Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparked by CK's citing Gang of Four as a band he treats "purely"—meaning, only the complete "classic" line-up captures the essence of the group—which others do you got in that realm? And, to make it harder, stick only to bands that did change line-ups and kept at it, but it never seemed right to you (that is, you don't get to pick the Beatles because the classic line-up [sorry Pete] was the only line-up).

A few obvious ones to throw out there are The Who, Van Halen, and Dead Kennedys (tho the latter more a self-tribute band now than a fully active group).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 1:01am
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 10:16pm
revbob wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 9:50pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 6:04pm
My usual grocery store (huge) plays I don't know what - sometimes a snippet of something I know will come on but the general din and disinterest blocks it out. But a couple years ago I heard "It's Only Rock n' Roll" come on and it was gray to technicolor. I locked in, felt a bit of swagger coming on, looked around to see if anyone else had noticed... sure enough, a gorgeous black woman with dreads was moving her hips as she checked out something in the ice cream freezer (yeah, I checked later). We also locked eyes briefly and she shook her head and body quickly and grinned (to me) devilishly. (unfortunately I saw a ring on her finger :disshame: ). Some music you just can't make muzak out of. It will come to the fore.
Wouldn't it be nice if you both could act on that moment without it being bigger than that?
What do you mean? (genuine question, man. Not playing dumb or trying to be a prick, etc.)
I'm thinking he means a quick bit of slap and tickle up the alley
I couldn't have put it in such eloquent terms but yeah that. There seemed to be a mutual attraction perhaps from how you described it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 10:36am
Sparked by CK's citing Gang of Four as a band he treats "purely"—meaning, only the complete "classic" line-up captures the essence of the group—which others do you got in that realm? And, to make it harder, stick only to bands that did change line-ups and kept at it, but it never seemed right to you (that is, you don't get to pick the Beatles because the classic line-up [sorry Pete] was the only line-up).

A few obvious ones to throw out there are The Who, Van Halen, and Dead Kennedys (tho the latter more a self-tribute band now than a fully active group).
Those 3 obviously although I don't give a shit about VH. I'd add Black Sabbath for sure and to some extent AC/DC. Bad Brains without HR on vocals. The Clash obviously. Maybe its just me but Revolting Cocks without Al Jourgensen doesn't seem right. The Misfits, the Pogues.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 10:51am
The Clash obviously.
Is it? No Topper on the first album, and I don't think we regard the post-Topper shows as a false Clash.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 11:04am
revbob wrote:
The Clash obviously.
Is it? No Topper on the first album, and I don't think we regard the post-Topper shows as a false Clash.
Death to False Clash!!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 11:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 11:04am
revbob wrote:
The Clash obviously.
Death to False Clash!!!
Where were you on EET Week when the revisionists were out in force?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I have derived some enjoyment from the first Dio Sabbath album, but I do not in any way consider it actual Sabbath.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 11:37am
I have derived some enjoyment from the first Dio Sabbath album, but I do not in any way consider it actual Sabbath.
Yeah I can agree with that. Unfortunately it didn't stop there though. I'd also argue that losing Bill Ward and Geezer eventually was equally bad. Ive really come to love Ward's drumming over the years.

I also think that in this case and many others pressure from record companies leads to this as opposed to the creation of a new band.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 10:36am

The bands I get purist about are usually in the category I just made up called "sound sculptors." Meaning a unique sound greater than the sum of the parts. So Who, Zep, VH, and the Sabs from hard rock, for sure. PostPunk I get sniffy over Go4, Wire, New Order, Bow Wow Wow off the top of my head. REM were useless after Berry quit. All of the post 1981 Specials iterations I have no interest in. Bad Brains without HR, DKs without Jello, forget it. Black Flag post-Chuck, no thank you. Siouxsie solo is pure cabaret.

Come to think of it, Mission of Burma post-Swope even feels a bit pseud.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Also, Simple Minds got a bit pompous when Mel Gaynor joined but didn't really go total cornball until Derek Forbes quit. Their crucial "Roxy goes Krautrock" phase 79-81 was the full original lineup.

Oh, another one I get purist about: Big Audio Dynamite.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Oh yeah. The Who definitely fit the bill.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 10:41am
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 6:04pm
My usual grocery store (huge) plays I don't know what - sometimes a snippet of something I know will come on but the general din and disinterest blocks it out. But a couple years ago I heard "It's Only Rock n' Roll" come on and it was gray to technicolor. I locked in, felt a bit of swagger coming on, looked around to see if anyone else had noticed... sure enough, a gorgeous black woman with dreads was moving her hips as she checked out something in the ice cream freezer (yeah, I checked later). We also locked eyes briefly and she shook her head and body quickly and grinned (to me) devilishly. (unfortunately I saw a ring on her finger :disshame: ). Some music you just can't make muzak out of. It will come to the fore.
Wouldn't it be nice if you both could act on that moment without it being bigger than that?
What do you mean? (genuine question, man. Not playing dumb or trying to be a prick, etc.)
I couldn't have put it in such eloquent terms but yeah that. There seemed to be a mutual attraction perhaps from how you described it.
Oh OK. I guess I was trying point out how hearing something in a very different context or setting can sometimes elevate the power or vibe of the song, even an oft-heard moldie-oldie. Maybe a bad example not germane to the topic; could be an interesting subject to address though? (plus, I think she was probably married. Had a ring and no way she was single. But I've a history of black girls digging my dopey white Irish ass, fuck knows why :approve: ).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

muppet hi fi wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 11:04pm
revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 10:41am
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:

Oh OK. I guess I was trying point out how hearing something in a very different context or setting can sometimes elevate the power or vibe of the song, even an oft-heard moldie-oldie. Maybe a bad example not germane to the topic; could be an interesting subject to address though? (plus, I think she was probably married. Had a ring and no way she was single. But I've a history of black girls digging my dopey white Irish ass, fuck knows why :approve: ).
Yes I agree with your comment about hearing a song in a random place elevating its power / impact.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

What about the Bob-less Replacements?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 1:59am
What about the Bob-less Replacements?
Still a great band even with the loss of such a character. One of the band's that still managed to be awesome even with loss of a key member.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia