Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
motorsmell
Junco Partner

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by motorsmell »

oliver wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 7:33pm
motorsmell wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 5:47pm
If you make music for anyone other then yourself you become the shite that's paraded as "Punk radicalism" on BBC 6...my band segrëgates made music like Motorhead because I fucking love Motorhead...I knew we would get the copycat commentary...but that was the point....we did it because we wanted to and not because it was the flavour of the month...
I just checked out Sands of Time and it's great!
Cheers, that's the B side to Preach to me.... available on red vinyl! Hahaha

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I've quoted this before, but it's a huge lever that turns my thinking about this stuff. Phil Chevron once said to me (and all the other people who were posting on the Pogues forum at the time) "Other people's opinion of my work is none of my business." I think that's a good philosophy around it, but of course it had implicit the idea that other people will consume the work.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The thing about requiring an audience is once you have one you need to sustain it. But the thought that artists making music just solely for that audience doesn't sit right with me. Better to fail producing something you love and are proud of than churning out something just for the sake of appeasing the crowd.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 12:27pm
The thing about requiring an audience is once you have one you need to sustain it. But the thought that artists making music just solely for that audience doesn't sit right with me. Better to fail producing something you love and are proud of than churning out something just for the sake of appeasing the crowd.
Hello,

These ideas come up in my classes frequently. You can be both intriniscally and extrinsically motivated. The extrinsic motivation should be informational rather than controlling. It's how you blend and balance the two.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 12:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 12:27pm
Hello,

These ideas come up in my classes frequently. You can be both intriniscally and extrinsically motivated. The extrinsic motivation should be informational rather than controlling. It's how you blend and balance the two.
Yeah I genuinely can see both sides. I feel new young artists should be pleasing themselves at what they choose to play. But the established artist will feel compelled to play a style of music that keeps bread on the table. That's why I admired The Clash so much. Punk in spirit but brave enough to tackle many genres of music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 11:49am
I've quoted this before, but it's a huge lever that turns my thinking about this stuff. Phil Chevron once said to me (and all the other people who were posting on the Pogues forum at the time) "Other people's opinion of my work is none of my business." I think that's a good philosophy around it, but of course it had implicit the idea that other people will consume the work.
I like this because it implies more of a respectful distance than, say, disdain.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I wonder what people think when it's a band previously known for greatness that just releases absolute, empirically shitty music (i.e. Kokomo) vs. just doing something in a different genre that's decent (like EC).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 10:39am
I wonder what people think when it's a band previously known for greatness that just releases absolute, empirically shitty music (i.e. Kokomo) vs. just doing something in a different genre that's decent (like EC).
Yeah, the beach boys are actually a good case study here. They released an 11 minute disco version of an old song of there's! It was shit! It was obvious trend chasing that they had no clue what to do with. I think it's fair for an audience to criticize that kind of shit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 10:56am
JennyB wrote:
Yeah, the beach boys are actually a good case study here. They released an 11 minute disco version of an old song of there's! It was shit! It was obvious trend chasing that they had no clue what to do with. I think it's fair for an audience to criticize that kind of shit.
But, just to extend the conversation, how do we know it was trend chasing as opposed to curiosity (what would it sound like if we took an old song and applied it to this approach?)? Are we more tolerant when it's a "sincere" attempt that fails? That is, do we care mostly about "what's in their heart" rather than the results?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 11:38am
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
But, just to extend the conversation, how do we know it was trend chasing as opposed to curiosity (what would it sound like if we took an old song and applied it to this approach?)? Are we more tolerant when it's a "sincere" attempt that fails? That is, do we care mostly about "what's in their heart" rather than the results?
Surely it must be down to the execution and what actually works.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 5:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I dunno. Anecdotally, I'd say we tend to judge more harshly records that we think are made as cash-ins rather than those that are more sincere flops, even if the results are equally craptastic. We aren't wholly invested in aesthetics, but do apply some politics or sociology or psychology to it all.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

In that very specific case it’s very obvious in hindsight what The Beach Boys were doing. And I suspect in the time it happened it was also, because by the late 70s it became very clear that the financial success of 15 Big Ones and that one Greatest Hits (Endless Summer, I think) versus the failure of the personal, left field music of “Love You” had put one Michael Love in the drivers’ seat for the duration.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

As a follow up, I especially believe it would’ve seemed more like genuine curiosity if they had kept exploring the form instead of it clearly being a one off.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 5:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I dunno. Anecdotally, I'd say we tend to judge more harshly records that we think are made as cash-ins rather than those that are more sincere flops, even if the results are equally craptastic. We aren't wholly invested in aesthetics, but do apply some politics or sociology or psychology to it all.
There were an awful lot of bands that were accused of jumping on the punk bandwagon that made some fantastic records. Personally I couldn't care less if someone is cashing in on the latest trend as long as the song is good. Plastic Bertrand springs instantly to mind.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 6:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 5:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

There were an awful lot of bands that were accused of jumping on the punk bandwagon that made some fantastic records. Personally I couldn't care less if someone is cashing in on the latest trend as long as the song is good. Plastic Bertrand springs instantly to mind.
But we're talking about shitty records here. Are we more forgiving of shitty records that were made for sincere reasons?