there.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:28pm
There's definite appeal there because it has that figurative spark aspect. A couple people hear it at the end of a frustrating evening of running thru songs, and then realize there's something there and record it. Then the acetate is sent to be played on Dewey Phillips' radio show, where who knows how many listeners—a few hundred?—bombard him with phone calls to play it over and over. The number of people involved is stupidly small. Which could be used as a criticism—the significance rests on the assessment of a small number of people during a relatively short period of time—but there's such a romance to the story. Anything worthwhile needs a compelling origin myth, and rock n roll got one right there.
This all also applies to "Do the Clam" btw :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I assume you meant to say "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:37pm
Incredible how many perfect moments Elvis had in him.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:37pm
Incredible how many perfect moments Elvis had in him.
An old friend who was an Elvis fan, we'd get together to drink and watch Elvis movies, and whenever he did something Elvis-y, we were obliged to yell, "Yay Elvis!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Nobody is going to agree with me on this, but everything about the Depeche Mode song "Wrong" is perfect. I love it so much because it was made later in their career, it's one of Martin Gore's darkest songs (and that says a lot) and the video is probably the most chilling thing I have ever seen. I also love the crack/vocal fry in Dave's voice when the first verse starts.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 3:00pm
My offering: The Sex Pistols release "God Save the Queen," a song about marginalization, vengeance, and liberation, with a sound that matches that snarl. And it does what rock music is supposed to do—scare the fuck out of the people in charge and energize the young and alienated. So scary that the charts were rigged to deny it the #1 spot during the Jubilee. It fulfills everything that rock music promised and still sends a chill up my spine when I hear it.
On the flip side of that I have always been moved by Rotten’s “do you ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated” mike drop at the Winterland to end the Pistols. Perfect piece of RnR.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Do the Clam is incredible. 👺

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My offering: The Sex Pistols release "God Save the Queen," a song about marginalization, vengeance, and liberation, with a sound that matches that snarl. And it does what rock music is supposed to do—scare the fuck out of the people in charge and energize the young and alienated. So scary that the charts were rigged to deny it the #1 spot during the Jubilee. It fulfills everything that rock music promised and still sends a chill up my spine when I hear it.
On the flip side of that I have always been moved by Rotten’s “do you ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated” mike drop at the Winterland to end the Pistols. Perfect piece of RnR.
I did a lecture on post-Watergate 70s America that began with that clip and ended with Reagan asking in 1980 if Americans believed they were better off than four years ago. It's the same question searching for the same answer: yes, we've been fucked over. It captures the root nature of punk and hip hop, that understanding, deep down, that things could and should be better. Man, as much as Lydon annoys and disappoints me now when he opens his yap, from 76 to 80 or 81 his voice mattered.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 4:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I did a lecture on post-Watergate 70s America that began with that clip and ended with Reagan asking in 1980 if Americans believed they were better off than four years ago. It's the same question searching for the same answer: yes, we've been fucked over. It captures the root nature of punk and hip hop, that understanding, deep down, that things could and should be better. Man, as much as Lydon annoys and disappoints me now when he opens his yap, from 76 to 80 or 81 his voice mattered.
My guitarist started getting exasperated with my opinion on life and said "under every cynic is a disappointed idealist." To which I replied that I never said that I wasn't both of those things. That shut him up good and proper (which was a great thing for me).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My guitarist started getting exasperated with my opinion on life and said "under every cynic is a disappointed idealist." To which I replied that I never said that I wasn't both of those things. That shut him up good and proper (which was a great thing for me).
So he meant it as an insult? That's … strange.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:16pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think he was trying to say that there may be something behind my cynicism that I wasn't consciously aware of. Not so much an insult as something like "haha you're not as dark as you like to think you are."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I think he was trying to say that there may be something behind my cynicism that I wasn't consciously aware of. Not so much an insult as something like "haha you're not as dark as you like to think you are."
Chop off one of his fingers with a meat cleaver and let him mull over your character.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:38pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Chop off one of his fingers with a meat cleaver and let him mull over your character.
I'll start with the pinkie.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 6:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:38pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'll start with the pinkie.
You'll be a rock n roll god.