Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by revbob »

Yeah it all makes no sense, will he not make money from this series? I know he didn't want it playing out this way but he would still be entitled to money from it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yeah, with regards to legacy, given that the band was self-consciously wrapped up in the idea of a con, the assertion that one more interpretation of the band's story out there is tragic and lethal … well, that's laughable. The legacy of the band, whatever it is, will survive a movie or another release of Bollocks or a book or …. John's had his say in two books and the F&F documentary, plus upteen interviews. It's out there for people, it's not wiped away. Sid & Nancy is out there and despite its considerable liberties, the band's legacy wasn't shattered. The only thing being eroded and compromised is Lydon's own reputation.

It kind of makes sense, more and more, why Lydon is attracted to Trump—self-pitying, a circumstantial connection to the truth.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 7:51am
Yeah, with regards to legacy, given that the band was self-consciously wrapped up in the idea of a con, the assertion that one more interpretation of the band's story out there is tragic and lethal … well, that's laughable. The legacy of the band, whatever it is, will survive a movie or another release of Bollocks or a book or …. John's had his say in two books and the F&F documentary, plus upteen interviews. It's out there for people, it's not wiped away. Sid & Nancy is out there and despite its considerable liberties, the band's legacy wasn't shattered. The only thing being eroded and compromised is Lydon's own reputation.

It kind of makes sense, more and more, why Lydon is attracted to Trump—self-pitying, a circumstantial connection to the truth.
Hello,

...and a growing trail of litigation.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 9:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 7:51am

Hello,

...and a growing trail of litigation.
Ha! Usually, tho, it's Trump threatening to sue but actually being sued.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The other laughable, self-pitying framing is that he's a little guy who got thumped by the Disney monster. Okay, except he signed his name agreeing to majority vote back in the 90s. It's not exactly being overwhelmed by Disney's bank of Harvard lawyers, then, no? He signed away his veto power and this is the consequence. I still think he has the moral ground, that this stuff should be unanimous, but he took the cash 20+ years ago, literally selling away that aspect of his control over the band's legacy. What sad turd he's become.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 9:37am
The other laughable, self-pitying framing is that he's a little guy who got thumped by the Disney monster. Okay, except he signed his name agreeing to majority vote back in the 90s. It's not exactly being overwhelmed by Disney's bank of Harvard lawyers, then, no? He signed away his veto power and this is the consequence. I still think he has the moral ground, that this stuff should be unanimous, but he took the cash 20+ years ago, literally selling away that aspect of his control over the band's legacy. What sad turd he's become.
Like I mentioned further up. The Sex Pistols music is owned by Universal. Universal and Disney are somewhat rivals. John had no qualms leaving Virgin for one of the big three music companies in the world (Sony and Warners being the other two). Moaning about Disney is just stupid.

I would be less concerned about the music and more concerned with his portrayal in the film/series.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 12:44pm
I would be less concerned about the music and more concerned with his portrayal in the film/series.
I would like to borrow all the money I can and lay it on a wager that he will be extremely displeased. I'd also like to claim my winnings right now.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 12:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I would like to borrow all the money I can and lay it on a wager that he will be extremely displeased. I'd also like to claim my winnings right now.
Here's a fiver. ;)

I wonder what the deal is regarding his image rights. You do know that public image is his own creation. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 1:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Here's a fiver. ;)

I wonder what the deal is regarding his image rights. You do know that public image is his own creation. ;)
It's also his goodbye, which he seems to be speeding towards, or at least his reputation. That is an interesting thing about image rights. I would guess that the official stuff owned by Virgin got transferred over?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 1:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Here's a fiver. ;)

It's also his goodbye, which he seems to be speeding towards, or at least his reputation. That is an interesting thing about image rights. I would guess that the official stuff owned by Virgin got transferred over?
Universal bought out the old virgin contract. The first product was the NMTB box set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 1:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Here's a fiver. ;)

Universal bought out the old virgin contract. The first product was the NMTB box set.
So, yeah, I would assume that any photos or footage that Virgin used or could use would also be transferred.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 2:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Here's a fiver. ;)

So, yeah, I would assume that any photos or footage that Virgin used or could use would also be transferred.
Yep I guess so. Do artists have ownership of their own image? I just wonder if John could have stopped the film makers from using his likeness.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 2:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Here's a fiver. ;)

Yep I guess so. Do artists have ownership of their own image? I just wonder if John could have stopped the film makers from using his likeness.
I don't imagine so, otherwise any public figure could stop a movie or tv show being made about them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 2:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't imagine so, otherwise any public figure could stop a movie or tv show being made about them.
Great, I'm off to make a film about the Sex Pistols. I'm calling it "Swindled Again" (The Ongoing Saga of a Pop Group).

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 3:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 2:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Great, I'm off to make a film about the Sex Pistols. I'm calling it "Swindled Again" (The Ongoing Saga of a Pop Group).
Now, all you need to do is find a fat loudmouth to play the lead and you're good. Hmm, Donald Trump isn't doing anything these days …