Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 8:43am
Well, there was a John and a Paul, and a member of the rhythm section was replaced as the group was about to go international, and the first of the band to die did so in New York. Everything else is, like, details, man.
I find this amusing
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I don't care about anything, the Sex Pistols changed my life. Everything after that means nothing to me. I'm sad for Sid's poor life. John can be an idiot I don't care. Steve and Paul can do whatever they like and Glen, he was always the brains of the band and I will always love him

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

coffeepotman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 12:31am
I don't care about anything, the Sex Pistols changed my life. Everything after that means nothing to me. I'm sad for Sid's poor life. John can be an idiot I don't care. Steve and Paul can do whatever they like and Glen, he was always the brains of the band and I will always love him
Exactly the same for me!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sex Pistols set the ball rolling here in the UK for me. But I think it's really the attitude of punk that changed things for me.

I don't care much for John's opinions on certain things these days. But he's entitled to his views.

It changes nothing of how great they were in 1976-7.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

we all know that, now who is Max Bygraves!?! ;)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 12:51pm
Max Bygraves sang the original version of "You Need Hands" which Malcolm covered on the "Swindle" album.

It's all connected. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 12:59pm
tepista wrote:
Max Bygraves sang the original version of "You Need Hands" which Malcolm covered on the "Swindle" album.

It's all connected. ;)
And if you rearrange the letters in Max Bygraves, you get Sex Pistols (I don't have time to confirm, but it feels like this should work out).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 1:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 12:59pm
tepista wrote:

It's all connected. ;)
And if you rearrange the letters in Max Bygraves, you get Sex Pistols (I don't have time to confirm, but it feels like this should work out).
That's enough of your McLarenesque tricks!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The outcome they can use all the music for the drama series but John's voice is edited out. ;)

It's been said many times before without John they would be just another solid rock n roll band nothing more. I mean no one's asking Cook 'n' Jones for tracks by The Professionals.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 1:42pm
The outcome they can use all the music for the drama series but John's voice is edited out. ;)

It's been said many times before without John they would be just another solid rock n roll band nothing more. I mean no one's asking Cook 'n' Jones for tracks by The Professionals.
This is true—Lydon was always the distinct element—but at the same time you don't want to establish a mindset that dismisses the others as non-meaningful contributors. Lydon's being a prima donna here—seriously, *this* miniseries is the disrespectful experience of his life? Shut the fuck up—but I fundamentally agree with him: if there's not a unity there, then there's no deal.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 1:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 1:42pm

This is true—Lydon was always the distinct element—but at the same time you don't want to establish a mindset that dismisses the others as non-meaningful contributors. Lydon's being a prima donna here—seriously, *this* miniseries is the disrespectful experience of his life? Shut the fuck up—but I fundamentally agree with him: if there's not a unity there, then there's no deal.
In the Pistols it was John who made sure all the songs were credited to Cook/Jones/Matlock/Rotten/Vicious. Always a four way thing.

He had his argument with the Sid & Nancy (Love Kills) movie so it should come as no surprise he was going to dislike this. Remember both Cook and Jones were on Malcolm's side in the original 80s court case until they realised John was right and they were going to get some money. They formed Sex Pistols Residuals some time ago and they've been making their money ever since.

I think it may be a case of John not liking the fact that "Pistol" is based on "Lonely Boy" and not "Rotten, No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs". It'll all end in tears with no winners.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 2:08pm
I think it may be a case of John not liking the fact that "Pistol" is based on "Lonely Boy" and not "Rotten, No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs".
I can't help but think that this is the core point, even if it's unconscious on Lydon's part. Christ,just accept that there are multiple interpretations of what happened, with people privileging certain aspects and ignoring others. When you confuse your perspective or interpretation with objective truth, you set yourself up for thinking the world is filled with liars out to get you.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 2:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I think it may be a case of John not liking the fact that "Pistol" is based on "Lonely Boy" and not "Rotten, No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs".
I can't help but think that this is the core point, even if it's unconscious on Lydon's part. Christ,just accept that there are multiple interpretations of what happened, with people privileging certain aspects and ignoring others. When you confuse your perspective or interpretation with objective truth, you set yourself up for thinking the world is filled with liars out to get you.
Pretty much this.

I like you think it should be an all or nothing stance from the band. John seems the most precious about the Pistols legacy. Cook 'n' Jones of course worked on the Swindle so they have already taken a large shit in that nest. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 3:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 2:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Pretty much this.

I like you think it should be an all or nothing stance from the band. John seems the most precious about the Pistols legacy. Cook 'n' Jones of course worked on the Swindle so they have already taken a large shit in that nest. ;)
Yeah, it's a paycheque to them, whereas for Lydon that history is tied up in his ego (and I don't mean that in a pejorative way). I don't have a real opinion on that—some history is worth holding tightly, some is best abandoned, and which is which depends on the person and their circumstances. And there's no love lost between the others and John, so whatever, grind it thru the courts.