XTC

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

XTC

Post by 101Walterton »

Watched a great XTC documentary the other night. Interesting to hear that Andy Partridge’s crippling stage fright and anxiety which caused him to withdraw from live shows was actually caused by withdrawal from Valium addiction that he had been on since was 12!!!!!!
The final show when he walked off he had gone cold turkey but had no idea at the time that that was what caused his panic attack.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: XTC

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:28pm
Watched a great XTC documentary the other night. Interesting to hear that Andy Partridge’s crippling stage fright and anxiety which caused him to withdraw from live shows was actually caused by withdrawal from Valium addiction that he had been on since was 12!!!!!!
The final show when he walked off he had gone cold turkey but had no idea at the time that that was what caused his panic attack.
Yeah, I actually watched it again the other night. I think I first saw it about 18 months ago when it first came out. Apparently his Mum was pretty crazy which led to him ending up on it. The documentary was a great showcase for some of the little heard later songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:31pm
101Walterton wrote:
Yeah, I actually watched it again the other night. I think I first saw it about 18 months ago when it first came out. Apparently his Mum was pretty crazy which led to him ending up on it. The documentary was a great showcase for some of the little heard later songs.
I never knew they were so popular in US especially later, or was that inflated?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:33pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Inflated a bit. A fluke college hit with Dear God (originally a b-side) gave them a bit of traction but they were never big sellers.

Here's something that made me wince, their seven albums after English Settlement spent a total of 15 weeks on the UK charts between them. That's criminal for such a great band.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Inflated a bit. A fluke college hit with Dear God (originally a b-side) gave them a bit of traction but they were never big sellers.

Here's something that made me wince, their seven albums after English Settlement spent a total of 15 weeks on the UK charts between them. That's criminal for such a great band.
Yep it is, they must have been running at a loss especially considering how much time they spent in the studio?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:40pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yep it is, they must have been running at a loss especially considering how much time they spent in the studio?
I think the sales they had in America helped them stay afloat. Modest sales but a big pond. Andy still lives in a terraced house in Swindon.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yeah definitely were not that big in the US. Dear God was a radio and maybe MTV hit. But I'd say most people, myself included could not name another song of theirs.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

They had a pretty good of singles in the UK charts but they are one of those bands that everyone will know the songs but if you asked someone to name an XTC single they couldn’t (fans excluded).

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 9:44pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

I think the sales they had in America helped them stay afloat. Modest sales but a big pond. Andy still lives in a terraced house in Swindon.
Please excuse my Yankee ignorance - is that a good or bad thing?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 11:02pm
Yeah definitely were not that big in the US. Dear God was a radio and maybe MTV hit. But I'd say most people, myself included could not name another song of theirs.
They were “120 Minutes Famous” when I was a teen. Which means only the weirdos who watched 120 Minutes knew who they were
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 10:38am
revbob wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 11:02pm
They were “120 Minutes Famous” when I was a teen. Which means only the weirdos who watched 120 Minutes knew who they were
As one of those weirdos I was just made happy when this popped on the Sirius station I’m listening to.

Heston

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 10:18am
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Quite bad when you're one of England's greatest ever songwriters.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:05am
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah, the fact that his talent and output has resulted in the same outcome as if he’d just gone to work in a shop or something is kind of depressing.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:10am
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yeah, the fact that his talent and output has resulted in the same outcome as if he’d just gone to work in a shop or something is kind of depressing.
Dave Gregory and Colin Moulding both had to actually work when they were in XTC! Dave had a courier job or something, and I think Colin did some gardening.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:14am
Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:10am
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:

Dave Gregory and Colin Moulding both had to actually work when they were in XTC! Dave had a courier job or something, and I think Colin did some gardening.
It is unbelievable really. He is one of the great songwriters and when you look at the ridiculous amount of money people with a fraction of his talent are making nowadays but I guess he would say himself he didn’t do it for the money.