Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 9:55am
Oh, it's still repulsive, but I prefer people be open about their values and the contradictions. We don't need to play dumb games.
in the same there's almost a preference to people who drop the veneer of their racism rather than play games, i suppose.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:31am
matedog wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:27am
Also, when was the last time Lydon played that song? 2008?
Is it relevant though even if it hadn't been played since 1977? It exists so will be played forever more.
I’m still not understanding his position. He doesn’t actually hate the queen as a person just the institution of the monarchy and that’s what the song was always about?
Ever since the single was released he has said he felt sorry for her. The song isn't about the Queen. Remember it's not even meant to be called "God Save the Queen" it's called "No Future". McLaren titled it "God Save the Queen" to maximize sales and get up people's noses because of the Jubilee.

The song is about the followers of the Monarchy being fooled by the "great institution". Just like today thousands making a pilgrimage to London etc to be part of the big event.

The line "it made you a morron" is about exactly the point above.

The irony now is how John likes the big event the marching bands etc. It's all so yaaaaaawn!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 11:49am
The song isn't about the Queen. Remember it's not even meant to be called "God Save the Queen" it's called "No Future". McLaren titled it "God Save the Queen" to maximize sales and get up people's noses because of the Jubilee.
True, but the phrase is right there in the lyrics. We can only blame McLaren only so far.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 12:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 11:49am
The song isn't about the Queen. Remember it's not even meant to be called "God Save the Queen" it's called "No Future". McLaren titled it "God Save the Queen" to maximize sales and get up people's noses because of the Jubilee.
True, but the phrase is right there in the lyrics. We can only blame McLaren only so far.
Yes it is but "God Save the Queen" was the national anthem so it's referencing the fact that it gets sung by the masses.

Personally I immensely dislike our national anthem. God save the Queen/King from what exactly a life of privilege and wealth. If anything it should be called "God Save the People".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 12:16pm
Personally I immensely dislike our national anthem. God save the Queen/King from what exactly a life of privilege and wealth. If anything it should be called "God Save the People".
I agree. It illustrates an enforced hierarchy that values the monarch over everyone else. Plenty to criticize about Canada's anthem, but at least we aren't singing that anthem of servitude anymore.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 12:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I agree. It illustrates an enforced hierarchy that values the monarch over everyone else. Plenty to criticize about Canada's anthem, but at least we aren't singing that anthem of servitude anymore.
Oh I adore the Canadian national anthem. It's the best in the entire world.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 1:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh I can dream …

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 1:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh I can dream …
Never stop dreaming. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh I can dream …
Oh Doc! And I thought you were so rugged!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh I can dream …
Oh Doc! And I thought you were so rugged!
Don't kink shame me!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Hilarious @ "The Canadian National Anthem".
I am certainly no John Lydon defender, I think he was disgruntled as a young man but he had some success and notoriety and he started making some money and suddenly he wasn''t as disgruntled as he had been but he couldn't change his persona since that's where the money came from, if he would just say that, i'd be less harsh in my opinion about his character today than I am.
However, I just had to say, writing a song lyric, I mean i'm not a professional song writer but sometimes you write a line that sounds good and fits what you're writing but isn't necessarily exactly what you mean. All i'm saying is, I can't take every single line of a song literally, its not gospel, its a song. Nothing more. Only John truly knows how he felt back when he wrote the song, maybe his whole public image was just full of shit from the very beginning.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:01pm
I am certainly no John Lydon defender, I think he was disgruntled as a young man but he had some success and notoriety and he started making some money and suddenly he wasn''t as disgruntled as he had been but he couldn't change his persona since that's where the money came from, if he would just say that, i'd be less harsh in my opinion about his character today than I am.
However, I just had to say, writing a song lyric, I mean i'm not a professional song writer but sometimes you write a line that sounds good and fits what you're writing but isn't necessarily exactly what you mean. All i'm saying is, I can't take every single line of a song literally, its not gospel, its a song. Nothing more. Only John truly knows how he felt back when he wrote the song, maybe his whole public image was just full of shit from the very beginning.
As sneering as I am towards him these days, that would devastate me if true. But, no, the righteous anger was sincere at the time, but it's morphed into part of the act. (I hope.)

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:18pm
weller259 wrote:
As sneering as I am towards him these days, that would devastate me if true. But, no, the righteous anger was sincere at the time, but it's morphed into part of the act. (I hope.)
I agree, I think the anger WAS real and sincere at the time, yet he was aware of his "public image" and did everything he could to manipulate the narrative around that including telling us all he was aware of it and that he controlled it. I still like the music he made up to "Album" about 1986 and nothing can change that for me. Maybe for you its a case of "never meet your heroes" or something like that, lol. All my heroes are fundamentally flawed and/or dead so ... lol
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Maybe he got fed up with being angry and shouting from the outside.

It feels like a case of "if you can't beat them join them".

It's all their in his lyrics. "I'm changing my ways where money applies".

From "It made you a moron a potential H bomb" to "you, you make me angry".

From a hurricane to a wet fart.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 9:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:18pm
weller259 wrote:
I agree, I think the anger WAS real and sincere at the time, yet he was aware of his "public image" and did everything he could to manipulate the narrative around that including telling us all he was aware of it and that he controlled it. I still like the music he made up to "Album" about 1986 and nothing can change that for me. Maybe for you its a case of "never meet your heroes" or something like that, lol. All my heroes are fundamentally flawed and/or dead so ... lol
It would have been worse to meet him when I was young and been devastated; I just plain wouldn't care to be in his presence now.