Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 12:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 9:09pm
You suckers!

A bit like Goodman's claim of "super rare mystery track" on the sleeve notes.

I met Dave Goodman once by pure chance. One saturday afternoon in 1984 I was shopping in Kensington Market, London. It was the day I bought a huge Anarchy in the U.K. poster. I literally walked out of the market and bumped straight into Dave. I said hey Dave Goodman! He looked a bit shocked at first then I said I really like your production. He smiled and said thanks. I asked what he was doing and he was off to a meeting with some record label. I asked him if he had time for a cup of tea and he said he had an hour to spare. He asked me what poster I had bought and he said it was cool and then said the b-side was best with a smile.

So we walked about 20 yards up the road to the cafe. I bought Dave a cup of tea and we chatted. I explained I was just another mad Pistols fan and desperately wanted to know if there were any recordings left unreleased. He said he was in the process of getting a deal with Lee Wood's Raw Records. This release came out in 1985 as "The Mini Album".

I asked Dave about the Rotten tracks on the Swindle album and why the start of "Whatcha Gonna Do About It" was missing as The Small Faces version starts with a drum roll. And the version from the Nashville also starts with a drum roll (I had a bootleg tape bought from Kensington Market). The cafe Dave and I were in was only four shops away from the Nashville. Dave told me that the EMI master had become damaged but that he had a cassette tape of the recording that was complete. I said wow I would love to hear that and he said he would run me off a copy. So I quickly scribbled down my address. We finished up our tea and headed towards the tube line Dave went back up into the city as I headed back to Paddington.

Weeks passed and nothing arrived in the post and I thought he probably forgot all about it. A few days later I get home from work and my mum says a package arrived this morning for you. So I open it to find two cassette tapes no writing or any letter just two TDK plain cassettes I play the first one it's completely blank but the other one has the Swindle tracks on it but these are the pre Cook 'n' Jones dubbed tracks and the Small Faces cover is complete.

I played that tape over and over. I used to play it on my mums stereo system as it was better than mine. Then when I bought my first house I must've left the tape in my mums stereo. I searched for it afterwards but couldn't find it. I wondered if my mum had recorded over it.

Anyway it was long thought lost. A few years back I compiled the best of the Anarchy sessions and those outtakes and was annoyed that I no longer had that tape. The tracks had since been released on Sex Box and the dubious Pirates of Destiny. I played around with the start of Whatcha Gonna Do about it and kinda fudged the drum start to play like the tape. I shared the remaster with doc at the time.

Fast forward to last week. Now I'm living with my mum and she says she's got a load of old cassettes she wants taking to the charity shop. I decide to check through them to make sure they're in the correct cases. I find a Tammy Wynette case with a blank TDK inside and bingo it's the tape Dave Goodman sent me.

I've now digitized it and remastered it and it sounds pretty good. Interestingly Dave never released this fuller version of the session. Maybe he lost his tape or maybe he meant for me to record it on the second blank cassette and send it back.

Anyway I thought Dave was a real nice guy.
Hello Marky,

You are a guy that does stuff and has the stories we all wish we had! What a happy ending!
Cheers gk. 👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Charlie Dont Surf
Long Time Jerk

Post by Charlie Dont Surf »

Marky Dread wrote:
You suckers!

I met Dave Goodman once by pure chance. One saturday afternoon in 1984 I was shopping in Kensington Market, London. It was the day I bought a huge Anarchy in the U.K. poster. I literally walked out of the market and bumped straight into Dave. I said hey Dave Goodman! He looked a bit shocked at first then I said I really like your production. He smiled and said thanks. I asked what he was doing and he was off to a meeting with some record label. I asked him if he had time for a cup of tea and he said he had an hour to spare. He asked me what poster I had bought and he said it was cool and then said the b-side was best with a smile.

So we walked about 20 yards up the road to the cafe. I bought Dave a cup of tea and we chatted. I explained I was just another mad Pistols fan and desperately wanted to know if there were any recordings left unreleased. He said he was in the process of getting a deal with Lee Wood's Raw Records. This release came out in 1985 as "The Mini Album".

I asked Dave about the Rotten tracks on the Swindle album and why the start of "Whatcha Gonna Do About It" was missing as The Small Faces version starts with a drum roll. And the version from the Nashville also starts with a drum roll (I had a bootleg tape bought from Kensington Market). The cafe Dave and I were in was only four shops away from the Nashville. Dave told me that the EMI master had become damaged but that he had a cassette tape of the recording that was complete. I said wow I would love to hear that and he said he would run me off a copy. So I quickly scribbled down my address. We finished up our tea and headed towards the tube line Dave went back up into the city as I headed back to Paddington.

Weeks passed and nothing arrived in the post and I thought he probably forgot all about it. A few days later I get home from work and my mum says a package arrived this morning for you. So I open it to find two cassette tapes no writing or any letter just two TDK plain cassettes I play the first one it's completely blank but the other one has the Swindle tracks on it but these are the pre Cook 'n' Jones dubbed tracks and the Small Faces cover is complete.

I played that tape over and over. I used to play it on my mums stereo system as it was better than mine. Then when I bought my first house I must've left the tape in my mums stereo. I searched for it afterwards but couldn't find it. I wondered if my mum had recorded over it.

Anyway it was long thought lost. A few years back I compiled the best of the Anarchy sessions and those outtakes and was annoyed that I no longer had that tape. The tracks had since been released on Sex Box and the dubious Pirates of Destiny. I played around with the start of Whatcha Gonna Do about it and kinda fudged the drum start to play like the tape. I shared the remaster with doc at the time.

Fast forward to last week. Now I'm living with my mum and she says she's got a load of old cassettes she wants taking to the charity shop. I decide to check through them to make sure they're in the correct cases. I find a Tammy Wynette case with a blank TDK inside and bingo it's the tape Dave Goodman sent me.

I've now digitized it and remastered it and it sounds pretty good. Interestingly Dave never released this fuller version of the session. Maybe he lost his tape or maybe he meant for me to record it on the second blank cassette and send it back.

Yes, Thanks for sharing this story Marky,
Your agent won't be happy, giving this away for free, when he his working on your Book Deal. ;)

CDS
Someday you'll meet your rockin chair, Cause that's where we're spinnin
There's no point to want to comb your hair, When its grey and thinin

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 12:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
You suckers!

Your agent won't be happy, giving this away for free, when he his working on your Book Deal. ;)

CDS
Short book with a long intro. The main story is about when I met Heston and stole his love gun. The title of the book is "Rock and Roll (All) Over (Now)". It was written by my ghost writer Dr. Medulla.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wrong case, curse you Tammy Wynette.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 12:40pm
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
You suckers!

CDS
Short book with a long intro. The main story is about when I met Heston and stole his love gun. The title of the book is "Rock and Roll (All) Over (Now)". It was written by my ghost writer Dr. Medulla.
You should have gotten Ratty, stretch that fucker into a three-volume bastard.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 11:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 12:40pm
Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
You suckers!

CDS
You should have gotten Ratty, stretch that fucker into a three-volume bastard.
Haha brilliant! I could've just written a prologue and Ratty could've easily have turned it into War and Peace.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

A new box set. Marky, do you need to get your tape to them ASAP?

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/sex ... d-box-set/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 2:05pm

McLaren cackles …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:

What tape. ;)

Deluxe package. 80 tracks 8 unreleased. So when Universal released the NMTB box set
they had stuff in the vault like the instrumental of "Bodies" they should've included. Shittiest packaging I've ever seen. The 4th disc reads as duplication to me.

Someone still can't spell "Belsen". Two demos are listed but they are the same track just different mixes.

Nice to see a couple of extra Spedding takes from the Majestic session in '76.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 4:04pm
laxman wrote:

What tape. ;)

Deluxe package. 80 tracks 8 unreleased. So when Universal released the NMTB box set
they had stuff in the vault like the instrumental of "Bodies" they should've included. Shittiest packaging I've ever seen. The 4th disc reads as duplication to me.

Someone still can't spell "Belsen". Two demos are listed but they are the same track just different mixes.

Not the only spelling mistake, unless (Don’t Gove Me) No Lip is about the MP!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 5:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

What tape. ;)

It is about him....oh wait never mind the bollocks!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 5:09pm
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

What tape. ;)

Reminds me of this Viz letter
CLgsVl3XAAAx5L4.jpg
CLgsVl3XAAAx5L4.jpg (124.48 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 5:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 5:09pm
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

What tape. ;)

Reminds me of this Viz letter

CLgsVl3XAAAx5L4.jpg
Brilliant! You gotta love Viz.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 5:50pm
[Brilliant! You gotta love Viz.
There aren't adequate superlatives to describe how good Viz is. Any publication that refererred to Gove as 'the fish-faced fucker' is alright by me.
But, back to the (latest) Pistols box set, can anyone ID the eight unreleased tracks please? (Marky?!)
I can see CD 1 - tracks 4 and 5 listed as unreleased (No Feelings takes 2 and 3) but nothing else. Are any of the instrumental backing tracks new?
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 6:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 5:50pm
[Brilliant! You gotta love Viz.
There aren't adequate superlatives to describe how good Viz is. Any publication that refererred to Gove as 'the fish-faced fucker' is alright by me.
But, back to the (latest) Pistols box set, can anyone ID the eight unreleased tracks please? (Marky?!)
I can see CD 1 - tracks 4 and 5 listed as unreleased (No Feelings takes 2 and 3) but nothing else. Are any of the instrumental backing tracks new?
DISC 1:
1. No Feelings (Unreleased Take 2) (Chris Spedding – Majestic Studios Mixes, May 15th 1976)
2. No Feelings (Unreleased Take 2) (Chris Spedding – Majestic Studios Mixes, May 15th 1976)

DISC 2:
3. Anarchy In The UK (Instrumental (Manchester Square backing track)) [Mike Thorne Machester Square Studio Session Dec 11th 1976]
4. God Save The Queen (Instrumental) [Mike Thorne Machester Square Studio Session Dec 11th 1976]
5. Pretty Vacant (Instrumental) [Mike Thorne Manchester Square Studio Session Dec 11th 1976]
These three instrumentals have all released before on Sex Box they were hidden tracks at the end of each of the 3 discs. However it had long been thought that they were recorded at Wessex with Chris Thomas on December 27, 1976.

The other instrumental "No Feelings" from the Thorne session is also on Sex Box. So maybe its not these tracks they are referring to as part of the 8 unreleased tracks.

6. God Save The Queen (Unreleased Instrumental ) [Dave Goodman Eden Studio Mixes January 28th 1977 (recorded at Gooseberry Studios Jan 1977)]

DISC 3:
7. Bodies (Outtake – Instrumental June 18th 1977 ) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1977]

8. Belsen Was A Gas (Demo 2) [John Boogie Tiberi Denmark Street Rehearsal Room, London, Sept 20th 1977]

The second Belsen mix was only released on 7" as part of the 7" box set.

I've checked against the 35th anniversary Bollocks set and these tracks are not on it.

EMI (Outtake – March 3rd 1977 ) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1977]
God Save The Queen (Outtake – March 3rd 1977 ) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1978]
Bodies (Outtake – Instrumental June 18th 1977 ) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1979]
EMI (Outtake – August 12th 1977 ) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1980]
Satellite (Outtake – August 12th 1977 ) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1981]
Submission (Version 1 – Alternative Mix – August 12th 1977) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1982]
EMI (Alternative Mix – April 22nd 1977) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1983]
Seventeen (Alternative Mix – April 21st 1977) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1984]
No Feelings (Alternative Mix – April 14th 1977) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1985]
Submission (Version 2 – Alternative Mix – August 12th 1977) [Chris Thomas NMTB Sessions, Wessex Studios March – August 1986]

Ignore the stupid 2nd listed dates as they are a mistake. It appears that these are alleged outtakes and alt. mixes. This tracklisting seems to be a mess.

I'm surprised it's not mentioned on God Save the Sex Pistols site.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia