Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
29 May 2018, 9:18pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
29 May 2018, 9:05pm
Heston wrote:
29 May 2018, 8:50pm
Wolter wrote:
29 May 2018, 5:51pm
My favorite Stones album is their 60s singles after they started actually playing pop music.
Wolston Manor is open for business again this summer.
What, after playing all that horrible negro music early on? :twitch:
I don’t care for their blues covers. I don’t doubt they’re decent players. I just find 90% of electric blues played by white Englishmen in the 60s to be kind of dull.

I really don’t want to have a debate though. This is personal taste and you’re not going to convince me otherwise.
I can't stand the blues as Elton John once nearly said.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
My favorite Stones album is their 60s singles after they started actually playing pop music.
I don’t care for their blues covers. I don’t doubt they’re decent players. I just find 90% of electric blues played by white Englishmen in the 60s to be kind of dull.

I really don’t want to have a debate though. This is personal taste and you’re not going to convince me otherwise.
It's interesting about the 60's bands and their blues covers/versions I too find most of the Stones versions boring. However when i listen to The Kinks covering "Milk Cow Blues" I think that it rocks. Then when we get to Dr. Feelgood and Wilko kicking them songs into life I love it. The Pretty Things rocked up some good stuff also. The Stones are fairly pedestrian by comparison. Fuck another thing the 60's bands had it bloody easy when it came to putting out albums when the majority of tracks were covers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
29 May 2018, 9:42pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I can't stand the blues as Elton John once nearly said.
I guess that why we call you the Hes. Said Marky Dread one day.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2018, 9:49pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:

It's interesting about the 60's bands and their blues covers/versions I too find most of the Stones versions boring. However when i listen to The Kinks covering "Milk Cow Blues" I think that it rocks. Then when we get to Dr. Feelgood and Wilko kicking them songs into life I love it. The Pretty Things rocked up some good stuff also. The Stones are fairly pedestrian by comparison. Fuck another thing the 60's bands had it bloody easy when it came to putting out albums when the majority of tracks were covers.
Those jerkass Beatles had to screw it up for everyone.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
29 May 2018, 10:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2018, 9:49pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Those jerkass Beatles had to screw it up for everyone.
:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Zep’s Blues covers were pretty good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
29 May 2018, 11:53pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:

(They’re in the 10%, which sucks because they were such thieving bastards)
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
29 May 2018, 11:58pm
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

I agree with your opinion about English electric blues...but the 10% that are decent are pretty decent. When I look at the Stones early catalog - I actually prefer their more early rock and R&B covers. Out of our Heads (UK) is a great - somewhat overlooked early recording and while still more than half of it is covers - Larry Williams, Don Covay, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, Solomon Burke. I like those covers better than when they try and get down and dirty with the blues.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

An interesting aside about the blues. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and about 30 miles north is a small town called Grafton that sits on the Milwaukee River. There was a company based in Grafton called the Wisconsin Chair Company and they had a factory directly on the bank of the river. The river actually powered the factory. They made furniture - including phonograph cabinets. To boost sales of phonographs - the company got into the recording business - releasing a various assortment of musical styles with little success. In 1922, their in house record label - Paramount Records - began releasing race records. They would send scouts down south to find talent and then bring the artists north to record in their crude Grafton studio: Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charley Patton, Blind Blake, Ma Rainey, Skip James, and on and on. The 78's that were recorded in this small Wisconsin town have now become some of the most rare and culturally important recordings in American history.

Legend has it that when the factory closed down during the Depression - disgruntled employees took all of the extra inventory (as well as the metal stampers) and tossed them into the river. Over the years - collectors have actually combed the river without success (it is wide and shallow in Grafton, but it moves fast).

I finally drove up there last summer. I had an afternoon to myself and I wanted to check out what was left. I took the back way - trying to only take roads that would have existed in the 1920's. Most of the artists stayed in Milwaukee and would then be driven to Grafton to record. Not much is left of the factory - just a historical marker and a few bits of foundation.

I've always just always found it so interesting that all of this happened so close to my hometown. It's such an unlikely setting. Milwaukee had a strong African-American community in the 1920's - but Grafton was - and is - a small town.

Anyway - back to the discussion... :)

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 May 2018, 10:44am
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

I agree with your opinion about English electric blues...but the 10% that are decent are pretty decent. When I look at the Stones early catalog - I actually prefer their more early rock and R&B covers. Out of our Heads (UK) is a great - somewhat overlooked early recording and while still more than half of it is covers - Larry Williams, Don Covay, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, Solomon Burke. I like those covers better than when they try and get down and dirty with the blues.
Most Stones covers don't do much for me, but their soul covers are oddly appealing to me: Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Just My Imagination, That's How Strong My Love Is. Which is ironic because Mick's voice is quite unsouful.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
30 May 2018, 11:04am
WestwayKid wrote:
30 May 2018, 10:44am
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Most Stones covers don't do much for me, but their soul covers are oddly appealing to me: Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Just My Imagination, That's How Strong My Love Is. Which is ironic because Mick's voice is quite unsouful.

You know what? My favourite Stones cover version is this one...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Question of the week: you could banish one musician/band to The Lost Island of Horrible Music where they would spend an eternity being punished for their crimes against music...who would it be?

I'm not prepared to answer yet - so many possibilities... :mrgreen:

PS - Describe why you would banish them in one sentence or less.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Clapton, for being a racist and for applying his talent to making exceedingly boring music.

Also Kory, for self-evident reasons.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 7:52am
Clapton, for being a racist and for applying his talent to making exceedingly boring music.

Clapton is Dog!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 7:52am

I’m gonna co-sign.