Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 2:07pm
I guess the ultimate Lydon-esque "fuck you" is upending expectations that everyone has about him.
In principle, but every single person on the planet was expecting him to pAy ReSpEcTs to the queen, because he's made it clear for years of not decades now that he's just a conservative whose only real complaint is he doesn't like his tax money going to the royal family. The actual shocking thing would have been for him to profess some principled aversion to British colonialism or something.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

honestly, I couldn't give two shits what he thinks about anything. Let him take care of his wife, and make shitty music, I really don't care what he says or does at all. His relevance expired decades ago.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 4:14pm
Kory wrote:
I guess the ultimate Lydon-esque "fuck you" is upending expectations that everyone has about him.
In principle, but every single person on the planet was expecting him to pAy ReSpEcTs to the queen, because he's made it clear for years of not decades now that he's just a conservative whose only real complaint is he doesn't like his tax money going to the royal family. The actual shocking thing would have been for him to profess some principled aversion to British colonialism or something.
"If not for colonialism, we wouldn't have rock n roll or reggae, you silly libtard."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

weller259 wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 4:22pm
honestly, I couldn't give two shits what he thinks about anything. Let him take care of his wife, and make shitty music, I really don't care what he says or does at all. His relevance expired decades ago.
Nailed it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
People still talk about this like they're surprised about it or something, so they must still be hoping that it's all a game.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 4:49pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
People still talk about this like they're surprised about it or something, so they must still be hoping that it's all a game.
Sex Pistols were not a bunch of anarchist monarchy hating terrorists. They were a rock n roll band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 4:49pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
With me, it's snarky contempt for him being a Trumper and a sad, failed edgelord (plus the fact that he meant a whole lot when I was an alienated whiny teen).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 4:22pm
Case closed.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Nothing he says or does can diminish how great the Pistols impact was and what great music they made together.

When he was in the Pistols he lived in squats for the best part and had next to nothing. Now he's a millionaire and owns a few properties he's a completely changed man. Do I begrudge him that? No of course not, should I care he's changed his stance on certain ideals, well no I don't it's his choice. I don't even think it's fair to expect people to stay the same and keep the same values forever.

Do I want to hear his views anymore? No I don't as he is really a figure of ridicule these days. He is incredibly boring. He has a solid band behind him who are capable of making decent music. I sincerely wish him good luck in looking after his wife.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 3:32am
Nothing he says or does can diminish how great the Pistols impact was and what great music they made together.

When he was in the Pistols he lived in squats for the best part and had next to nothing. Now he's a millionaire and owns a few properties he's a completely changed man. Do I begrudge him that? No of course not, should I care he's changed his stance on certain ideals, well no I don't it's his choice. I don't even think it's fair to expect people to stay the same and keep the same values forever.

Do I want to hear his views anymore? No I don't as he is really a figure of ridicule these days. He is incredibly boring. He has a solid band behind him who are capable of making decent music. I sincerely wish him good luck in looking after his wife.
Very well said and if i had to take just one word from that, it would be "boring". However i expected him to grow and develop, i honestly never saw him becoming the crotchety old crank he's turned into. He's entitled to his views, of course, but his interviews and public appearances are dull and insipid, a complete waste of time. Not even the least bit provocative and laced with victimhood and self-pity. The sad thing is he truly doesn't seem to see that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 4:58am
Marky Dread wrote:

Very well said and if i had to take just one word from that, it would be "boring". However i expected him to grow and develop, i honestly never saw him becoming the crotchety old crank he's turned into. He's entitled to his views, of course, but his interviews and public appearances are dull and insipid, a complete waste of time. Not even the least bit provocative and laced with victimhood and self-pity. The sad thing is he truly doesn't seem to see that.
He has become a very poor caricature of his former self.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 5:10am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

He wants the adulation of being an outsider with the material luxury of being an insider. But he can't the fact that he identifies with the worst of the insiders now—the rich assholes who believe they're above criticism from their lessers. I can see why he sympathizes with Trump or the royals—all victims of criticism from people they see having no business questioning them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 6:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

He wants the adulation of being an outsider with the material luxury of being an insider. But he can't the fact that he identifies with the worst of the insiders now—the rich assholes who believe they're above criticism from their lessers. I can see why he sympathizes with Trump or the royals—all victims of criticism from people they see having no business questioning them.
If I feel anything towards John these days then it would be sadness in as much as the young man whose bravery inspired me didn't have the courage of conviction to see it through till the end. But as I said further up I have no right to expect anyone to keep those same values for a lifetime. Shame.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 7:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

If I feel anything towards John these days then it would be sadness in as much as the young man whose bravery inspired me didn't have the courage of conviction to see it through till the end. But as I said further up I have no right to expect anyone to keep those same values for a lifetime. Shame.
It sucks when you take a chance and claim someone as inspiration and they show you to be foolish for doing so. Sure, they aren't living their lives for any of us, but unmasking or devolving into the opposite stinks. It doesn't have to be that way. So, yeah, sadness.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 8:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 7:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It sucks when you take a chance and claim someone as inspiration and they show you to be foolish for doing so. Sure, they aren't living their lives for any of us, but unmasking or devolving into the opposite stinks. It doesn't have to be that way. So, yeah, sadness.
I don't consider myself fooled by John. I see it differently as I took inspiration from a young man fighting against the establishment and authorities and for good reason. And in some small part changing people's values at that time.

I would only consider myself "to be foolish" if I continued to believe in his bullshit which I haven't done so since the early 80s when he stopped making sense to me. I can't deny that I still believe he has every right to change his mind and maybe even his heart but I will never support those changes. It maybe that John started out being contrary just to stop people defining him but that stubborn bullshit has now become entrenched in every interview he gives. As far as I'm concerned anyone who comes out and supports Trump a man who would openly deny others the choice of movement can fuck right off.

Maybe we don't know the real John or maybe we do. Either way the John that is currently on show to the world is someone I care very little for.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia