Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 4:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 3:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 2:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 2:08pm
I think it may be a case of John not liking the fact that "Pistol" is based on "Lonely Boy" and not "Rotten, No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs".
I can't help but think that this is the core point, even if it's unconscious on Lydon's part. Christ,just accept that there are multiple interpretations of what happened, with people privileging certain aspects and ignoring others. When you confuse your perspective or interpretation with objective truth, you set yourself up for thinking the world is filled with liars out to get you.
Pretty much this.

I like you think it should be an all or nothing stance from the band. John seems the most precious about the Pistols legacy. Cook 'n' Jones of course worked on the Swindle so they have already taken a large shit in that nest. ;)
Yeah, it's a paycheque to them, whereas for Lydon that history is tied up in his ego (and I don't mean that in a pejorative way). I don't have a real opinion on that—some history is worth holding tightly, some is best abandoned, and which is which depends on the person and their circumstances. And there's no love lost between the others and John, so whatever, grind it thru the courts.
I doubt very much there are any "lost" Pistols tracks or rarities (other than a few I have) so I don't think Pistols fans are going to lose out much. ;)

Hey Marky a new box set is coming out with some unreleased "lost" tracks.

:disshame:
Last edited by Marky Dread on 30 Jul 2021, 4:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 4:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 2:08pm
I think it may be a case of John not liking the fact that "Pistol" is based on "Lonely Boy" and not "Rotten, No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs".
I can't help but think that this is the core point, even if it's unconscious on Lydon's part. Christ,just accept that there are multiple interpretations of what happened, with people privileging certain aspects and ignoring others. When you confuse your perspective or interpretation with objective truth, you set yourself up for thinking the world is filled with liars out to get you.
Pretty much this.

I like you think it should be an all or nothing stance from the band. John seems the most precious about the Pistols legacy. Cook 'n' Jones of course worked on the Swindle so they have already taken a large shit in that nest. ;)
Yeah, it's a paycheque to them, whereas for Lydon that history is tied up in his ego (and I don't mean that in a pejorative way). I don't have a real opinion on that—some history is worth holding tightly, some is best abandoned, and which is which depends on the person and their circumstances. And there's no love lost between the others and John, so whatever, grind it thru the courts.
I doubt very much there are any "lost" Pistols tracks or rarities (other than a few I have) so I don't think Pistols fans are going to lose out much. ;)
I still remember that first feeling I got as a kid when I erroneously thought Revolution in the Classroom was an authentic lost track.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 7:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Pretty much this.

I still remember that first feeling I got as a kid when I erroneously thought Revolution in the Classroom was an authentic lost track.
I bought We Have Cum For Your Children for that alone. Surely a Sex Pistols boot won't be some kind of fraud, 18-year-old me thought.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 7:23pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 7:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Pretty much this.

I bought We Have Cum For Your Children for that alone. Surely a Sex Pistols boot won't be some kind of fraud, 18-year-old me thought.
I think I have that somewhere.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

You suckers!

A bit like Goodman's claim of "super rare mystery track" on the sleeve notes.

I met Dave Goodman once by pure chance. One saturday afternoon in 1984 I was shopping in Kensington Market, London. It was the day I bought a huge Anarchy in the U.K. poster. I literally walked out of the market and bumped straight into Dave. I said hey Dave Goodman! He looked a bit shocked at first then I said I really like your production. He smiled and said thanks. I asked what he was doing and he was off to a meeting with some record label. I asked him if he had time for a cup of tea and he said he had an hour to spare. He asked me what poster I had bought and he said it was cool and then said the b-side was best with a smile.

So we walked about 20 yards up the road to the cafe. I bought Dave a cup of tea and we chatted. I explained I was just another mad Pistols fan and desperately wanted to know if there were any recordings left unreleased. He said he was in the process of getting a deal with Lee Wood's Raw Records. This release came out in 1985 as "The Mini Album".

I asked Dave about the Rotten tracks on the Swindle album and why the start of "Whatcha Gonna Do About It" was missing as The Small Faces version starts with a drum roll. And the version from the Nashville also starts with a drum roll (I had a bootleg tape bought from Kensington Market). The cafe Dave and I were in was only four shops away from the Nashville. Dave told me that the EMI master had become damaged but that he had a cassette tape of the recording that was complete. I said wow I would love to hear that and he said he would run me off a copy. So I quickly scribbled down my address. We finished up our tea and headed towards the tube line Dave went back up into the city as I headed back to Paddington.

Weeks passed and nothing arrived in the post and I thought he probably forgot all about it. A few days later I get home from work and my mum says a package arrived this morning for you. So I open it to find two cassette tapes no writing or any letter just two TDK plain cassettes I play the first one it's completely blank but the other one has the Swindle tracks on it but these are the pre Cook 'n' Jones dubbed tracks and the Small Faces cover is complete.

I played that tape over and over. I used to play it on my mums stereo system as it was better than mine. Then when I bought my first house I must've left the tape in my mums stereo. I searched for it afterwards but couldn't find it. I wondered if my mum had recorded over it.

Anyway it was long thought lost. A few years back I compiled the best of the Anarchy sessions and those outtakes and was annoyed that I no longer had that tape. The tracks had since been released on Sex Box and the dubious Pirates of Destiny. I played around with the start of Whatcha Gonna Do about it and kinda fudged the drum start to play like the tape. I shared the remaster with doc at the time.

Fast forward to last week. Now I'm living with my mum and she says she's got a load of old cassettes she wants taking to the charity shop. I decide to check through them to make sure they're in the correct cases. I find a Tammy Wynette case with a blank TDK inside and bingo it's the tape Dave Goodman sent me.

I've now digitized it and remastered it and it sounds pretty good. Interestingly Dave never released this fuller version of the session. Maybe he lost his tape or maybe he meant for me to record it on the second blank cassette and send it back.

Anyway I thought Dave was a real nice guy.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 23 Jul 2021, 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You consistently have the coolest stories from the old days, man. I'd watch the hell out of a series of videos of you shooting the shit with people from the scene. :cool:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 9:09pm
You suckers!

I met Dave Goodman once by pure chance. One saturday afternoon in 1984 I was shopping in Kensington Market, London. It was the day I bought a huge Anarchy in the U.K. poster. I literally walked out of the market and bumped straight into Dave. I said hey Dave Goodman! He looked a bit shocked at first then I said I really like your production. He smiled and said thanks. I asked what he was doing and he was off to a meeting with some record label. I asked him if he had time for a cup of tea and he said he had an hour to spare. He asked me what poster I had bought and he said it was cool and then said the b-side was best with a smile.

So we walked about 20 yards up the road to the cafe. I bought Dave a cup of tea and we chatted. I explained I was just another mad Pistols fan and desperately wanted to know if there were any recordings left unreleased. He said he was in the process of getting a deal with Lee Wood's Raw Records. This release came out in 1985 as "The Mini Album".

I asked Dave about the Rotten tracks on the Swindle album and why the start of "Whatcha Gonna Do About It" was missing as The Small Faces version starts with a drum roll. And the version from the Nashville also starts with a drum roll (I had a bootleg tape bought from Kensington Market). The cafe Dave and I were in was only four shops away from the Nashville. Dave told me that the EMI master had become damaged but that he had a cassette tape of the recording that was complete. I said wow I would love to hear that and he said he would run me off a copy. So I quickly scribbled down my address. We finished up our tea and headed towards the tube line Dave went back up into the city as I headed back to Paddington.

Weeks passed and nothing arrived in the post and I thought he probably forgot all about it. A few days later I get home from work and my mum says a package arrived this morning for you. So I open it to find two cassette tapes no writing or any letter just two TDK plain cassettes I play the first one it's completely blank but the other one has the Swindle tracks on it but these are the pre Cook 'n' Jones dubbed tracks and the Small Faces cover is complete.

I played that tape over and over. I used to play it on my mums stereo system as it was better than mine. Then when I bought my first house I must've left the tape in my mums stereo. I searched for it afterwards but couldn't find it. I wondered if my mum had recorded over it.

Anyway it was long thought lost. A few years back I compiled the best of the Anarchy sessions and those outtakes and was annoyed that I no longer had that tape. The tracks had since been released on Sex Box and the dubious Pirates of Destiny. I played around with the start of Whatcha Gonna Do about it and kinda fudged the drum start to play like the tape. I shared the remaster with doc at the time.

Fast forward to last week. Now I'm living with my mum and she says she's got a load of old cassettes she wants taking to the charity shop. I decide to check through them to make sure they're in the correct cases. I find a Tammy Wynette case with a blank TDK inside and bingo it's the tape Dave Goodman sent me.

I've now digitized it and remastered it and it sounds pretty good. Interestingly Dave never released this fuller version of the session. Maybe he lost his tape or maybe he meant for me to record it on the second blank cassette and send it back.

Fantastic story, Marky! (although the bit about the Nashville being 4 'shops' from the cafe you had a chat with Goodman in is confusing... surely not? 4 'tube stops' maybe from Kensington Market?)
And a nice happy ending too, with the mythical tape reappearing after all these years. Would you say it's a better version than the SexBox or Pirates of Destiny versions?
Dave Goodman certainly exploited his Pistols connections by putting out plenty of tweaked and reworked demos, but he played a vital part in the Pistols story and his book about his days with the band is a good read.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 5:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
You suckers!

Fantastic story, Marky! (although the bit about the Nashville being 4 'shops' from the cafe you had a chat with Goodman in is confusing... surely not? 4 'tube stops' maybe from Kensington Market?)
And a nice happy ending too, with the mythical tape reappearing after all these years. Would you say it's a better version than the SexBox or Pirates of Destiny versions?
Dave Goodman certainly exploited his Pistols connections by putting out plenty of tweaked and reworked demos, but he played a vital part in the Pistols story and his book about his days with the band is a good read.
Ha good spot I hadn't noticed that. It should've read "stops" not "shops".
That would be bus stops not tube stops though John.
I think High Street Kensington to West Kensington is about 12 mins away by bus and about 5 mins by tube.

Yeah I think it's better than both the Sex Box and Pirates. I think both of those contain the same versions with the Sex Box just having cleaned up versions from Pirates.. The tape did sound a little thin maybe from being overplayed and it's age. I have enhanced it with remastering.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Incredible read, Mark
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 7:36am
Incredible read, Mark
👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Good read mate. Didn't Goodman rework the Spedding demo's much to CS's anger
We Have Cum For Your Children would get you on the sex offenders register nowadays :scared:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 8:53am
Good read mate. Didn't Goodman rework the Spedding demo's much to CS's anger
We Have Cum For Your Children would get you on the sex offenders register nowadays :scared:
Kind of. The Spedding session was only available on a German bootleg 7" called "And We Don't Care" it was pressed poorly and ran too fast.

When Goodman put a couple of the tracks NOT on "We Have Come For Your Children, Wanted: The Goodman Tapes" but "Pirates of Destiny" he enhanced with echo and they sounded muffled. It was to get those tracks available to fans again. He only used No Feelings and Problems and didn't use Pretty Vacant.

It was thought that Goodman's release of No Feelings was an alt. take with slightly different intro. I was fooled by this for a time and included it on an a remaster I did. However when I put it under spectral analysis it was just cut short and ran too fast.

The 3 tracks were released on a set of 3 split 7" singles on Man's Ruin records some time back which claimed to be from Spedding's master.

Spedding's master was not used on Sex Box even though the record company sent a courier to fetch his tape from him. I have these 3 tracks in two different mixes and I have remastered them and they sound the bollocks as someone once said.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
You suckers!

Fantastic read, great story, thanks for sharing this Marky.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 10:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
You suckers!

Fantastic read, great story, thanks for sharing this Marky.
👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
You suckers!

Hello Marky,

You are a guy that does stuff and has the stories we all wish we had! What a happy ending!