Inder wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 8:13pm
Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 3:08pm
Flex wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 2:25pm
Inder wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 2:16pm
There's a photo going around of Lydon in a MAGA shirt (which is a deep :rolleyes: — flashback to Chris's "Aren't We Naughty" Pistols toon in Showdown) that has a resulted in many people who should know better trotting out dumbass "tHeY WeRe jUsT a BoYbaNd" takes on Twitter, which is giving me a twitch.
yeah, lydon can be a shit now without having to have retroactive Bad Takes about the sex pistols
I don’t even bother to correct them anymore. It’s not even worth it. People have bought entirely into the Swindle.
People remarking "I don't get why people like the Sex Pistols when The Clash are right there" are making me cringe (in the classical sense).

Edit: someone wrote "Anarchy in the UK only added to misconceptions about anarchism". Time to add "sex pistols" to my mute list.
Lotta people who have never been part of a punk scene making a lot of broad stroke arguments about punk today, too.
Well I think we all know that punk was terrible music. Punks were terrible people.

How many different band's and artist's can be put under the term punk?

There was always a wide variety there that attracted me.

Yes people you can tarnish all with the same brush. But do it at your peril.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Inder »

Was listening to the MJ interview Dunster posted and noticed Nardwuar just posted a fun 2010 interview with Lydon:

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Inder wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 12:53am
Was listening to the MJ interview Dunster posted and noticed Nardwuar just posted a fun 2010 interview with Lydon:

Find him unlisteneable now. This from ten years ago is only just bearable. Such a shame as he could be really interesting if he carried some grace.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I truly believed in him, he did change my world but sadly he fell so tragically from grace and into not only a caricature of himself but just an old fool. Totally irrelevant for at least 20 years now. One redemption, he is retired and taking care of his wife, so there is a good man there, regardless of his political beliefs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 11:44am
I truly believed in him, he did change my world but sadly he fell so tragically from grace and into not only a caricature of himself but just an old fool. Totally irrelevant for at least 20 years now. One redemption, he is retired and taking care of his wife, so there is a good man there, regardless of his political beliefs
Yeah I agree with all this. He just portrays himself as being right all the time is that self righteous way of his. It gets boring listening to him waffling on. Still makes some some fun music with PiL but beyond that I can leave it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 1:29pm
coffeepotman wrote:
Yeah I agree with all this. He just portrays himself as being right all the time is that self righteous way of his. It gets boring listening to him waffling on. Still makes some some fun music with PiL but beyond that I can leave it.
I read how he looked after Ari Up’s children plus how he has looked after his wife. That must be incredibly difficult, I know how tough it was for my dad coping with my mum’s dementia, so I will give him huge credit for all that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 2:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
I read how he looked after Ari Up’s children plus how he has looked after his wife. That must be incredibly difficult, I know how tough it was for my dad coping with my mum’s dementia, so I will give him huge credit for all that.
Absolutely mate. I've no doubt that takes strength and courage. There's always been a real human side to John. But he gets too caught up in his own invention and his character. I'm sure John Lydon is a decent enough guy in private. His recent ramblings in support of Trump and wearing the MAGA stuff was disappointing to say the least.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 3:09pm
laxman wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 2:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Absolutely mate. I've no doubt that takes strength and courage. There's always been a real human side to John. But he gets too caught up in his own invention and his character. I'm sure John Lydon is a decent enough guy in private. His recent ramblings in support of Trump and wearing the MAGA stuff was disappointing to say the least.
Hello,

I don't follow his antics as much as others but John the person and John the performer seem to have grown farther apart over the years.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I wasn't aware of his wife's dementia, I too have more respect for him now for stepping up and doing the right thing.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 6:30pm
I wasn't aware of his wife's dementia, I too have more respect for him now for stepping up and doing the right thing.
Yeah, I don't think anyone could debate that he's a devoted family guy, whatever his politics.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Years ago I started to compile a complete list of studio sessions. Everything up through the Bollocks LP sessions with Chris Thomas in February 1977 is clear. It gets very muddy after that. I scoured the internet and read every book I could get my hands on to try and piece together the post-Lydon sessions, but eventually gave up. I came across my notes while cleaning off a USB drive and thought I'd put them out here to see if collectively we could fill in any blanks.

The Rio Session
January - February 1978
Producer: Steve Jones?
Studio: "The record was made in a church studio in Rio with the priest present, who seemed very happy."
Personnel: Ronald Biggs (vocals); Steve Jones (guitars/bass); Paul Cook (drums)
Tracks recorded:
a) Belsen Vos a Gassa
b) No One Is Innocent

The My Way Session
April 10, 1978
Producer: Claude Engel
Studio: Studio de la Grande Armee, Paris; overdubs Wessex Studios, London
Personnel: Sid Vicious (vocals); Claude Engle (guitars); Sauveur Mallia (bass); Pierre-Alain Dahan (drums); Steve Jones (guitar overdubs)
Tracks recorded:
a) My Way
Note: It appears Vicious was the only member to take part in this session. Jones overdubbed some guitar parts later back in London.

The Silly Thing Session
April-May 1978
Producer: Steve Jones?; Steve Lipson (engineer)
Studio: Regents Park Studios, London; overdubs Rockfield Studios, Wales
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/bass); Paul Cook (drums/vocals)
Tracks recorded:
a) Silly Thing (1)

The Rockfield Session
June 1978
Producer: Dave Goodman
Studio: Rockfield Studios, Wales
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/bass/vocals); Paul Cook (drums); Dave Goodman (bass)
Tracks recorded:
a) Silly Thing (1)
Note: Additional overdubs added to April/May Regents Park recording of the track.
b) Here We Go Again (1)

The Swindle Session
May - July 1978
Studio:
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/bass/vocals); Paul Cook (drums/vocals); Andy Allen (bass)
Tracks recorded:
a) Here We Go Again (2)
b) Here We Go Again (3)
c) Lonely Boy (1)
d) Lonely Boy (2)
e) Black Leather
f) Friggin' in the Riggin'
g) EMI (Film Version)
h) Something Else
i) C'mon Everybody

The '76 Rehearsal Tape Session
May - July 1978
Studio:
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars)
Tracks recorded:
a) Substitute
b) Don't Give Me No Lip
c) (I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone
d) Johnny B. Goode/Road Runner
e) Whatcha Gonna Do About It
Note: These were not original recordings, but 1976 "rehearsal" tracks recorded by Dave Goodman. They were dusted off & polished up for inclusion on the Rock 'n' Roll Swindle soundtrack.

The Audition Session
June - August 1978
Producer: Steve Jones?; Dave Goodman?
Studio: Rampart Studios, London
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/vocals); Paul Cook (drums); Dave Goodman (bass)
Tracks recorded:
a) The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle
Note: This track originally featured vocals by Steve Jones, but they were replaced by vocals recorded during a live audition.
b) Rock Around the Clock
Note: Lead vocals by Edward Tudor-Pole added at a later date.

The Final Session
March 1979
Producer: Steve Jones?; Bill Price (engineer)
Studio: Wessex Studios, London
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/vocals); Paul Cook (drums); Andy Allen (bass)
Tracks recorded:
a) Silly Thing (2)

Since I started on this project, a demo version of Belsen was a Gas with Lydon on vocal has surfaced. I'm curious to know when this was recorded. Was it attempted during the Bollocks session?

My assumption is that the Rio session was done at the behest of McLaren for the publicity (didn't he try and get Johnny to go down there, too?). The bulk of the remaining sessions appear to have been driven by the need for material for The Swindle soundtrack.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 5:55pm
Years ago I started to compile a complete list of studio sessions. Everything up through the Bollocks LP sessions with Chris Thomas in February 1977 is clear. It gets very muddy after that. I scoured the internet and read every book I could get my hands on to try and piece together the post-Lydon sessions, but eventually gave up. I came across my notes while cleaning off a USB drive and thought I'd put them out here to see if collectively we could fill in any blanks.

The Rio Session
January - February 1978
Studio: "The record was made in a church studio in Rio with the priest present, who seemed very happy."
Personnel: Ronald Biggs (vocals); Steve Jones (guitars/bass); Paul Cook (drums)
Tracks recorded:
a) Belsen Vos a Gassa
b) No One Is Innocent

The My Way Session
April 10, 1978
Producer: Claude Engel
Studio: Studio de la Grande Armee, Paris; overdubs Wessex Studios, London
Personnel: Sid Vicious (vocals); Claude Engle (guitars); Sauveur Mallia (bass); Pierre-Alain Dahan (drums); Steve Jones (guitar overdubs)
Tracks recorded:
a) My Way
Note: It appears Vicious was the only member to take part in this session. Jones overdubbed some guitar parts later back in London.

The Silly Thing Session
April-May 1978
Producer: Steve Jones?; Steve Lipson (engineer)
Studio: Regents Park Studios, London; overdubs Rockfield Studios, Wales
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/bass); Paul Cook (drums/vocals)
Tracks recorded:
a) Silly Thing (1)

The Rockfield Session
June 1978
Studio: Rockfield Studios, Wales
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/bass/vocals); Paul Cook (drums); Dave Goodman (bass)
Tracks recorded:
a) Silly Thing (1)
Note: Additional overdubs added to April/May Regents Park recording of the track.
b) Here We Go Again (1)

The Swindle Session
May - July 1978
Studio:
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/bass/vocals); Paul Cook (drums/vocals); Andy Allen (bass)
Tracks recorded:
a) Here We Go Again (2)
b) Here We Go Again (3)
c) Lonely Boy (1)
d) Lonely Boy (2)
e) Black Leather
f) Friggin' in the Riggin'
g) EMI (Film Version)
h) Something Else
i) C'mon Everybody

The '76 Rehearsal Tape Session
May - July 1978
Studio:
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars)
Tracks recorded:
a) Substitute
b) Don't Give Me No Lip
c) (I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone
d) Johnny B. Goode/Road Runner
e) Whatcha Gonna Do About It
Note: These were not original recordings, but 1976 "rehearsal" tracks recorded by Dave Goodman. They were dusted off & polished up for inclusion on the Rock 'n' Roll Swindle soundtrack.

The Audition Session
June - August 1978
Producer: Steve Jones?; Dave Goodman?
Studio: Rampart Studios, London
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/vocals); Paul Cook (drums); Dave Goodman (bass)
Tracks recorded:
a) The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle
Note: This track originally featured vocals by Steve Jones, but they were replaced by vocals recorded during a live audition.
b) Rock Around the Clock
Note: Lead vocals by Edward Tudor-Pole added at a later date.

The Final Session
March 1979
Producer: Steve Jones?; Bill Price (engineer)
Studio: Wessex Studios, London
Personnel: Steve Jones (guitars/vocals); Paul Cook (drums); Andy Allen (bass)
Tracks recorded:
a) Silly Thing (2)

Since I started on this project, a demo version of Belsen was a Gas with Lydon on vocal has surfaced. I'm curious to know when this was recorded. Was it attempted during the Bollocks session?

My assumption is that the Rio session was done at the behest of McLaren for the publicity (didn't he try and get Johnny to go down there, too?). The bulk of the remaining sessions appear to have been driven by the need for material for The Swindle soundtrack.
The demo of "Belsen Was A Gas" was recorded at Denmark Street, London. I've got more detailed notes and I'll post them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Date: 1976 May 15th (Saturday)
Studio: Majestic Studios (8 Track), 146 Clapham High Street, Clapham Town, London, SW4.
Producer: Chris Spedding

01. Problems
02. Pretty Vacant
03. No Feeling

Date: 1976 July 13th
Studio: Rehearsal Room (4 Track), 6 Denmark Street, Soho, London, WC2.
: Riverside Studios (8 Track), 78 Church Path, Chiswick, London, N16. (Overdubs/mixing)
: Decibel Studios (16 Track), 19 Stamford Hill, Stoke Newington, London, N16. (Overdubs/mixing)

01. Pretty Vacant (4 track backing track/rough mix)
02. Pretty Vacant (4 track backing track)
03. Sub-Mission (8 track mix)
04. Seventeen
05. Satellite
06. No Feeling
07. I Wanna Be Me
08. Sub-Mission
09. Pretty Vacant
10. Anarchy in the U.K.
11. Anarchy in the U.K. (Alt. take/mix)

Date: 1976 October 10th (Sunday) - Lansdowne
: 1976 October 10th (Sunday) - Wessex
Studio: Lansdowne Studios (8 Track), Lansdowne Road, Holland Park, London, W11. ("Anarchy" only)
: Wessex Sound Studios (16 Track), 106 Highbury New Park, London, N5.

01. Substitute
02. Don't Gimme No Lip, Child
03. (I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone
04. Through My Eyes
05. Johnny B. Goode/Roadrunner
06. What'cha Gonna Do About It?
07. No Fun
08. Anarchy in the U.K. (Vinyl Quotation No.1)
09. Anarchy in the U.K. (Alt. mix)
10. Substitute (Monitor mix)
11. Don't Gimme No Lip, Child (Monitor mix)

Chris Thomas now takes over the "Anarchy" session as band and label EMI are unhappy with the Goodman recordings for the proposed first single.

Date: 1976 October 17th
Studio: Wessex Sound Studios (16 Track), 106 Highbury New Park, London, N5.
Producer: Chris Thomas

01. Anarchy in the U.K. (Single mix rejected)
02. Anarchy in the U.K. (Single mix)

Date: 1976 December 11th (Saturday)
Studio: EMI House Basement Studio (8 Track), 20 Manchester Square, London, W1U.
Producer: Mike Thorne

01. No Feeling (Instrumental)
02. No Future (God Save the Queen)
03. Liar
04. Problems

Date: 1976 December 27th (Monday)
Studio: Wessex Sound Studios (16 Track), 106 Highbury New Park, London, N5.

01. Anarchy in the U.K. (TV Backing track)
02. God Save the Queen (TV Backing track)
03. Pretty Vacant (TV Backing track)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Date: 1977 January 17th (Monday) to 28th (Friday)
Studio: Gooseberry Sound Studios, 19 Gerrard Street, Chinatown, London, W1.
: Eden Studios, 20-24 Beaumont Road, Chiswick, London, W4.

01. No Future (God Save the Queen)
02. Problems
03. Pretty Vacant
04. Liar
05. EMI
06. New York

Then Chris Thomas and Bill Price record "Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols" at Wessex Sound Studios.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Great Rock 'N' Roll Swindle - Soundtrack/movie.

Date: 1978 January 14th
Venue: Winterland Ballroom, 2000 Post Street at Steiner Street, San Francisco, California, USA.
Producer: ?
Band
: John Rotten - Vocals
: Steve Jones - Guitar
: Sid Vicious - Bass
: Paul Cook - Drums

01. Belsen Was A Gas

Date: 1978 January
Studio: Unknown 16 Track Church Studio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Producer: Steve Jones/Paul Cook
Band
: Steve Jones - Guitars/Bass/Backing Vocals
: Paul Cook - Drums/Backing vocals
: Ronald "Ronnie" Biggs - Lead vocals
: ? - Saxophone

01. No One Is Innocent (A Punk Prayer)
02. Belsen Was A Gas

Date: 1978 February
Studio: Wessex Sound Studios (16 Track), 106 Highbury, London, N5. (Overdubs/mixing)
Producer: Bill Price

01. No One Is Innocent (A Punk Prayer)
02. Belsen Was A Gas

Date: 1978 March
Studio: Gooseberry Sound Studios, 19 Gerrard Street, Chinatown, London, W1.
Producer: Mickey Foote
Band: Black Arabs

01. Black Arabs Disco Medley (1st take/Demo)*
02. Black Arabs Disco Medley

Notes: * Released on the rare Australian/New Zealand "Swindle" double album.

Date: 1978 April 10th
Studio: Studio de la Grande Armee, Avenue de la Grande Armee, Paris, France.
: Wessex Sound Studios, 106 Highbury, New Park, London, N5. (Overdubs/mixing)
Producer: Emanuel Guyot (Engineer)
Band
: Claude Engel - Guitar
: Sauveur Mallia - Bass
: Pierre-Alain Dahan - Drums
: Sid Vicious - Lead Vocals (Three different takes edited)
: Steve Jones - Guitars (Wessex)
: Simon Jeffes (Penguin Cafe Orchestra) - Orchestral intro
: Louis Brennon (Jerzimy)*

01. My Way (Backing track/vocal take 3)
02. My Way (Album & B-side single)
03. L'anarchie Pour L'U.K.*

Date: 1978 April/May
Studio: Regents Park Studio, Primrose Hill, London, N8.
Producer: Steve Lipson (Engineer)
Band
: Steve Jones - Guitars/Bass/Backing vocals/Guitar overdubs
: Paul.Cook - Lead vocals*/Drums
: Sid Vicious - Lead vocals**

01. Something Else (1st mix)**
02. Something Else (Album & A-side single)**
03. C'mon Everybody (Album & A-side single)**
04. My Way (Album & B-side single)** Guitar overdubs
05. Silly Thing (Album)*

Date: 1978 May - July
Studio: Rockfield Studios, Amberley Court, Rockfield Road, Monmouth, Wales, NP25. (Guitar Overdubs/mixing)
Band
: Steve Jones - Guitars/Bass/Lead & backing vocals
: Paul Cook - Lead vocals/Drums
: Dave Goodman - Bass (Don't Gimme No Lip, Child)

Notes: Malcolm McLaren asks Dave Goodman to re-do " Silly Thing" with that "Now ow-ow-ow" chorus. Malcom is convinced it will be a hit.

01. Silly Thing (Album version)
02. Silly Thing (Alt. take/1st mix)
03. Silly Thing (Alt. take/2nd mix)
04. Silly Thing (Alt. take/3rd mix)
05. Here We Go Again (1st version)
06. Justifiable Homicide (A-side single)*
07. Substitute ('76 Wessex outtake overdub)
08. Don't Gimme No Lip, Child ('76 Wessex outtake Overdub)
09. (I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone ('76 Wessex outtake overdub)
10. Johnny B. Goode/Roadrunner ('76 Wessex outtake overdub)
11. What'cha Gonna Do About It? ('76 Wessex outtake overdub)

Notes: * Released as Dave Goodman & Friends

Date: 1978 June
Studio: Berwick Street Studios, 8 Berwick Street, Soho, London, W1F.
: Gwyn Mathias (Engineer)
Band
: Same as Paris for "My Way".
: For "Justifiable Homicide"
: Steve Jones - Guitars (Rockfield)
: Paul Cook - (Rockfield)
: Mark Farley - Percussion
: Dave Goodman - Lead vocals/Bass/ Synth
: Jamie Wylde - Backing vocals
: Martyn Hayles - Backing vocals

01. My Way (Unreleased/unheard mix)
02. Justifiable Homicide

Notes: Dave Goodman stated he re-mixed "My Way" but the studio bill was not paid in time. Dave delivered his mix to Virgin Records but it was too late to be used on the single. The single was released on June 30th 1978.
Dave also did further mixing to "Justifiable Homicide". This track is written about the death of Liddle Towers while in police custody.

Date: 1978 August
Studio: Ramport Studio, 115 Thessaly Road, Battersea, London, SW8.
Producer: Dave Goodman/Steve Jones/Paul.Cook
Band
: Steve Jones - Guitars/Guide vocal*
: Paul Cook - Drums
: Dave Goodman - Bass (According to Dave Goodman)
: Andy Allen - Bass (According to Edward Tudor-Pole)

01. Rock Around the Clock
02. The Great Rock 'N' Roll Swindle*

Notes: I think it's Dave Goodman on bass as both backing tracks were recorded before Edward Tudor-Pole auditioned and recorded his vocals.

Date: 1978 August
Studio: Rainbow Theatre, 232 Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, London, N4.
Producer: Julian Temple/Steve Jones/Paul Cook

01. The Great Rock 'N' Roll Swindle

Notes: Kids audition for lead vocals. Four are selected and among them are possible new vocalists Nicky Special and Edward Tudor-Pole.
Malcolm Mclaren likes Nicky Special but Julian Temple convinces him that Edward Tudor-Pole is the man.
All four sing a verse along to the previously recorded backing track. Vocals are recorded on day two of filming then edited together.

Date: 1978 September
Studio: De Lane Lea Studios, Engineers Way, Wembley, London, HA9.
Producer: Andrew Pryce Jackman
Musicians
: 45 piece orchestra
: Edward Tudor-Pole - Vocals*
: Steve Jones - Vocals**
: Malcolm Mclaren - Vocals***

01. Who Killed Bambi? (1st vocal take)* - this version released in 1981 as a single credited to Ten Pole Tudor ft. Sex Pistols
02. Who Killed Bambi? (2nd vocal take)* (Album & B-side single)
03. The God Save the Queen Symphony (Instrumental)
04. The God Save the Queen Symphony (Vocal)***
05. You Need Hands***
06. EMI (Orch)**
07. Friggin' in the Riggin' **

Date: 1979 March
Studio: Wessex Sound Studios, 106 Highbury New Park, London, N5.
Producer: Bill Price
Band
: Steve Jones - Guitars/Lead vocals
: Paul.Cook - Drums
: Andy Allan (Sometimes "Allen") - Bass

01. Silly Thing (A-side single)
02. Here We Go Again (B-side single)
03. Lonely Boy (Unedited rough mix #1)
04. Lonely Boy (Unedited rough mix #2)
05. Lonely Boy (Album version)
06. Black Leather (A-side single)

Notes: this session is really the start of The Professionals.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia