Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 May 2019, 11:39am
I heard someone listening to The Doors last weekend and was struck by how awful I know find them. Crap poetry set to crap music. Yes - they are held up as absolute masters of rock. I'm certain the cult of Jim Morrison is largely responsible for that. He's seen by many as a cool leather pants wearing rebel who was more hip poet than rock singer. The reality - at least in my opinion - is that he was an obnoxious drunk and his "poetry" was 10th grade high school English class garbage. Yes, I went through my Doors phase when I was about 12-13, but I'm thankful I grew out of it. I will admit (however) that LA Woman is pretty good jam.
Riders on the Storm is great and a handful of other tracks. Break on Through is cool. Buy hey each to their own.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 12:46pm
BitterTom wrote:
28 May 2019, 12:42pm
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Oasis
Blur

I'm sure more will come to me.
Blur made some great songs. How much Floyd have you heard? The early stuff with Syd is exceptional.
Blur made a handful of good tracks I agree but the majority of their album tracks were poor. The ratio of crap to good is too high for me to say they are anything else but overrated. As for Pink Floyd, ok I haven't listened as extensively I'll give you that. Listened many times to all of Echoes (another favourites of my dad's) and a handful of other tracks. Great Gig in the Sky is great, couldn't get into anything else at all. Given their reputation and I only like 1 track from hearing their best of, they have to be overrated for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
28 May 2019, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Oasis
Blur

Blur made some great songs. How much Floyd have you heard? The early stuff with Syd is exceptional.
Blur made a handful of good tracks I agree but the majority of their album tracks were poor. The ratio of crap to good is too high for me to say they are anything else but overrated. As for Pink Floyd, ok I haven't listened as extensively I'll give you that. Listened many times to all of Echoes (another favourites of my dad's) and a handful of other tracks. Great Gig in the Sky is great, couldn't get into anything else at all. Given their reputation and I only like 1 track from hearing their best of, they have to be overrated for me.
Some bands take a while to get into. I used to dismiss a lot of stuff out of hand but over the years you learn to appreciate things differently. I'm not digging at you or your age you are entitled to your view/opinion as much as the next guy. Blur were another band I got into later and I have to disagree about their albums as I prefer mostly album tracks over their singles.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kind of a tricky question i think. I'm not into the Doors much either, but i'm not so sure exactly how they are rated in the pantheon to being with. Same with Blur. I can say with confidence that Ed Sheeran is vastly overrated as are U2, the waves of adulation that come their way are simply in no way commensurate with the quality of their output. With more reluctance i think i'd have to say the same for Springsteen, not that i dont like or appreciate him, i just find myself wondering what a lot of the fuss is about when listening to an awful lot of his albums, the first 4 or 5 aside.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:10pm
Kind of a tricky question i think. I'm not into the Doors much either, but i'm not so sure exactly how they are rated in the pantheon to being with. Same with Blur. I can say with confidence that Ed Sheeran is vastly overrated as are U2, the waves of adulation that come their way are simply in no way commensurate with the quality of their output. With more reluctance i think i'd have to say the same for Springsteen, not that i dont like or appreciate him, i just find myself wondering what a lot of the fuss is about when listening to an awful lot of his albums, the first 4 or 5 aside.
Those first few U2 albums are really good. The later stuff has a couple of really stong songs but overall they disappoint. All this separating the music from the artist goes without saying.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:06pm
BitterTom wrote:
28 May 2019, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Oasis
Blur

Some bands take a while to get into. I used to dismiss a lot of stuff out of hand but over the years you learn to appreciate things differently. I'm not digging at you or your age you are entitled to your view/opinion as much as the next guy. Blur were another band I got into later and I have to disagree about their albums as I prefer mostly album tracks over their singles.
I agree some things take longer to get into but after hearing a number of their albums, it didn't leave me with a desire to keep listening if you get me.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:13pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Those first few U2 albums are really good. The later stuff has a couple of really stong songs but overall they disappoint. All this separating the music from the artist goes without saying.
I was a huge U2 fan right up to War. After that i like Achtung Baby and that's about it. Theres the Joshua Tree which has some good songs but doesn't merit its legendary reputation to my mind. But that is just my opinion. I just feel only the most blinkered of fans could speak up for a lot of the mediocrity they have been releasing over the past 15-20 years and more.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I was a huge U2 fan right up to War. After that i like Achtung Baby and that's about it. Theres the Joshua Tree which has some good songs but doesn't merit its legendary reputation to my mind. But that is just my opinion. I just feel only the most blinkered of fans could speak up for a lot of the mediocrity they have been releasing over the past 15-20 years and more.
I mean what's the impetus to be creative when people are going to fill out the stadium no matter what you release
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:33pm
I mean what's the impetus to be creative when people are going to fill out the stadium no matter what you release
Yet, you'd think that that kind of assured market (plus a gorillion dollars in the bank) would give them the freedom to be more creative. Whatever people think of Radiohead's music—and I ain't a fan of most of it after OKC—they took their mainstream success and ran the other way with it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Well, Pride (in the name of love) for one thing! But i suspect its probably more of a case of a band being 40 years on the go with no change in personnel and running out of creative juice. Actually i think they reached that point many moons ago, how many bands go more than, say, 15-20 years on the go and still retain the creative spark and impetus of their early years? Not many i would hazard a guess...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:38pm
Kory wrote:
Yet, you'd think that that kind of assured market (plus a gorillion dollars in the bank) would give them the freedom to be more creative. Whatever people think of Radiohead's music—and I ain't a fan of most of it after OKC—they took their mainstream success and ran the other way with it.
I don't think the money issue matters. Radiohead and U2 don't make so good music nowadays. Irrespective of the freedom money gives you I think most artists make their best work when they are up against things financially and have something worth saying.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Right, which is even more reason to dislike them. They are lazy.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:46pm
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Well, Pride (in the name of love) for one thing! But i suspect its probably more of a case of a band being 40 years on the go with no change in personnel and running out of creative juice. Actually i think they reached that point many moons ago, how many bands go more than, say, 15-20 years on the go and still retain the creative spark and impetus of their early years? Not many i would hazard a guess...
Simple answer is none. It's wrong for us to expect that but that doesn't mean there can't still be good music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:46pm
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, time to retire.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
28 May 2019, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Right, which is even more reason to dislike them. They are lazy.
Is that really the case Kory? I think a lot of their money goes into spectacular stage shows etc. Maybe if they put as much energy into the music as these big events we would get something better. I don't think it's simply a case of lazyness.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia