Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 877
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by coffeepotman » 16 Feb 2019, 10:38am

Well in rock and roll terms it goes back to Elvis raping Priscilla with her family's consent and Jerry Lee and his 12 year old cousin/wife. I wonder about the generations before that, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and that gang, they were probably just as bad.

coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 877
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by coffeepotman » 16 Feb 2019, 10:40am

That's true for the most part. I know loads of people younger than that that still get in. But restrictions are tighter now.


[/quote]

In the US you can't go anywhere without an ID, you can go to jail for not carrying identification

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40859
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread » 16 Feb 2019, 11:20am

coffeepotman wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 10:40am
That's true for the most part. I know loads of people younger than that that still get in. But restrictions are tighter now.

In the US you can't go anywhere without an ID, you can go to jail for not carrying identification
[/quote]

Yeah sorry should made it clearer I meant here in the UK. I've been a door man of night clubs / strip clubs in the past and I've seen all sorts of shit going on.
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17866
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton » 16 Feb 2019, 5:07pm

Tried to write this post several ways but difficult to explain and get the point across (or st least be able to justify it).
There is a difference between 2 wrongs and my overriding comment relating to all points is not saying either is ok.
But surely sleeping with an underage groupie in 1970’s is not the same as abusing prepubescent children. Likewise a 1970’s TV star touching a woman’s bum at a Xmas party doesn’t make him Jimmy Saville.
I don’t know where the line is drawn and either side isn’t ok but there is a line somewhere?

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4082
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germania

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Olaf » 16 Feb 2019, 5:29pm

If there's one thing The Clash taught me it's separating the artist from the art.

Or maybe it was Gottfried Benn.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2444
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by WestwayKid » 16 Feb 2019, 7:04pm

101Walterton wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 5:07pm
Tried to write this post several ways but difficult to explain and get the point across (or st least be able to justify it).
There is a difference between 2 wrongs and my overriding comment relating to all points is not saying either is ok.
But surely sleeping with an underage groupie in 1970’s is not the same as abusing prepubescent children. Likewise a 1970’s TV star touching a woman’s bum at a Xmas party doesn’t make him Jimmy Saville.
I don’t know where the line is drawn and either side isn’t ok but there is a line somewhere?
It is indeed difficult to explain. I've put a lot of thought into it since the whole Ryan Adams affair was exposed earlier this week. It's hard to say where the line is drawn because I think the line isn't static - it's moved throughout the decades. Where it was in 1979 is different than where it is in 2019. There are some things that have never been okay - such as Glitter or Saville. There are other things that seem very not okay today - but that probably was "okay" in the context of the times in which they happened. It's really hard to put into words. A rock star sleeping with a 14-year-old groupie today is bad. It will get your locked up and your career will be down the toilet. Adams is in trouble for sexting with a 14-year-old. I don't think it's ever okay for a grown man to sleep with a 14-year-old...but it has happened a lot in rock history - and I think it has to be looked at within the context of when it happened. I don't know. It really truly is hard to put into words because I don't want to come across like I condone it - I don't - but I'm trying to understand why it was accepted at one time without judging too harshly - if that makes sense???
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17866
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton » 16 Feb 2019, 7:21pm

Look at teen movies. Used to be a standard scene with the guy groping the girl in the drive-in movie and she is physically trying to force him off. Used to be seen as funny but today is seen as sexual assault

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 80464
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Feb 2019, 7:31pm

101Walterton wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 7:21pm
Look at teen movies. Used to be a standard scene with the guy groping the girl in the drive-in movie and she is physically trying to force him off. Used to be seen as funny but today is seen as sexual assault
"Your lips say no, but your eyes say yes."
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7919
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by revbob » 16 Feb 2019, 8:12pm

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 7:04pm


... I don't know. It really truly is hard to put into words because I don't want to come across like I condone it - I don't - but I'm trying to understand why it was accepted at one time without judging too harshly - if that makes sense???
I think we have advanced ever so slightly as a society. An incremental change perhaps but hopefully a part of a bigger change where everyone can respect each other and treat everyone equally.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40859
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread » 16 Feb 2019, 8:46pm

101Walterton wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 5:07pm
Tried to write this post several ways but difficult to explain and get the point across (or st least be able to justify it).
There is a difference between 2 wrongs and my overriding comment relating to all points is not saying either is ok.
But surely sleeping with an underage groupie in 1970’s is not the same as abusing prepubescent children. Likewise a 1970’s TV star touching a woman’s bum at a Xmas party doesn’t make him Jimmy Saville.
I don’t know where the line is drawn and either side isn’t ok but there is a line somewhere?
It's logical for decent minded people to say the crimes against innocent defenseless children is the worst of these crimes because they are and they sicken us to the pits of our stomachs. This is not to lessen other crimes in any way after all a crime is a crime. People should be held accountable for their actions. Because something happens during more promiscuous times the 60s/70s does not lessen the crime. If it were a priest abusing an alter boy back in the 70s or a rock star having sex with a minor neither will ever be acceptable just because of that's the the way things were back then. That simply doesn't cut it as there can be no excuses.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 80464
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Feb 2019, 8:53pm

revbob wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 8:12pm
WestwayKid wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 7:04pm


... I don't know. It really truly is hard to put into words because I don't want to come across like I condone it - I don't - but I'm trying to understand why it was accepted at one time without judging too harshly - if that makes sense???
I think we have advanced ever so slightly as a society. An incremental change perhaps but hopefully a part of a bigger change where everyone can respect each other and treat everyone equally.
Then again, MRAs, gamers, incels, and anyone who mouthbreaths about PC culture and SJWs. But, yes, there is some incremental improvement inasmuch as more men are conscious of these historic power imbalances and how they play out.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17866
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton » 16 Feb 2019, 10:40pm

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 8:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 5:07pm
Tried to write this post several ways but difficult to explain and get the point across (or st least be able to justify it).
There is a difference between 2 wrongs and my overriding comment relating to all points is not saying either is ok.
But surely sleeping with an underage groupie in 1970’s is not the same as abusing prepubescent children. Likewise a 1970’s TV star touching a woman’s bum at a Xmas party doesn’t make him Jimmy Saville.
I don’t know where the line is drawn and either side isn’t ok but there is a line somewhere?
It's logical for decent minded people to say the crimes against innocent defenseless children is the worst of these crimes because they are and they sicken us to the pits of our stomachs. This is not to lessen other crimes in any way after all a crime is a crime. People should be held accountable for their actions. Because something happens during more promiscuous times the 60s/70s does not lessen the crime. If it were a priest abusing an alter boy back in the 70s or a rock star having sex with a minor neither will ever be acceptable just because of that's the the way things were back then. That simply doesn't cut it as there can be no excuses.
I would still say a priest abusing an altar boy is different to a rock star having sex with a minor but agree with what you say a crime is a crime.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17866
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton » 16 Feb 2019, 10:43pm

101Walterton wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 10:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 8:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 5:07pm
Tried to write this post several ways but difficult to explain and get the point across (or st least be able to justify it).
There is a difference between 2 wrongs and my overriding comment relating to all points is not saying either is ok.
But surely sleeping with an underage groupie in 1970’s is not the same as abusing prepubescent children. Likewise a 1970’s TV star touching a woman’s bum at a Xmas party doesn’t make him Jimmy Saville.
I don’t know where the line is drawn and either side isn’t ok but there is a line somewhere?
It's logical for decent minded people to say the crimes against innocent defenseless children is the worst of these crimes because they are and they sicken us to the pits of our stomachs. This is not to lessen other crimes in any way after all a crime is a crime. People should be held accountable for their actions. Because something happens during more promiscuous times the 60s/70s does not lessen the crime. If it were a priest abusing an alter boy back in the 70s or a rock star having sex with a minor neither will ever be acceptable just because of that's the the way things were back then. That simply doesn't cut it as there can be no excuses.
I would still say a priest abusing an altar boy is different to a rock star having sex with a minor but agree with what you say a crime is a crime.
To clarify my point above I am not talking about a ‘rock star’ grooming a minor on the internet etc. I was relating it to the underage groupie scenario.

coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 877
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by coffeepotman » 16 Feb 2019, 11:02pm

This is such a charged topic, even conversation about it with my wife is difficult. A crime is a crime but what are crimes now were not seen as crimes then and that is wrong.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17866
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton » 16 Feb 2019, 11:16pm

I guess our views are formed by our own moral compass and reading through this thread it seems we are all pretty much in agreement which is understandable. Whether you agree it is wrong to listen to GG or a sample in an Oasis track or not is a minor (pun intended) side issue.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Heston and 7 guests