Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 12:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 7:06am
I would think going back to very early doo wop would not be far off. Earlier big band jazz groups tended to have names reflective of area they came from. The Ink Spots from early 30s are known as the fathers of doo wop and sold a ton of records, were also once known as the Percolating Puppies so i figure it was something they put some thought into. Though it possibly wasnt until the 50s when backing bands like the crickets and the comets were given recognition that it became a widespread practice. Just loose thoughts really.
Good insight, I have to listen to more doo wop.
I do too. As in you can never listen to enough. I love all those early vocal harmony groups, kind of half doo wop, half r n b like the delta rhythm boys, cathedral quartet. Frank Zappa actually recorded a doo wop album thats more fun than good, bit of doo wop in early beach boys as well.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:12pm
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I would think going back to very early doo wop would not be far off. Earlier big band jazz groups tended to have names reflective of area they came from. The Ink Spots from early 30s are known as the fathers of doo wop and sold a ton of records, were also once known as the Percolating Puppies so i figure it was something they put some thought into. Though it possibly wasnt until the 50s when backing bands like the crickets and the comets were given recognition that it became a widespread practice. Just loose thoughts really.
I do too. As in you can never listen to enough. I love all those early vocal harmony groups, kind of half doo wop, half r n b like the delta rhythm boys, cathedral quartet. Frank Zappa actually recorded a doo wop album thats more fun than good, bit of doo wop in early beach boys as well.
Is that the Ruben and the Jets one?
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Thats the one, listened to it a while back out of curiosity and cant say i was bowled over but would be willing to give it another try. Not very clued up on zappa to be honest, probably only time I've ever listened to him.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

there's recording of pre-fame zappa recording more "straight" doo wop, amongst other things. It's mostly not great, but kinda interesting.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:33pm
Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Thats the one, listened to it a while back out of curiosity and cant say i was bowled over but would be willing to give it another try. Not very clued up on zappa to be honest, probably only time I've ever listened to him.
I've really only heard Hot Rats and Joe's Garage. Really like the former, LOATHE the latter, so I'm sure there's some in-between stuff I might like.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I can't believe you aren't a heavy Zappa guy, Kory. He seems tailor made for you. If you like Hot Rats you should, first, check out the newly released Hot Rats Sessions and then I'd recommend just going through his albums in order (at least his 60s and 70s stuff). He went through so many different phases it's hard to pinpoint just one period you may like. If you want to skip around you may dig Zoot Allures, Waka/Jawaka and maybe something outside his usual canon like The Dub Room Special.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 4:32pm
I can't believe you aren't a heavy Zappa guy, Kory. He seems tailor made for you. If you like Hot Rats you should, first, check out the newly released Hot Rats Sessions and then I'd recommend just going through his albums in order (at least his 60s and 70s stuff). He went through so many different phases it's hard to pinpoint just one period you may like. If you want to skip around you may dig Zoot Allures, Waka/Jawaka and maybe something outside his usual canon like The Dub Room Special.
Zappa is a guy who I both love and am irritated by in equal measure, sometimes in the same album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter »

Oh and as far as the Zappa doo-wop album: there are two versions out there. The original version and the very out of place 80s re-recorded rhythm section version that was put out when it went on CD.

Zappa was kind of the original George Lucas.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
I didn't like Zappa until someone turned me on to Joe's Garage. I really like those recordings, but still find his catalog hard to dig into because it's so diverse. There is some stuff I really like, some stuff I don't like at all, and some in between.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Yeah, Joe's Garage poisoned me against him basically, I found it so infuriatingly bad. I'll get to the other stuff some day probably, but that album is a hard hill to climb over.